Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345

Re: Frozen really Expanding really Fast?

In all honestly are we really trying to conceive what could have made this movie better? When it hit a billion dollars in box office sales alone? Is there really room too nitpick?

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by justingoodger View Post
    In all honestly are we really trying to conceive what could have made this movie better? When it hit a billion dollars in box office sales alone? Is there really room too nitpick?
    I don't think a lot of people are trying to conceive of what could have made this movie better, more that some people are trying to figure out why it is as popular as it is.

• Selfie Expert

Quote Originally Posted by Disney Analyst View Post
    I have mentioned this before to friends, and they argued with me... But I firmly believe part of the success of Frozen is it is the MOST musical theatre styled score in YEARS. Princess and the Frog was sort of R&B Soul, and Tangled had this lighter, pop sound (minus Mother Knows Best)... but Frozen is BROADWAY, It is like seeing a Broadway Musical animated (that was my first thought the moment the film ended)... and the thing about good Broadway shows and scores... they are INFECTIOUS, and they can live on a very very long time (see Wicked, Phantom, Les Mis etc.)

So I think what they did was bring the magic of musical theatre, truly to a young and new audience... This is most of these kids first major experience with a musical theatre score, and it's something that sticks with you.
    Totally agree - this movie was written just like a broadway play (and even employed broadway actors), which is probably why I love it so much. The songs, to me, are so much better quality than most movie soundtracks.

Thank you to Poisonedapples for my awesome signature!
    KellyMcG86's Disneyland To Do List

• Down Pluto!

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlet Spanky View Post
    I don't think a lot of people are trying to conceive of what could have made this movie better, more that some people are trying to figure out why it is as popular as it is.
    Nailed it.

I am Sambo, and I endorse this signature.

Smile Re: Frozen really Expanding really Fast?

Disney is doing what every business does; they're capitalizing on a popular, money-making property.

The success of Frozen is only a good thing. Whether someone likes the film or not, and whether someone feels there's "too much Frozen" or not, it being popular brings in more money.

I see people complain about the popularity of the Marvel Studios films, as well. But, like Frozen, they're big money makers. Whether someone likes these properties or not, at least appreciate the fact that they bring in money. And the more money Disney makes, the more money they can put back into the products of the company -- whether that be other movies, the Disney parks, etc.

Frozen being "expanded" means that it's successful. As Disney fans we should be appreciative that the company is doing so well. If they were teetering on the edge of bankruptcy, everything Disney would be worse -- and that includes the parks. There are a lot of points made on this forum alone about Disney's treatment towards the California parks, for example. Now imagine if Disney didn't have multiple popular franchises to capitalize on? Everything, the parks included, would be worse off.

I also love Frozen, so I don't mind the Frozenmania. My two cents.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Little Mermaid came out back in the day… and even the boys loved it.

Is that the same with Frozen? Parents, is this only a girl phenomenon?

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

I work with over 300 middle school kids on a daily basis and have watched the majority of them, girls and boys, go from being excited about this film and its soundtrack to now feeling like it is being pushed WAY too much. I took a little informal survey and most expressed that they liked it when it came out but that over-exposure has killed it. I also get the sense, from their response, that they are getting their first taste of how marketing works.

I personally found the music awful, but then again Idina Menzel and that whole style of singing/music is not my cup of tea. I thought I was going to DIE during opening night of Wicked on Broadway. Loved the cast party though!

BTW I think the secret to this movie's popularity is Idina Menzel and the Wicked / Broadway connection. People go CRAZY over Wicked in New York.
    Last edited by traumwelt; 05-28-2014 at 03:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Disney Analyst View Post
    I think you need to label that as "In my opinion Frozen is just above mediocre" as your opinion is in fact, not fact.
    The idea of the forum is based on giving opinions so there is no need to preface anything with "in my opinion". The man doesn't like it. You do.

• Not the Hawkguy

Quote Originally Posted by justingoodger View Post
    Nothing is perfect. There's a reason summer blockbusters never get nominated for the Academy Award for Best Picture, despite dominating the box office. There are real flaws to pretty much every movie; the movies that do well at the box office tend to accentuate the positives as best as possible while pushing those issues off to the side.

For Frozen, my biggest problem is, for as much as I love the songs, not many of them flow really well with the story. As others have pointed out, it was almost as if the writers did the songs first, then wrote the story so that they could get to those songs. My other problem is that the marketing did this movie 0 favors, with the focus on Olaf and Sven (who aren't as annoying in the movie as made out to be).

But, for the flaws in the movie, most of it was brought together extremely well. One of Frozen's strengths is that it plays on our preconceptions of what a Disney princess movie is (focus on female, her true love saves the day) and carefully subverts it. While there is a romance plot, this movie is, at its core, a movie about sibling love. The directors sprinkle enough small moments throughout the movie to show that Anna and Elsa do care about each other, to the point where that climactic resolution feels earned. Add that to the catchy songs and beautiful art style, and its no wonder this movie became as popular as it did.

I'd feel comfortable putting Frozen up as one of the best Disney movies of all time, though I'm wary right now of placing it ahead of Beauty and the Beast and Little Mermaid.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345