Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

• formerly very helpful

Re: Rocket Rods Hatred

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    It took out not one, but TWO* really nice attractions (Big Thunder did that....but Rocket Rods was no Big Thunder)

It took out an attraction that could serve around 4,000 people in hour for one that could barely handle 1/4 that (less if you count the pervasive breakdowns).

It had no story.

It was the chief part of a perfectly awful Tomorrowland "upgrade"

*3 if you count the Rocket Jets
    4 if you count Rocket Rods, since now we don't even have that!

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by MrLiver View Post
    Rocket Rods was boring. It didn't have a story and relied entirely on the outside scenery to be interesting.
    Yep!......you could see the in-activity in the upstairs of the Starcade, the abandoned Skyway building, the empty MotorBoat Lagoon and the submarineless Submarine Lagoon too
    Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

After a long wait in line, the pay off wasn't worth it. A jerky, uncomfortable ride with too many stops and starts - which would've been solved if the imagineers were allowed to use banked turns (like at Test Track). The Rocket Rods was the poster boy of the 1998 Tomorrowland failures. Perhaps the 1998 TL steampunk vision of the future would've worked better if the imagineers were allowed a more generous budget to work with.

• Minion

I absolutely LOVED Rocket Rods, as well as everyone else in my family. We liked it more than Space Mountain. I don't remember it breaking down because I was a kid at the time. They should have never put the attraction on the PM tracks.

I was sad when the ride left.

• film975

I think the Rocket Rods would've worked better if the Imagineers built some kind of on-board propulsion system for the ride vehicles instead of relying on the old ones embedded in the PeopleMover track. That's probably why the ride broke down a lot because it wasn't designed to handle vehicles traveling at such high speeds.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by film975 View Post
    I think the Rocket Rods would've worked better if the Imagineers built some kind of on-board propulsion system for the ride vehicles instead of relying on the old ones embedded in the PeopleMover track. That's probably why the ride broke down a lot because it wasn't designed to handle vehicles traveling at such high speeds.
    They did have on board propulsion and didn't use the PM system at all. The PM used tires in the track to push the trains. RR's used on-board electric motors similar to RSR.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

Rode it just once when I was little and I loved it. Never saw it break down any of the times I was there. I'd love to go back in Doc Brown's time machine and make sure it got the proper budget so that it would still be there.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

Quote Originally Posted by Indy Fan 1 View Post
    Rode it just once when I was little and I loved it. Never saw it break down any of the times I was there. I'd love to go back in Doc Brown's time machine and make sure it got the proper budget so that it would still be there.
    Time machine wouldn't have done any good, sorry to say. Not with the management in charge at that time. Not even Tony Baxter could get it funded properly, nor could he get the budget necessary to make all of TL'98 successful. And the same management crew, is the one at fault for underfunding and making up one excuse after another for the failure of DCA 1.0

• Donald's #1 Fan

Imagine replacing the Mark Twain with a speedboat with 1/10th its capacity and that made the trip around the roa in 3 minutes. That's the impact, I believe the rocket rods had on Tomorrowland. IMHO they destroyed the place, and it never recovered.

• Your cadaverous pallor

the peoplemover was kind of like a showcase of a new invention only at Disneyland the prototype is their but rocket rods was just a thing they threw in to gets peoples attention
    I Fresh baked!

With its single rider line (the first at Disneyland) I never waited more than a few minutes for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Aladdin View Post
    Time machine wouldn't have done any good, sorry to say. Not with the management in charge at that time. Not even Tony Baxter could get it funded properly, nor could he get the budget necessary to make all of TL'98 successful. And the same management crew, is the one at fault for underfunding and making up one excuse after another for the failure of DCA 1.0
    A time machine would be useful to go back and make sure that management never comes to power.

• film975

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
    They did have on board propulsion and didn't use the PM system at all. The PM used tires in the track to push the trains. RR's used on-board electric motors similar to RSR.
    I stand corrected.

It was a really dumb idea. The only thing that might have been worse would have been replacing Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln with a animatronics show featuring Pee Wee Herman.

• Tourist

I regret that I never was able to ride the rocket rods. I was interested, but for two years in a row, it was broken down when we were on summer vacation.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast