Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Re: Rocket Rods Hatred

Quote Originally Posted by MrLiver View Post
    I don't have to. The proof is in the fact that they closed it.
    A few thoughts:

~Could it be that with nothing to really to look at anymore (motorboats, skyway, Mission to Mars, American Sings, all closed before the PM) the People Mover got less popular?

~Could it also be that the executives were thinking "hey, we can save money on labor and maintenance by closing 3.5* more attractions and just re-opening one to replace it with"?

~Monorail......I submit that Paul Pressler was determined to eliminate all movement from Tomorrowland(or maybe it was all attractions that couldn't sell plush). He may have never actually closed down the Monorail but the fact that he did not build a station at the Hotel the Monorail goes thru speaks volumes to me....could it be that the PM was plenty popular enough still but because it took 4,000 people an hour off the walkways and out of the shops he needed for it to go bye bye?

~Ticket Books......ultimately, the PM, Keel Boats, Motor Boats, Skyway and many of the rest of the "minor" attractions may have been doomed when the Pay-One-Price admission replaced the books (people didn't want to "waste" their time on too many minor attractions when they have been forced to pay a premium price)

*I count the elevator to the Rocket Jets as a half attraction here.
    Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

Quote Originally Posted by PrinceAuryn View Post
    I remember my favorite part of the line was going down the hallway, underneath Tomorrowland, and seeing the sign on the wall which stated the Rocket Rods path was eventually going to expand to California Adventure, and some other places which I can't remember. I can't find an image online either

• Sorcerer Supreme Bean

Rocket rods were the textbook example of a good concept done on the cheap.

If they had actually spent what was required in what they originally wanted to make the ride, it would have been a pretty good replacement for the PM, but it was not so we had a very underwhelming experience, when it was actually working.

It was a failure on all fronts coupled with massive lines due to its newness and constant down-times. And replacing a classic didn't help its case either.
    There is no right or wrong in this debate. It is simply a matter of perspective.
    -Dr. Strange

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Wren View Post
    Rocket rods were the textbook example of a good concept done on the cheap.

If they had actually spent what was required in what they originally wanted to make the ride, it would have been a pretty good replacement for the PM, but it was not so we had a very underwhelming experience, when it was actually working.

It was a failure on all fronts coupled with massive lines due to its newness and constant down-times. And replacing a classic didn't help its case either.
    exactly

• Special Agent

Quote Originally Posted by MRaymond View Post
    The wanted to 'revitalize' it because they no ideas of their own to improve it.
    They didn't want to improve the PeopleMover, they wanted to replace it. Popular rides get improved. Unpopular rides get replaced.

Quote Originally Posted by Dismayed View Post
    Way to totally obstinately ignore what's being said to you.
    For what it's worth I think you're actually likely wrong about the reason for the PeopleMover closure. It was closed because they wanted to replace it with a new ride. That is as clear as anything.
    They DID want to replace it with a new ride. You just have to understand that they needed to replace it for a logical reason. They don't replace popular rides, as the really big popular rides have been in the park for 40 to 50 years now. Do you think they will replace Pirates or Mansion anytime soon?

Quote Originally Posted by Dismayed View Post
    Ask yourself this: is it cost effective to take an attraction with a very large capacity and replace it with a much lower capacity attraction with potentially much higher operational and maintenance costs?
    If it drives attendance then yes. PeopleMover was losing money because of the high maintenance costs and low ridership numbers. Rocket Rods were losing money because of the high maintenance costs and the low ridership numbers. They were both closed. If you don't want to believe that they closed the PeopleMover because it wasn't popular or expensive to operate, that's fine, but then how do you justify them closing the Rocket Rods?

Unless you have access to the actual numbers on any of these things, this is ALL speculation. The backwards logic "proof is in the fact that they closed it" line just doesn't work.
    Occam's Razor. It's far easier to believe that there are logical reasons behind the actions taken by a highly successful and educated management team. The opposite of that, that there is some maniacal boogeyman that decides to randomly close popular rides while laughing and twisting his moustache is completely irrational.

Why do you think they needed to replace the PeopleMover again?

• Special Agent

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    ~Could it be that with nothing to really to look at anymore (motorboats, skyway, Mission to Mars, American Sings, all closed before the PM) the People Mover got less popular?
    Of course it is possible. Most of the rides connected to the PeopleMover were still open though, Star Tours, Space Mountain, The Character Shop and CircleVision. And America Sings had the Tron Tunnel.

~Could it also be that the executives were thinking "hey, we can save money on labor and maintenance by closing 3.5* more attractions and just re-opening one to replace it with"?
    Oh absolutely. It was entirely money driven.

~Monorail......I submit that Paul Pressler was determined to eliminate all movement from Tomorrowland(or maybe it was all attractions that couldn't sell plush). He may have never actually closed down the Monorail but the fact that he did not build a station at the Hotel the Monorail goes thru speaks volumes to me....could it be that the PM was plenty popular enough still but because it took 4,000 people an hour off the walkways and out of the shops he needed for it to go bye bye?
    No, they couldn't build a stop at the hotel because of the length of the beamway (that was a whole 'nother thread).

If the end goal was to just keep people in the shops, they could have saved themselves a lot of time and money by just closing the ride down with no replacement. In that regard, Pressler really goofed in not seeing how useless having a ride up there really was, and how much easier it would be to have nothing. The park has been hugely successful without the PeopleMover and since Pressler's Rocket Rods have closed, attendance has gone up!

~Ticket Books......ultimately, the PM, Keel Boats, Motor Boats, Skyway and many of the rest of the "minor" attractions may have been doomed when the Pay-One-Price admission replaced the books (people didn't want to "waste" their time on too many minor attractions when they have been forced to pay a premium price)
    Also entirely possible. Just like modern movie studios, theme parks sell tent pole attractions. You're not buying a ticket for 60 attractions, you're literally just paying ninety dollars for Space Mountain and Indiana Jones, and getting the rest for free. The proof for that is in the continued increase in attendance, after so many of the minor attractions have been shut down. As long as the tent poles continue to hold the place up, people will keep coming.

This is also part of the reason why the PeopleMover won't come back. IT will never be the next Space Mountain or Indiana Jones.

Ok, so what I have so far is technical difficulties due to bad design and PM nostalgia as the main reasons I think. Followed by personal ride experiences meaning boring/not boring and whether you're a thrill ride person or not. And apparently some sparked arguments. It's amazing what happens with a simple question. After talking to an Imagineer at the park one of the main reasons Rocket Rods was closed was maintenance cost. They had to change the tires every day because the surface of the track was left as non-skid. They didn't smooth the track down. Which leads me to believe that might have caused the down time as well. A car may have eaten it's tires faster due to the amount of people riding and so the tires were gone half way through the day, ride is now unsafe and it would take the rest of the day to change ALL the tires. The stress on the track was also a factor, it was not built to support that kind of force. The PM, unfortunately may have been shut down eventually anyway thanks to OSHA, ADA, and other lawyers regarding safety issues. It wasn't hard to get out of those cars and even though there was an elevator, if you were in a wheel chair you were out of luck. The ride never stopped and the doors and cars weren't big enough to accomodate a chair. Unfortunately if they stick with the actual theme of Tommorowland it also doesn't have a chance to come back. I don't think there will ever be a future for mass transit in that way especially with the Monorail doing it's job and big cities with subways. Especially when everyone is driving the freeway at 80+mph. Remember freeways were the future at one point. I do however think they should put the rockets back up there but instead they're putting the Millenium Falcon (said by Imagineer) up there and they want to put the rockets up by Space Mountain. I can see how they might do it but I think it will be a might crowded up there and even though it was built to hold a helicopter I don't know about several tons over a long period of time. And of course I just went on a rant that was completely off topic.

• Suspended

I don't think they'd need to change tires every day. That'd have been far too crazy to believe. Imagine taking out every Rocket Rod every night and changing tires... no way.

Let's see. Rocket Rods. An infernal, long queue that leads you through utility corridors sparsely and ridiculously themed. An ugly vehicle somewhat shaped like George Clooney's Batmobile, only naked. Completely devoid of any charm... riding on a flat track made for 5 MPH rides. Crossing through backstage areas nobody was meant to see, cruising on top of dead attractions. Making tons noise on an already crowded land. Starting and stopping everywhere. And lasting all of 3 or 4 minutes. Nothing to see or enjoy. That was the reason why I hated the RR - got to ride them 3 or 4 times on 2 different trips. It never got better, and yep, to me, looking at the PM tracks is a constant reminder of why cheapskates and bad Presidents were once THIS close to destroying Disneyland. Here's hope it'll never happen again!

Well the tires weren't like normal car tires, they were more like solid chuncks of rubber tand weren' that big. And non-skid is hell on tires, just ask anyone who ever served on an air craft carrier. It takes away layers pretty quick. And as I said it would account for all the down time if they needed to change the tires a lot and also just not change them and not run the ride for a while to save money. I remember seeing all of the rubber left on the track at certain places, it was pretty rough on those cars.
    Last edited by Puffin999; 05-17-2014 at 07:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DisneylandDragon View Post
    When you put in the phrase (when it was working) really kind of tops the list of why people hate it. It almost was down more than it was running. It replaced a nice leisurely 12 minute ride that people loved! What we got with Rocket Rods was a 5 minute ride that was neither really that thrilling or leiserely. Just because it went fast and did wheelies did it really make it a better experience than an informative loop around Tomorrowland in the PM? Just my .02
    Ditto. Loved the PeopleMover, and the first time I was standing in Tomorrowland watching the RocketRods going, it was very annoying. The "sound" it made was the WORST! I thought to myself, am I going to have to listen to that noise every time I come to Tomorrowland now? Yuck. Then, after riding the thing a few times, I thought it was such a waste of the PeopleMover ride. If the RocketRods had been placed in an entirely different location, and the PeopleMover kept in place like it should have, I would have been much more interested in riding both! I don't know where you would have put the new ride, maybe California Adventure would have worked, but the PeopleMover had such great purpose in Tomorrowland, I would have never removed it for any reason. Especially for those RocketRods! Bleh.

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by MrLiver View Post
    Of course it is possible. Most of the rides connected to the PeopleMover were still open though, Star Tours, Space Mountain, The Character Shop and CircleVision. And America Sings had the Tron Tunnel.

If the end goal was to just keep people in the shops, they could have saved themselves a lot of time and money by just closing the ride down with no replacement. In that regard, Pressler really goofed in not seeing how useless having a ride up there really was, and how much easier it would be to have nothing. The park has been hugely successful without the PeopleMover and since Pressler's Rocket Rods have closed, attendance has gone up!

Also entirely possible. Just like modern movie studios, theme parks sell tent pole attractions. You're not buying a ticket for 60 attractions, you're literally just paying ninety dollars for Space Mountain and Indiana Jones, and getting the rest for free. The proof for that is in the continued increase in attendance, after so many of the minor attractions have been shut down. As long as the tent poles continue to hold the place up, people will keep coming.

This is also part of the reason why the PeopleMover won't come back. IT will never be the next Space Mountain or Indiana Jones.
    Fair points all.
    Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

Is it fair to say not enough people liked Rocket Rods and that is why it closed? I always thought the line was indicative of the rides' popularity. Furthermore, I thought the reason it closed was, as has been stated previously (with much vigor I might add), that there were frequent mechanical problems and infrastructure damage/upkeep costs were to high.

Also, I never thought the People Mover was "replaced" by Rocket Rods per se. Yes, they used the same track but I guess I never made the connection that PM was closed to be replaced by a thrill ride that ended up being RR. The layoff between the PM closure ('95 I think?) and RR's debut ('00?) made me think that it was a re purposing of a former attraction rather than a direct cause and effect.

Quote Originally Posted by pinkertonfloyd View Post
    Big ups for finding this. I really liked that queue (although, fun, informative and interesting as it was, 2 hours in that room walking in circles was hardly bearable). I also liked the old ride vehicles spread through the room as well as the little opening where you could see the RR ride vehicles pass by above you.

LOVED ROCKET RODS. But the faults/drawbacks were mighty I must say.

• Former Churro Jockey

Quote Originally Posted by Puffin999 View Post
    Well the tires weren't like normal car tires, they were more like solid chuncks of rubber tand weren' that big. And non-skid is hell on tires, just ask anyone who ever served on an air craft carrier. It takes away layers pretty quick. And as I said it would account for all the down time if they needed to change the tires a lot and also just not change them and not run the ride for a while to save money. I remember seeing all of the rubber left on the track at certain places, it was pretty rough on those cars.
    Now, keep in mind that we get a lot of bad info as CM's, so I can't say for sure that this is the case, but at the time we were told that the extensive downtime was due to the rotors (brakes) having to constantly be replaced. I hadn't heard about the tires but it makes sense that both would be true.
    Disneyland Cast Member
    Outdoor Vending
    1996 - 1999

My interview with MiceAge about working at Disneyland:
    http://micechat.com/blogs/mouth-of-t...ding-crew.html

• former CM

Quote Originally Posted by Daboltz View Post
    I hated the Rocket Rods because it replaced the People Mover!
    That and because it combined the speed of Heimlich's Chew Chew Train with the constraints of Disneyland Paris' Space Mountain.
    OK, I'm exaggerating just a little.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast