Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question The ending portion to the Alice in Wonderland attraction.

Ok this has been kind of bugging me for awhile. I love this ride and the movie as well. But the scene after the Alice escapes the queen and the cards....and you go outside for a very, very long time with nothing happening. Im curious as to why the ride was designed this way. It just seems very awkward for the ride to exit its theming with nothing going on for at least 40 seconds (holy moly) before going back to its final scene.

Your thoughts? Do you think there could have been a solution to this?

• Thinking about doughnuts

Re: The ending portion to the Alice in Wonderland attraction.

I think they were just solving a practical problem. Alice in Wonderland is built above Mr. Toad so the ride comes out on the second story and they had to get back down to ground level to the loading and unloading area. It may have been too steep going down in a straight line so they had the worm meander back and forth to lengthen the path. So it takes a while to get down to the ground. I used to really like that part as a kid. It was some time ago but I'm pretty sure the last scene didn't exist in the original ride. The worm just went down the leaf outdoors and then turned around and went back to the loading unloading area. The last scene was added later. So originally there wasn't a gap between indoor scenes. The last scene was upstairs and then it came down the leaf. Then much later they added the last scene downstairs and ended up with a gap.

Edit: I found a picture showing the old ending outdoors:

Quote Originally Posted by Macro View Post
    I think they were just solving a practical problem. Alice in Wonderland is built above Mr. Toad so the ride comes out on the second story and they had to get back down to ground level to the loading and unloading area. It may have been too steep going down in a straight line so they had the worm meander back and forth to lengthen the path. So it takes a while to get down to the ground. I used to really like that part as a kid. It was some time ago but I'm pretty sure the last scene didn't exist in the original ride. The worm just went down the leaf outdoors and then turned around and went back to the loading unloading area. The last scene was added later. So originally there wasn't a gap between indoor scenes. The last scene was upstairs and then it came down the leaf. Then much later they added the last scene downstairs and ended up with a gap.
    The Alice I've known as a kid was after the Fantasyland rehab. I would most definitely find it a bit more odd without the unBirthday scene. Although I have wondered what prevented them from squeezing in a scene or two on the way down though...money? space? Still the outdoor portion is probably one of the more memorable things I like about Fantasyland.

• Minion

ORDDU: My sisters and I have often puzzled over this very same topic. It made no sense to us, either, as to why the attraction's pathway led you outdoors instead of keeping you indoors for further adventures inside before finally ending the attraction in a more appropriate manner. Still, it's a fun experience and--like the rest of the story--it's a mad, mad narrative anyway. Perhaps it's wrong to try and make sense of it.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

That's my favorite part of the whole ride!

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    That's my favorite part of the whole ride!
    I loved going on AIW growing up just because of the outdoor portion. Very unique!

• formerly very helpful

The outdoor portion of the ride, IMHO, is more important to the esthetics and kinesthetic of the area for the people who are not on the ride than it is for those who are actually riding it. I agree that I am jarred out of Wonderland for a few moments before heading back into the "epilogue" of the mad tea party.
    Of course, you can get some real awesome photos from up there, too.

I love the outside portion! I especially love it at night time.

• Among mad people

I was always confused about the goofy yell when you go out the doors at the top.
    Just sayin'

Like Amanda949, I also really like the outdoor portion at night. I remember my Grad Night many years ago (1978) - and as my date and I emerged onto the outdoor portion at around 11 PM at night, it was quite thrilling to see the lights, hear the screaming from the Matterhorn, and feel the wind blowing on our faces. That section also provides a little contrast and a break from the "animated" part of the ride before entering the final scene.

• Minion

If my memory serves me well, there were some substantial differences between the original version and the way the attraction is now. The beginning is pretty much the same, but I do remember an effect once you got inside, of a large concave mirror. Your reflection in the mirror flipped upside down as your vehicle got closer to it - the mirror didn't move, it was just an optical effect. Your reflection flipped.

There was a room with large dancing flowers and a steep uphill section of track. We got stuck there behind a vehicle with 4 adults in it. I've told the story several times on this forum. I believe that during the 1983 refurb, they made the transition from lower to upper level more gradual, instead of all in one room.

The room with the dancing cards originally had teacups blocking the track. The cups were about half the size of the ones on the Mad Tea Party. Just before your vehicle would bump into one of the cups, it rotated out of the way. I'm pretty sure that room now has the groups of dancing Jack cards. I thought the rotating teacups were cool.

There was a rudimentary Unbirthday scene in one of the final upstairs rooms. I remember some sort of explosion sound and flashing lights. You then went through a series of doorways, which were dark except painted with fluorescent paint, as a series of ever-smaller doorways. As you went through each one there was the sound of the Mad Hatter laughing. Now, those doorways are painted with cards.

Then you went out on the outdoor part with the giant leaves and down that, then you got off the ride. As a little kid, I refused to go on the Matterhorn and the part on the giant leaves was plenty scary for me then, thank you very much. The extra rooms that you go through now, with the Cheshire Cat and the Unbirthday, were not part of the ride in those days. That area was used for storage of extra vehicles, according to someone else who posted on this forum.

• Briar Patch Bears Coach

Quote Originally Posted by Amanda949 View Post
    I love the outside portion! I especially love it at night time.
    Yep, I completely agree. The outside portion is definitely my favorite part!

Great story, Bob Weaver - you always share some very interesting tales about Disneyland. Although I'm a new member, I've been lurking at MiceChat reading all of the compelling posts, such as yours, for several years now.

The outside portion is my favorite part of the ride. I love it at night and also when the monorail comes by.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast