Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 69
  1. #31

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Southern CA
    Posts
    864

    Re: Frozen really Expanding really Fast?

    Quote Originally Posted by Scarlet Spanky View Post
    I had started a thread in a different MC forum here relating to this.
    Once Upon a Time - Frozen?
    Glad you started one here, as it really seems to me once again that threads do not get read or responded to much in some of the other forums! What is the point of posting them in the "appropriate" forum if hardly anyone looks at them? We have a pretty active group here in the DL forum and discuss and debate all sorts of things Disney. I've repeatedly see threads die elsewhere that probably would have gotten pages of responses here. In fact, the same thread posted in another MC forum got no responses, but when reposted here started a healthy discussion - go figure!
    I too have noticed the Disneyland forum is becoming the "everything" forum. I've also noticed threads aren't getting moved to their appropriate sections... just saying









  2. #32

    •   
    • Chicago Gal
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    54,149
    Blog Entries
    120

    Re: Frozen really Expanding really Fast?

    I navigate MiceChat first by New Posts. That way, I see the new stuff first. I then check my subscribed threads, so I am able to catch up on threads that I have posted in. After that, I might check individual Forums.

    MiceChat is obviously being run shorthanded. I don't see as many active moderators as I used to.

  3. #33

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Near the Magic of Disneyland
    Posts
    390

    Re: Frozen really Expanding really Fast?

    I think Frozen's popularity is being driven by social media. There are videos on You Tube, memes, photos, etc. All of this was something the great animated films in the 1990s did not have.

  4. #34

    • Behind the refurb walls..
    • Online

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    7,933
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Frozen really Expanding really Fast?

    Quote Originally Posted by dazyhill View Post
    I think Frozen's popularity is being driven by social media. There are videos on You Tube, memes, photos, etc. All of this was something the great animated films in the 1990s did not have.
    But something a lot of great animated films from the past several years has most certainly had... so I really don't think that could be as big a factor... It's funny how a fairly feminist movie always has excuses for success... it can never be that people feel it's something the public actually wants.






    ~ Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday tomorrow and fantasy
    ~

  5. #35

    • Down Pluto!
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Altered State
    Posts
    4,060

    Re: Frozen really Expanding really Fast?

    Quote Originally Posted by Disney Analyst View Post
    I think you need to label that as "In my opinion Frozen is just above mediocre" as your opinion is in fact, not fact.
    If you think what I post is "fact" you are the one who misunderstands. So now we must label everything we post as "fact" or "opinion" - clearly and obviously what I wrote is opinion. How could anyone possibly mistake it as fact?

    Why are you picking on me and not for example asking Capt Hook label his post ("Frozen is 100 times better then Beauty and The Beast") as opinion? Is it just because I disagree with you that my post should be labeled opinion, and someone who agrees with you should not have to label their opinion as such?
    Last edited by Sambo; 05-14-2014 at 10:12 PM.







    I am Sambo, and I endorse this signature.

  6. #36

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    893

    Re: Frozen really Expanding really Fast?

    Quote Originally Posted by DreamsofColor View Post
    I too have noticed the Disneyland forum is becoming the "everything" forum. I've also noticed threads aren't getting moved to their appropriate sections... just saying

    Well DreamsofColor, I have noticed that sometimes an active thread that is moved to the "appropriate" section quickly dies there, after getting responses in the "inappropriate" forum until it is moved. That can get frustrating, too. (The most obvious example I recall is when I started a poll about whether people here read any of the other forums. Once it was moved to the "appropriate" forum it kind of proved that the majority of people here didn't. )
    The mods here are all volunteers, and it seems it can sometimes be a thankless "job" - you know, damned if they do and damned if they don't. Guess we should cut them some slack.

  7. #37

    • MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles & Orange County
    Posts
    21,358

    Re: Frozen really Expanding really Fast?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sambo View Post
    Why are you picking on me and not for example asking Capt Hook label his post ("Frozen is 100 times better then Beauty and The Beast") as opinion? Is it just because I disagree with you that my post should be labeled opinion, and someone who agrees with you should not have to label their opinion as such?

    Exactly. There's a double standard here. The truth is, if you really really get to the nitty gritty and dissect all of the Disney films, there isn't very much lacking in Beauty and the Beast, but there's a lot of room for improvement in Frozen.

    It doesn't mean it's wrong to like Frozen! It's just not made for everyone and people need to accept that. I understand that Wreck-It Ralph isn't for everyone even though as a film, it's superior. By superior, it has fewer story flaws and plot holes. Thematically and character-wise, I can see why people *might* prefer Frozen.


    Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

    Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

  8. #38

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Orange County, CA
    Posts
    131

    Re: Frozen really Expanding really Fast?

    Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    Exactly. There's a double standard here. The truth is, if you really really get to the nitty gritty and dissect all of the Disney films, there isn't very much lacking in Beauty and the Beast, but there's a lot of room for improvement in Frozen.

    It doesn't mean it's wrong to like Frozen! It's just not made for everyone and people need to accept that. I understand that Wreck-It Ralph isn't for everyone even though as a film, it's superior. By superior, it has fewer story flaws and plot holes. Thematically and character-wise, I can see why people *might* prefer Frozen.
    Part of the genius of Frozen is that it actively points out it's own flaws and plot-holes and is in many ways an ironic approach to what the audience knows to be a Disney Fairy Tale or a Fairy Tale in general.

    I do not think Frozen is the best film Disney has ever done. Not by a long shot. But it's probably the most complete Disney film since the renaissance era. As much as I might like Wreck-It Ralph more on a personal level, it isn't a complete Disney Animated Film.

    Frozen does everything a Disney film should do but also actively subverts the conventions and tropes which classify a "Disney Animated Feature". To this end, Frozen is a very "meta" film. It is very self-aware and it's obvious that the directors knew what they were doing. This is why Frozen is being called the best Disney movie since The Lion King. It may not be a better movie than Wreck-It Ralph or Tangled from a story perspective. Yet, put in the context of what a "Disney" movie is, it is a major turning point in the typical Disney vision.

    Couple this fact with the major media and merchandising hype machine and Frozen has already solidified itself as another turning-point film in the Disney Canon. Whether you like it or not, it's here to stay. For all of its flaws and imperfections it will remain a merchandising and media powerhouse for years to come.
    "Fairy tales, then, are not responsible for producing in children fear, or any of the shapes of fear; fairy tales do not give the child the idea of the evil or the ugly; that is in the child already, because it is in the world already. Fairy tales do not give the child his first idea of bogey. What fairy tales give the child is his first clear idea of the possible defeat of bogey."
    -
    G.K. Chesterton

  9. #39

    • Behind the refurb walls..
    • Online

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    7,933
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Frozen really Expanding really Fast?

    Just found this brilliant article, really worth a read if you are trying to understand Frozen.

    Frozen-mania: how Elsa, Anna and Olaf conquered the world | Film | The Guardian

    Frozen is a landmark in industry terms, too: the first film with a female director to gross more than $1bn. Like The Hunger Games movies, it has triumphed at the box office with female leads, part of a long overdue shift addressed by Cate Blanchett at the Oscars when she taunted "those of us in the industry who are still foolishly clinging to the idea that female films with women at the centre are niche experiences. They're not. Audiences want to see them, and in fact, they earn money."






    ~ Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday tomorrow and fantasy
    ~

  10. #40

    • Down Pluto!
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Altered State
    Posts
    4,060

    Re: Frozen really Expanding really Fast?

    Ahhh, that's just your opinions.








    I am Sambo, and I endorse this signature.

  11. #41

    • MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles & Orange County
    Posts
    21,358

    Re: Frozen really Expanding really Fast?

    Quote Originally Posted by TheWhiteWhale View Post
    Part of the genius of Frozen is that it actively points out it's own flaws and plot-holes and is in many ways an ironic approach to what the audience knows to be a Disney Fairy Tale or a Fairy Tale in general.

    I do not think Frozen is the best film Disney has ever done. Not by a long shot. But it's probably the most complete Disney film since the renaissance era. As much as I might like Wreck-It Ralph more on a personal level, it isn't a complete Disney Animated Film.

    Frozen does everything a Disney film should do but also actively subverts the conventions and tropes which classify a "Disney Animated Feature". To this end, Frozen is a very "meta" film. It is very self-aware and it's obvious that the directors knew what they were doing. This is why Frozen is being called the best Disney movie since The Lion King. It may not be a better movie than Wreck-It Ralph or Tangled from a story perspective. Yet, put in the context of what a "Disney" movie is, it is a major turning point in the typical Disney vision.

    Couple this fact with the major media and merchandising hype machine and Frozen has already solidified itself as another turning-point film in the Disney Canon. Whether you like it or not, it's here to stay. For all of its flaws and imperfections it will remain a merchandising and media powerhouse for years to come.


    If the directors knew what they were doing, that worries me even more. This is the first time that I can recall where they abandoned the original story and rewrote it in order to keep a song (Let it Go). In the past, songs were written to support the story. This is the first time the story was written to support the song… and I think it shows.

    Here's my point: Had Frozen realized its true potential story-wise, it still would have been the amazing phenomenon that it is. The only difference is that it would deserve it.


    But speaking plainly… as a shareholder, I'm really happy for their success. I only hope that they don't overdo it and kill this monster prematurely. There's an art to keeping something going and keeping it in people's face might not be the best way.

    Star Wars was huge… and then it went away. And then when it came back, it was bigger than ever. There's a real possibility that Frozen will be run into the ground the way Winnie the Pooh was.


    Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

    Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

  12. #42

    •   
    • Chicago Gal
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    54,149
    Blog Entries
    120

    Re: Frozen really Expanding really Fast?

    I wasn't having trouble understanding Frozen. I did understand it, but then I'm not the Target audience, since I'm 66 years old. By the way, I saw Hans as a fraud right away. It must be my cynical nature. I did like the movie. I did like the songs, and the messages they were trying to convey. However, for this generation of fans, if the movie brings them joy, then good for them. All of us, well almost all of us have had something in our lives that touched us deeply. Frozen has done that for many. I guess it remains to be seen if it stands the test of time.

  13. #43

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Morva in the Land of Prydain
    Posts
    4,412

    Re: Frozen really Expanding really Fast?

    ORWEN: I don't think FROZEN will thaw out for quite a long time.

    ORGOCH: Then, agin, it's gotta be careful with all that global warmin' ya hear tell 'bout.

  14. #44

    •   
    • Chicago Gal
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    54,149
    Blog Entries
    120

    Re: Frozen really Expanding really Fast?

    In the meantime, how many little girls/boys hearts are broken when they can't meet Anna and Elsa, or own a cherished item because the stores are sold out?

    I told you I was cynical.

    I guess this has happened since the beginning of time. Well at least as long as I can remember.

  15. #45

    •   
    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    SF Bay Area, California, United States
    Posts
    2,603

    Re: Frozen really Expanding really Fast?

    It is moving too fast. I want to see it settle in first and see the lasting power. IMO it's a good movie but not even in my top ten Disney animated movies. Its all based on preference though.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. 'The Fast and the Furious 4' - really?!
    By ALIASd in forum MiceChat News Archive
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 03-31-2008, 08:31 PM
  2. Did that CM really just say that?
    By MickeyMania in forum Break Room
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 02-02-2005, 09:40 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •