DCA version of the Enchanted Tiki Room

I really love the Enchanted Tiki Room. It's such a great example of the Imagineers pushing animatronics to the limit to put together a great show in a small footprint.

As I was walking by the area where the Maliboomer used to be, it occurred to me that I would really like a DCA version of the ETR in that spot. My first thought would be a show based on Toy Story. Have a room filled with toy characters that all come to life and put on a show that pushes the limits of current technology within the confines of that small space.

Any thoughts or other possible show concepts like that for DCA?

• formerly very helpful

Re: DCA version of the Enchanted Tiki Room

I love Tiki Room, and I think more musical, animatronic shows are desperately needed at the resort. At one time there were Tiki Room, Country Bears, and America Sings. Now there's just Tiki Room. I wouldn't want to see Tiki Room cloned there, but something in that same vein.
    As for a show concept? I'd have to think about that.

Possible show concepts for a Tiki Room like attraction on Paradise Pier:

-Magician show in vein of the classic golden age of illusionists like Houdini.
    -Freak show as an homage to carnival's/boardwalks of old.
    -Interactive boardwalk show which takes concepts of Miday Mania and the old Extra-TERROR-estial encounter.
    -A mish-mash of all the previously mentioned ideas. Maybe a carnival style show which incorporates elements of magic and freak show with guest interaction.
    "Fairy tales, then, are not responsible for producing in children fear, or any of the shapes of fear; fairy tales do not give the child the idea of the evil or the ugly; that is in the child already, because it is in the world already. Fairy tales do not give the child his first idea of bogey. What fairy tales give the child is his first clear idea of the possible defeat of bogey."
    -
    G.K. Chesterton

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Beauty and the Beast.....what better way to showcase dancing dinnerware than in a Tiki-Room-like venue!
    Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

• Done with MC.

I think that's a great idea. It would give imagineers tons of different characters to animate.

Quote Originally Posted by TheWhiteWhale View Post

-Interactive boardwalk show which takes concepts of Miday Mania and the old Extra-TERROR-estial encounter.
    -A mish-mash of all the previously mentioned ideas. Maybe a carnival style show which incorporates elements of magic and freak show with guest interaction.
    Save these ideas for DCA's upgraded version of Mystic Manor. It would be extremely popular, utilize that empty corner of Paradise Pier, and add magician, boardwalk barkers, and/or circus performer characters to the Adventurer's Club storyline started by Tokyo's Tower of Terror and Mystic Manor at Hong Kong.(I'd also have no problem with gags featuring the Mystic Manor monkey on trapeze, playing with the magician's wand, struggling to lift a mallet in a Test Your Strength boardwalk game, etc.) I love shows on a crowded day but DCA does have to cater to APs and their unenthusiastic response to It's Tough to Be a Bug, Captain Eo, Tiki Room, Lincoln, etc., particularly in the off-season.

• Minion

I quite like your Tiki meets Toy Story idea OP.

And if we're talking AA shows... I've often thought Country Bears would have been a great fit for somewhere around Grizzly Peak. It'd really fit the area and theme. Plus it'd be well received by fans.

"We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." -
    Walt Disney

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by TheWhiteWhale View Post

Pretty much these ideas are some of the things missing from PP imo. It;s such a big land it needs more. I would love a Mystic manor ride system that plays into a fun house type attraction. Also a AA attraction based on a Disney themed freakshow could be awesome. Use Disney characters for freaky humor. Things like a two headed goofy or something etc. Also I wish they would add a boat type ride to the area like one of those love tunnel attractions.

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Beauty and the Beast.....what better way to showcase dancing dinnerware than in a Tiki-Room-like venue!
    Yes! That would make a great attraction, probably not for DCA but could definitely work elsewhere, I'd be excited if they did that.
    "Hello folks, welcome aboard the Disneyland Railroad..."
    "The Gods have been angered by all the celebratin'..."

• Senior Minion

I think AA shows are dead, especially at DLR with its local heavy audience, and the only reason Tiki Room survives is that it is the original and has a cult following.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

If you like Tiki Room so much then why not have a California version in DCA, but replace the tropical birds with birds you normally would find in California? For example you could have California Condors, Quails, Blue Jays, Pelicans, Sandpipers, etc... You could also throw in California flowers like Poppies and stuff. Maybe it could be a bird version of CBJ where they sing folksy songs and maybe throw in a couple Beach Boys songs in there too for the shorebirds.

I would like them to do an AA attraction, but the key for the Southrn California market would be to keep it fresh and offer new songs every few months. Use a mix of Radio Disney/Disney Channel songs to draw in the younger crowd and have classic Disney songs for the older crowd. I think Food Rocks from Epcot and the Stitch Tiki Room from Tokyo could serve as inspiration.

I don't think Mystic Manor will ever be cloned although perhaps the Albert and Henry Mystic characters can appear outside Hong Kong. I'm not sure what the exact agreement was, but from what I understand Disney promised the Hong Kong government (who are partners in the HKDL Resort) that Mystic Point and Grizzly Gulch would be exclusive to that park.

Quote Originally Posted by sbk1234 View Post
    I love Tiki Room, and I think more musical, animatronic shows are desperately needed at the resort. At one time there were Tiki Room, Country Bears, and America Sings. Now there's just Tiki Room. I wouldn't want to see Tiki Room cloned there, but something in that same vein.
    As for a show concept? I'd have to think about that.
    That was the era I grew up in the park in and I desperately miss America Sings and Country Bears, any of the attractions where you can just study and enjoy the beautifully designed and animated animatronic figures. Even the loss of the Owl showing nature films in Great Moments With Mr. Lincoln I miss. I would love more of these animatronic show attractions.

My dream show in this vein would be a Star Wars attraction, a show in Jabba's Palace where he is auditioning new musical acts because he disintegrated the last one. The show would feature musical performances from all the famous Star Wars musical acts: Figrin D'an and the Modal Nodes (the Cantina band), The Max Rebo Band (Jabbas Palace band), and maybe a new band or one from the upcoming sequels (or the Ewoks or Gungans hah). I would just love to see a humorous musical themed Star Wars animatronic show attraction with as many aliens, droids, and weird creatures as possible. The Jabba's Palace setting would also allow for as many favorite scoundrels and bounty hunters to be involved. That's my dream anyway