Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Rocket Rods Hatred

I've heard so much about how much some people hated Rocket Rods but no one has ever said why? I happened to like it (when it was working) and thought it was a fun new way to use the old people mover track. The idea wasn't exicuted properly but I think with a little better planning it could have worked.

So....for those who didn't like it, I'd like to hear your thoughts as to why. Too fast? Too slow? Kept hitting your head? What?

Re: Rocket Rods Hatred

When you put in the phrase (when it was working) really kind of tops the list of why people hate it. It almost was down more than it was running. It replaced a nice leisurely 12 minute ride that people loved! What we got with Rocket Rods was a 5 minute ride that was neither really that thrilling or leiserely. Just because it went fast and did wheelies did it really make it a better experience than an informative loop around Tomorrowland in the PM? Just my .02
    Last edited by DisneylandDragon; 05-14-2014 at 12:33 PM.

• formerly very helpful

I thought it was okay, but the problem was it took away a great experience that a guest could savor and gave us a rushed experience that wasn't particularly memorable. WIth the original, you could enjoy the views, take great photos, get a nice rest and cool down. But Rocket Rods had none of this going for it, except it was fast. It was like the difference between a peaceful stroll through a beautiful garden, and sprinting through it.

Quote Originally Posted by sbk1234 View Post
    I thought it was okay, but the problem was it took away a great experience that a guest could savor and gave us a rushed experience that wasn't particularly memorable. WIth the original, you could enjoy the views, take great photos, get a nice rest and cool down. But Rocket Rods had none of this going for it, except it was fast. It was like the difference between a peaceful stroll through a beautiful garden, and sprinting through it.
    ^^This^^ And they were down more than working. I rode them once with my kids; my son was about 9. His seatbelt came off shortly after starting the ride, so we rode the whole ride with my arm across his chest so he wouldn't fall off. Last time we rode it.

I'm not the best person to talk to about Rocket Rods because I personally loved the hell out of it.

Yes, it died a lot. Yes, the tracks should have been banked.

Puffin, this was the biggest issue. Basically the cars would accelerate down the road, then have to break to turn. It would accelerate when it didn't have to turn super sharply, but everytime a major turn came up, it had to break. The tires had to replaced every few days? Hours? Something huge like that, and eventually they it just cost too much or something?

I loved the theme inside of the big circle vision theater. I was mesmerized by the future-tech videos, and I wanted that future to be real!

I remember my favorite part of the line was going down the hallway, underneath Tomorrowland, and seeing the sign on the wall which stated the Rocket Rods path was eventually going to expand to California Adventure, and some other places which I can't remember. I can't find an image online either

My favorite memory of Rocket Rods was once I went late at night before the park was going to close. There was no line for some reason, so I jumped on and I got my own car, sitting in the front. While it was way out near Autopia the ride died, but the music stayed on. We didn't receive any messages, so for about 5 minutes or so I just sat there, surrounded by music, and the night. It was pretty cool, and it solidified The Rocket Rods as one of my favorite rides.

I still miss it!

• film975

Bottom line... the Rocket Rods were an interesting idea... but poorly executed. And they definitely were not worth the two hour or sometimes longer wait in line.

• Production Designer

The only thing I "hated" about the Rocket Rods was the loud noise they made on the track. Other than that it was a pretty fun ride.

• Sock Puppet

I found it exceedingly boring. Going through the Star Tours queue and through Space Mountain was totally pointless, because you went through so fast you couldn't enjoy it at all. Getting to go through the inside of Space Mountain slowly was one of the best parts of riding the PeopleMover. I remember thinking at the time "if I wanted to go fast, I'd rather just ride Space Mountain".

Other than that the indoor portions of the track were black walls and a stupid obvious looking mirror at one point that I guess was supposed to trick you into thinking you're going to crash into another vehicle... but the effect didn't work at all. There was also a traffic light at one point I believe? Really barebones and boring.

The sound that the ride made was also really annoying and I remember people remarking on it a lot at the time.

PrinceAuryn, I liked the ride too and I have plenty of memories of it. My favorite was racing the Monorail. And I liked the use of Circle Vision for the line and seeing the old people mover car and momorail. I'm not trying to belittle anyone's opinion, just trying to get an unofficial poll and understand why people didn't like it. It seems to top a lot of posts on here for unfavorable ride/line. So far it sounds like technical difficulties is topping the list. Followed by personal preference for the people mover. I have ridden both so I understand the difference.

• Ambassador of good will

I hated the Rocket Rods because it replaced the People Mover!
    "Raiders Suck"
    -Walt Disney

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

It took out not one, but TWO* really nice attractions (Big Thunder did that....but Rocket Rods was no Big Thunder)

It took out an attraction that could serve around 4,000 people in hour for one that could barely handle 1/4 that (less if you count the pervasive breakdowns).

It had no story.

It was the chief part of a perfectly awful Tomorrowland "upgrade"

*3 if you count the Rocket Jets
    Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

• Ambassador of good will

besides, I think people had a hatred with the "new" Tomorrowland in general. From Innovations, the relocation of the Astro-Jets, Honey I shrunk the Audience and Rocket Rods made this once great land totally irrelevant.
    "Raiders Suck"
    -Walt Disney

Wow I guess I'm going to have to start a thread about Innoventions too. As far as I saw it, it was the only thing in Tommorowland that had anything to do with the future. I wish the floor still spun. And I know what was there before and why the floor spins.

•   
    • Minion

I thought they were fun. My gripe though was they could have done so much more with their concept. Then when they had issues they abandoned it which is what I hate most! Honestly how much money would it have taken to fix it and theme it to TRON just using the PM/RR footprint and add some show scenes or something? Especially in 2001 money!

• Special Agent

Rocket Rods was boring. It didn't have a story and relied entirely on the outside scenery to be interesting.

But so did the People Mover. People Mover was boring and didn't have a story either.

They both broke down a lot too.

The only big difference was that 90 minute wait to ride Rocket Rods. If I had to wait 90 minutes to ride the People Mover I probably would have hated that too.

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast