Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

People Mover in WDW but not in Disneyland

I wondered why it is still running in Florida but not Anaheim? Are the safety issues specific to California rules but not so in Florida?? It was great to take my family on it this past year on our first WDW trip - so they at least understand what that vacant track they see running through Tomorrowland once was. I still enjoyed it - a nice little break and it seemed a popular enough attraction given the numbers in line to ride it.

• Not the Hawkguy

Re: People Mover in WDW but not in Disneyland

The People Mover stopped running in 1995, and was replaced by the Rocket Rods as part of the Tomorrowland 1998 redesign. The RR were taken out, and a few theories exist for why the PM hasn't returned. Among them is that the PM lost its grandfathered ADA-compliance when it was removed, so to put them back in would require a complete retrofitting of the entire track. Another rumor is that the RR caused a ton of structural damage to parts of the track that would require a rebuild (for reference, the RR was basically put on top of the PM track without reinforcing the track to compensate for the "faster" speeds of the new attraction).

• Certified in everything

The People Mover was replaced by the Rocket Rods in CA in 1998. When those failed it just never came back. So it is not a matter of why they took it away/why its not still running. It was replaced.

There would be costs involved with bringing it back and the issues mentioned above. I'd guess Disney just feels it is not worth the cost.
    Disneyland Wooooh!

"You see- Everybody's got a laughin' place, trouble is most folks won't take the time to go look for it."

• "What is thy bidding?"

Here is a great little video that sums up the demise of the beloved people mover.

Disneyland's abandoned Peoplemover and its story - YouTube

• Minion

Another question would be why Florida's PeopleMover did not also become Rocket Rods. Any reason?

Quote Originally Posted by bigcatrik View Post
    Another question would be why Florida's PeopleMover did not also become Rocket Rods. Any reason?
    Probably several factors: Test Track was being built/had just opened, Tomorrowland wasn't under construction/a major overhaul, the track layout wasn't as accommodating/not as expansive, the ride utterly failed in CA.
    Disneyland Wooooh!

"You see- Everybody's got a laughin' place, trouble is most folks won't take the time to go look for it."

• Minion

Two Words: Rocket Rods
    "Hello folks, welcome aboard the Disneyland Railroad..."
    "The Gods have been angered by all the celebratin'..."

Thank you all for explaining that to me.

• "What is thy bidding?"

I haven't been to DL since before the Tomorrowland Bafoonari took place, but the pictures and video look awefull with the rockets the the front of the land and the track that has no peoplemover above Tomorrowland. The area where the rockets once stood above the peoplemover looks dead and abandoned.

You will here it over and over again, if you still want to go to a Tomorrowland that still feels alive with energy and has the experience of the Peoplemover go to WDWs MK.

• Not the Hawkguy

Quote Originally Posted by cruise View Post
    Probably several factors: Test Track was being built/had just opened, Tomorrowland wasn't under construction/a major overhaul, the track layout wasn't as accommodating/not as expansive, the ride utterly failed in CA.
    Yeah, Rocket Rods was pretty clearly set up as a cornerstone of a new, high-octane Tomorrowland in Disneyland. It also helps that Florida's Tomorrowland got a slight retheming in 1994 to a "city of tomorrow", which let them keep their PeopleMover. That retheming also potentially stopped Florida from matching the Disneyland large-scale retheme.

• film975

I'm still not entirely sure if new OSHA regulations are the true reason why the PeopleMover hasn't come back in some form. Most likely the Imagineers are still waiting on the best idea for an attraction to replace it with. Otherwise, that track would've been torn down years ago. My vote is still for a TRON light cycle and/or light runner ride. Which would still require a major overhaul of the old track above Tomorrowland.

Quote Originally Posted by film975 View Post
    I'm still not entirely sure if new OSHA regulations are the true reason why the PeopleMover hasn't come back in some form. Most likely the Imagineers are still waiting on the best idea for an attraction to replace it with. Otherwise, that track would've been torn down years ago. My vote is still for a TRON light cycle and/or light runner ride. Which would still require a major overhaul of the old track above Tomorrowland.
    I don't know if I'd really say they're "waiting on the best idea" as much as they are waiting on funding/have other priorities and places they'd like to spend. It's been 14 years, that's an awfully long time to wait for a good idea.

As far as tearing it down, remember that doing so would be costly. Again, there are probably better places to spend than tearing out an old track with at least some potential.
    Disneyland Wooooh!

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by film975 View Post
    I'm still not entirely sure if new OSHA regulations are the true reason why the PeopleMover hasn't come back in some form. Most likely the Imagineers are still waiting on the best idea for an attraction to replace it with. Otherwise, that track would've been torn down years ago
    Disney doesn't tear stuff down just because it's idle (see the skyway stations for instance). That costs a lot of money and they tend to put things off like that until they roll it into something new. Only when it becomes a hazard, or is in the way of stuff do they seem to spend the money on tearing down without a replacement. Plus in the case of the people mover, its so integrated into so many places tearing it down would be quite disruptive. There are just so many reasons to 'do nothing' vs proactively tear it down.

As for something new... using the same space is just as difficult for the same reasons.. it's so integrated into so many buildings and spaces it complicates anything that doesn't fit within the existing footprint. And people like Baxter have said before the legacy peoplemover space has huge issues preventing it's use.. like the passenger ride envelope being too tight for modern standards (and probably why the Incredibles pod concept would have been enclosed ride vehicles) and lack of evacuation access at different points.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Goofy View Post
    Here is a great little video that sums up the demise of the beloved people mover.

Disneyland's abandoned Peoplemover and its story - YouTube
    That's a great little historical video and I like what this guy does, but 5 minutes in, he had to say "queue line"?! Oh, the humanity!

• film975

Well, we probably won't see the Imagineers do anything with the PeopleMover track until they finally get the green light to do another redesign of Tomorrowland.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast