Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

• Selfie Expert

Talking First trip post-baby! April 28th & 29th

Gosh it feels great to be writing a trip report!!

Be warned: This TR consists of tons of selfies. I chose this route because 1) they're fun and 2) I'm super self conscious of the baby weight I still haven't lost. If you're new to my TRs, please know that I am really not obsessed with photos of myself. I have a belief that most vacation photos should have yourself (or your family) in them, as that captures the memory of the moment more than just a photo of whatever you're seeing. (This is not to say photos without people are lesser!! That's just not my method of photography, as my style is for my memory and I have an awful memory!) I should also mention that I don't bother resizing my photos due to time constriction, ignorance, and laziness (at least I'm honest, right?). Also, I'll be doing this in portions as time (and baby) allows.

This trip was a quick overnight trip with my friend who happens to be a flight attendant. She flew us out on standby, we spent our first day in Disneyland, spent the night at the Anabella, spent the next day at DCA, then flew back home. It was a whirlwind, but we packed a lot of fun into it! Anyway - here we go!!

When we first walked up to the parks close to opening, I was a bit disappointed at the crowds. I was expecting to have low crowd levels, but saw that it would be busier than I thought. Not awful, by any means, but not the ghost town I was hoping for. Oddly (to me), the lines to enter DCA were much larger than those for DL.

The thing I was most eager to do, being that it was my first trip not pregnant in over a year, was to ride Space Mountain. On our way there, though, we ran into Bert and Mary. I didn't ask them for a selfie because there were kids waiting to meet them, but they took lots of time talking to us and I later regretted not asking since they weren't in a hurry anyway. Their interaction was a lot of fun, and set the tone for some great CM interactions throughout the day.

As we turned the corner I spotted the Red Wagon and decided I was hungrier than I thought, having been up since 4am and not eaten yet. My friend agreed that we should grab some corn dogs - yay!!

Finally we headed to what is arguably one of my favorite attractions (I don't know that I could REALLY pick a favorite, but this is on the short list)

Ready to blast off!! (Love the photo bomb in the background haha)

After our trip through Space, we headed over to Innoventions since we're both pretty big fans of the Marvel guys they've got there. Stopped by to say "Hey" to Ironman.

Then made our way to the Thor Meet and Greet queue area

I was really impressed with the little preshow, and of course fangirled over the Loki display.

Oh, how I wish they had a Loki and meet and greet. Thor was pretty fun, though. We were the second party to meet him for the day!

And he was my first ever character selfie!! Pretty epic, I have to say.

Next up, we went to meet the hero who just might be my favorite of the Avengers...

Thank you to Poisonedapples for my awesome signature!
    KellyMcG86's Disneyland To Do List

• Not the Fallen

Re: First trip post-baby! April 28th & 29th

Thanks for sharing your trip! Looks like you had a lot of fun. You look great for just having a baby!

• Selfie Expert

So excited to meet the Capt.

This guy almost had me convinced he was the real thing. He stayed in character through a pretty long conversation - it was so much fun!! I normally don't talk much during a meet a greet, I just take a photo and go, but today all the CMs seemed to want to chat. It was fantastic!

Luckily, he was familiar with the term "selfie".

I'll be dressing (Bounding) as the Capt for the 24 hour event, so I'm hoping to run into him again on that day!!

After a fabulous interaction with Captain America, we started wandering around deciding on our next adventure when we came across the Brave Meet and Greet. I had never met Merida before, so we got in line.

My awkward pose

I love this one

Merida was fabulously in character, though I didn't talk to her much. Who I did talk to a lot were the CMs manning the queue. They were so much fun and maintained their Scottish accents! I asked them for a photo, and they obliged, though I'm not sure if I should post it? They didn't do anything out of their scope... I'd love some input on what any of you think about that. If most think it's ok - I'll share it! It's a great photo and totally expresses the wonderful attitude of the CMs there!!

Anyway, we wandered by the castle and I mentioned that by the well there are usually characters out. I almost squealed with delight when I saw Peter Pan AND Captain Hook out!! I practically skipped over to the line to meet them.

Peter's face kills me. He was a blast.

We went by the Frozen meet and greet and asked about the line - 3.5 hours. Nope!! So I took a photo and attempted a (blurry) selfie with Olaf, then we headed on our merry way.

I was dying to see the newly reopended Big Thunder Mountain, and stopped by the ranch on the way to see if Long Lost Friends was going on. It's apparently only going on during weekends, but Woody was out and happy to oblige my request for a selfie. Love his pose!!

Next up -

• And Dad was my hero.

Quote Originally Posted by Jayden View Post
    Thanks for sharing your trip! Looks like you had a lot of fun. You look great for just having a baby!
    This! I mostly lurk but have really enjoyed reading about your journey becoming a (Disney) mom. Looking good!

• Selfie Expert

Quote Originally Posted by Jayden View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mom kissed Walt View Post
    This! I mostly lurk but have really enjoyed reading about your journey becoming a (Disney) mom. Looking good!
    Thank you both so much! I've just been lazy... I've signed up for the half marathon so hopefully that'll get my butt back in gear!

I'm glad you've enjoyed my TR. I love sharing my trips and love reading about trips others have taken! Definitely my favorite part of MC.

• Grim Grinning

Yay!! A Kelly TR!!

• formerly very helpful

Very nice trip report. It's great to see a "grown up" enjoying herself like a kid!

nice pictures of you and Superman.

You look amazing (and not just for just having a baby)!

• #bringevilback

Great TR, and I love the character selfies! I might have to steal that idea!

• Loving all things Disney!

You look great! Love the idea of taking "selfies" with the characters! Haha! That's a great idea!!
    "To all who come to this happy place; welcome. Disneyland is your land. Here age relieves fond memories of he past...and here youth may savor the challenge and promise of the future. Disneyland is dedicated to the ideals, the dreams and the hard facts that have created America...with the hope that it will be a source of joy and inspiration to all the world."
    - Walt Disney

• Mrs. J. Depp

Kelly you look fantastic!! Love all your selfies and wish I could pull that off. Every time I try it's blurry or I get half of someone cut off. Also, love the red in your hair, really pretty!!

Facebook me!
    Join in the Disney fun at MyVMK!

• Selfie Expert

Quote Originally Posted by amanda.collishaw View Post
    Yay!! A Kelly TR!!
    Yay!! An Amanda!!!

Quote Originally Posted by sbk1234 View Post
    Very nice trip report. It's great to see a "grown up" enjoying herself like a kid!

nice pictures of you and Superman.
    I'll never grow up. I just pretend to when I have to! Haha

Superman. Sometimes you're such a dad!

Quote Originally Posted by DL Lover in LA View Post
    You look amazing (and not just for just having a baby)!
    Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by CassiefRN View Post
    Great TR, and I love the character selfies! I might have to steal that idea!
    It was so much fun! Of course, I got the occasional comment from a passerby making fun of me, but it certainly wasn't hurting anyone and made for some unique experiences and photos!

Quote Originally Posted by CinderellaGirl View Post
    You look great! Love the idea of taking "selfies" with the characters! Haha! That's a great idea!!
    Thanks! I highly recommend trying the selfie method lol

Quote Originally Posted by IzzyInWonderland View Post
    Kelly you look fantastic!! Love all your selfies and wish I could pull that off. Every time I try it's blurry or I get half of someone cut off. Also, love the red in your hair, really pretty!!
    Thank you so much! I've had lots of practice with selfies. My husband gets annoyed with the number of photos I take, and my parents can't seem to figure out how to use my camera, so I've relied on taking my own pictures for many years. Now it's become a trend, and I just so happen to be pretty good at them! Haha

• Selfie Expert

This duck was in the BTM queue...

She was cracking me up as she didn't even budge when a train went by. Only in Disneyland...

Keeping with the selfie theme, I took a few during the ride. Not especially flattering, but amusing!

I shared the goat trick with my friend as well as the people in the row behind us. It worked really well!

I know these pics don't show the effects well since I obviously can't use a flash (would've ruined the photo anyway) and I have no idea how to do anything on my camera but zoom - but for whatever reason I like how they turned out anyway.

We agreed the new effects were AMAZING! Love this ride even more.

We stopped for some ice cream - I tried the Mickey ice cream sandwich. I wonder why things shaped like Mickey taste so much better than the normal versions?

My friend wanted a photo by the Club 33 door. This kind of hurt my heart.

As we were about to get in line for HM, Tiana walked by! So of course:

She's beautiful.

We went back to the mansion and I asked about seeing the "hidden graveyard". In all my visits, every time I've requested to see it (four or five times?) I've been turned down. Well, today was our lucky day! We were taken over to the GAC line to wait for our chance to see it. I had never been so close to the Hearst so I had to take a photo with it and touch it a few times.

We were taken over to the side of the mansion and shown the other (original, if I recall) pet cemetary.

Instead of getting back in the normal line, the amazing CM told us to just walk right up the steps. So awesome.

From here, we decided to bite the bullet and head to the ride with the longest wait time... without a fastpass. Why? I don't know.

Our wait was around an hour. A woman in front of me with a husband and two boys asked if it was my first time (my friend said, "HA!"), then asked if this seemed crowded. She had made the same assumption I had - that it would be empty - and was disappointed with the crowds. I tried to give her any advice I could on using Fastpass and some things to do with minimal waits. She seemed thankful. I hope she and her family had better luck the rest of the trip.

Anyway - a before and after:

You can't tell how soaked we go, mostly because it was all on our right legs. Gotta love that one-soaked-shoe feeling.

From there we headed to Pooh Corner (that will always make me giggle). We wanted to try some treats we've never tried before.

I wanted to buy an Olaf apple and keep it on a shelf forever...

I opted for the chocolate covered pineapple. New favorite snack!!! SO refreshing, but still chocolatey. Mmmmmm

My friend got the chocolate covered peanut butter sandwich.

We both found it too rich for our taste. Won't be getting that one again - but if you have a major sweet tooth and love peanut butter, you need to give this a shot.

From Critter Country I wanted to check out Fowler's Inn - I had never actually been in this area before (I know, I know).

I didn't try one of the potatoes there this time, but it's on the To Do List eventually. They look delicious.

We strolled through Adventureland. Indiana Jones was closed Jungle Cruise had a longer wait than we were willing to wait. So we did what we do best - shopped

Had to see Shrunken Ned.

I came across these little guys and had to pick one up for Sophia - I never see Pegasus!! And being a horse fanatic, he's one of my favorite characters.

We went into Aladdin's Oasis to see if any characters were there and I was shocked to see the whole back area was open! Another area I had never been in, and the man himself was there.

Next up, a trip to a galaxy far, far away...

• #bringevilback

Quote Originally Posted by KellyMcG86

Thank you so much! I've had lots of practice with selfies. My husband gets annoyed with the number of photos I take, and my parents can't seem to figure out how to use my camera, so I've relied on taking my own pictures for many years. Now it's become a trend, and I just so happen to be pretty good at them! Haha
    I have taken some bring trips by myself, starting several years ago (before smartphones!) and I was a pro at selfies long before they were even a thing! Ignore the naysayers...it's a fun new way to see disneyland characters!

• Dreaming of next trip

great trip report and great photos.
    Take photos for your self, some times I look through the folders of our past trips.
    I have found that it is the photos that bring back the memories so keep it up.

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast