Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• I Heart DL!

OMG It's our Princesses! Gumball Rally Trip Report- FINALLY!

My FAVORITE thing on the Mice Chat forums is the amazing trip reports so I thought I'd give a stab at it!

Pre-rally planning:

This was our 2nd rally- last year we competed as The Lost Girls and had so much fun, we couldn't wait to do it again!

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 763
Size:  166.5 KB

We noticed a lot of other teams came up with strong strategies and did several practice runs prior to the rally. Being from Phoenix and only getting to visit Disneyland once a year, we weren't able to plan too much- the majority of our planning went into our outfits. We are big fans of Disneybounding (thanks Pinterest) so we decided to bound as "our princesses" Ariel and Aurora. To be a little out of the box we chose their "casual day wear"- Aurora in her peasant Briar Rose clothing and Ariel in her Kiss the Girl dress. We were pretty happy with what we came up with and they were SUPER COMFORTABLE!
Views: 760
Size:  144.1 KB
    We discussed a little bit of strategy but knew EVERYTHING would change the day of the race!

PASTA PARTY!

We took the opportunity to attend the Pre rally pasta party again this year and made some new friends including Heather from "Small Park, Big World" and Rally spotter Stephanie (whom we got to ride Space Mountain with the next day) It was a delicious dinner and those Tangeritas are to DIE for! Sadly, we forgot to take pics at the party but here's one of our delicious drinks from last year. I had the Tangerita and Chrissy had something blue I highly recommend the drinks at the Tangerine Bar and they have Happy Hour!
    Name:  tangerita.jpg
Views: 787
Size:  117.9 KB

ESPN Zone Pre-Rally Breakfast
    Since we attended the Pasta Party, we didn't have to get to breakfast super early because we had already registered (that extra 30 minutes to sleep is incredible!) We got to sit with Charlie Arnold- creator of the rally and designer of each year's amazing trophy. It was so cool to hear the story of how the Rally came into existence and hear some past rally stories. We even brainstormed a "drinking" rally. Ha! Ha! Ha!
    Name:  lanyard.jpg
Views: 784
Size:  153.3 KB
    Charlie's Lanyards from all previous rallies

After finishing our delicious breakfast burritos, (OMG they were so good!) we took some time to mingle with other teams and take a few pcitures before it was time to race!
    Name:  disneylad 003.JPG
Views: 784
Size:  151.1 KB
    We were BIG fans of the "Happy" hat- had to get a pic with "The HAPPIEST Team on Earth"

Name:  disneylad 005.JPG
Views: 787
Size:  133.6 KB
    Finally got to meet the Indiana Janes (AKA Ghost Host AKA Wandering Oakens)
    We loved their YouTube videos of the last two rallies and they are so sweet!

Name:  disneylad 007.JPG
Views: 783
Size:  123.5 KB
    One of our favorite teams from last year didn't make it out this year but they made a cameo in the slide show playing at breakfast. Look at the screen! It's the Jungle Cruise Jedi! And who's that in the bottom left of the picture? It's everyone's favorite team "It Doesn't Matterhorn!"

Up Next: Five minutes into the race and our strategy has been abandoned!

*Sidenote it's REALLY HARD to do these trip reports with a two year old around!
    Last edited by kandirae; 05-16-2014 at 12:07 PM.

• Proud owner: 50th Tiki

Re: OMG It's our Princesses! Gumball Rally Trip Report- FINALLY!

Next year there had better be a team photo with "Dead Men Blow no Bubbles"....or you will have some serious explaining to do!!!

• Certified DL Addict

Our team saw you guys a bunch during the day And your disney-bounding outfits were adorable!
    2014 Gumball Rally Team- Skyway Sweethearts
    *~Disneyland Premium Annual Passholder~*

• I Heart DL!

Quote Originally Posted by the702senior09 View Post
    Our team saw you guys a bunch during the day And your disney-bounding outfits were adorable!
    Thank you! We didn't get to talk to you guys at all but I heard you guys had met for the first time at the rally. That's so cool! What a fun way to meet new Disney fans!

• I Heart DL!

Quote Originally Posted by RPDigger View Post
    Next year there had better be a team photo with "Dead Men Blow no Bubbles"....or you will have some serious explaining to do!!!
    I know! I can't believe we only saw you guys in that split second running through the starcade! Next year we will hunt you down for a photo op!

• I Heart DL!

Start of the Race

During Dusty’s rules speech, he stated that we just had to enter the park as a team so that meant we could split up as the books were distributed. Our original plan was to ride the Monorail into Disneyland if there was a question for it in the rally, so I waited by the Monorail station while Chrissy collected the game book. This was much better than last year as we lost each other in the big crowd flooding out of ESPN Zone.
    We got right in in line for the Monorail after quickly glancing at the packet and seeing it was indeed a question. However, after a few minutes of waiting, we decided to actually READ the question and realized we would have to make a roundtrip in order to get the points. UH-OH! At that point we made the split second decision to ditch the Monorail and rushed to the front entrance. By this time, we had fallen behind most of the other teams but we weren’t giving up! As we passed through the entrance, we noticed the huge crowd going under the right bridge into Main Street and then once on Main Street we continued to see the mass crowds traveling toward Tomorrowland. In that instant, we ditched all of our initial plans and went LEFT!
    Strategies

If you have read Polycosm’s report, she mentions teams having DIFFERENT strategies; we were one of those teams! This change seemed to work out really well.
    What we found to be our biggest blunder last year was that we didn’t realize how many points each land was worth- we felt like we had completed a lot of each land but toward the end of the day, we started adding up points possible and realized just how many points we left on the table in each area. This year, we made sure to tally up points as soon as we could. Obviously, these pictures of the booklet were taken MUCH later (by evidence of our crazy scribbles) but you can see what we did with the points. Sorry they aren’t better pictures!
Views: 688
Size:  107.3 KB Name:  image.jpg
Views: 695
Size:  113.1 KB Name:  image.jpg
Views: 689
Size:  101.0 KB Name:  image.jpg
Views: 692
Size:  108.3 KB Name:  image.jpg
Views: 686
Size:  106.6 KB Name:  image.jpg
Views: 687
Size:  109.2 KB

This strategy really seemed to pay off because we knew how many more points we could get if we revisited a particular land.

Back to the Race!
    Since we committed to the West side of the park first, we knew we needed to get Splash Mountain out of the way before it got too hot. On the way, we grabbed fast passes for Big Thunder and knocked out the Haunted Mansion since it was a walk on. We also pretty much walked on Splash Mountain through Single Rider and ended up riding together because they needed a party of two. What was even better was that we shared our log with fellow rally team “Toot Whistle Plunk and Boom!” This made for a very FUN trip through the mountain. I really wish we would have got that ride photo!
    After Splash we hopped on Pooh and then made our way back to Frontierland. What’s tricky is that a lot of the attractions in Frontierland don’t open until 10 or 11. Our fast passes were good at 11 so we ran over to Adventureland to knock out Jungle Cruise and Tarzan’s Treehouse. We had a great time in line for the Jungle Cruise because we met Rally Spirit Award winners “Tweedle He and Tweedle Mum”. They were so much fun! We discussed a variety of things ranging from the crazy hype of “Frozen” to “Useless Husbands”, probably the best line wait of the day! We seriously love you guys!

Well, since the giant group in front us wants to takes pictures of EVERYTHING in Tarzan’s treehouse, might as well enjoy the view!
Views: 688
Size:  144.1 KB
Views: 685
Size:  159.2 KB
    By the time we were finished with Adventureland (we had just missed the Tiki Room showing se we would revisit), our fast passes were almost ready so we hopped on the Mark Twain.

We ran into a bit of a hiccup on the Twain because a rogue canoe paddle was in the middle of the river. We had to wait for what seemed like forever until another canoe came and picked us up. WE ARE IN A RACE PEOPLE!
Views: 691
Size:  129.1 KB
    We got back to Big Thunder just in time to use our fast passes but OH NO! It was closed! We would have to return later in the day.
    The rafts had finally started out to Tom Sawyer Island so we made it out there pretty quickly- this was another setback since it is not something we usually do and we skipped it last year. We found three of the answers quickly but we had no idea where the Blacksmith shop was! After wandering around the island in circles for a while we finally figured it out (its right by the rafts! UGH!) and got off that darn island! We quickly completed the little things in Frontierland and headed to Tomorrowland before the big Noon Meet!

Next Up: DRAMA in Tomorrowland!
    Last edited by kandirae; 05-16-2014 at 08:27 PM.

• I Heart DL!

On to Tomorrowland!

By this time we had completed everything on the West side of the park except for Big Thunder (but we held those fast passes for anytime since it was down during our return time) and the Tiki Room. Not too shabby!

We rushed over to Space Mountain to get fast passes but oh no! It was down! Second ride of the day and it's not even noon! We quickly grabbed fast passes for Star Tours and planned to get space passes as soon as we could after Star Tours. We were running out of time before noon but figured we could quickly get the Starcade point. As we raced through the shop, we FINALLY spotted another fav time from last year "Dead Men Blow No Bubbles". We were so excited to see them and they snapped a quick pic of us.

We then moved on to play Fix it Felix which proved a little stressful. How many people are saying "fix it Felix"?! Is it the thought bubbles. Or all the people? We must have played it five times before giving up and making notes!
    Curse you Fix it Felix!

Next we stopped by Astro Orbitor to pick up what should have been a quick point, but Two of our ball point pens weren't working and the third was lost somewhere in my bag and I really started to stress out. At that moment I realized I hadn't had my daily coffee and it was time. We soon found the pen, wrote down the answers and made it to the castle right on time!

Thankfully, I got to enjoy my Starbucks double shot I had stashed in my bag and we had some time to chat with other teams. We really loved this part of the day
    Up next: it all blurs together!
    Attached Images Attached Images      

• Selfie Expert

You live close-ish to me! I just moved out to Gilbert.

Love your TR!!! Looking forward to more.

Thank you to Poisonedapples for my awesome signature!
    KellyMcG86's Disneyland To Do List

• I Heart DL!

After the noon meet at the Castle, the rest of the day starts to become a blur...it went by so fast!

We went back to Tomorrowland and rode Autopia and the Matterhorn while waiting for our Star Tours Fast pass to be valid. As soon as it was time, we managed to get Space Mountain passes and boy were we lucky! Return time was 5:30-6:30- we were taking a BIG gamble because it could go down again. We got on Star Tours (One of my favorites) right away and apparently snapped a quick pic with C3PO.

Over the next few hours, we managed to ride the train, several attractions in Fantasyland AND get the MOST AMAZING CHURRO WE'VE EVER EATEN! This Churro gave us the inspiration for next year's team name- you'll just have to wait
    Right before the parade, we headed to Toontown to get the quick points and then found a place to watch the parade right next to the entrance for Storybook Canal- evidently a lot of other teams had the same idea and this ended up being the one of the highlights of the day. We had a chance to wind down for a while and watch the parade with at least five other teams! Then after the parade we all rushed to the opening of the Canal boats and THE ENTIRE Queue was full of ralliers! As we weaved through the switchbacks, we high fived each other and cheered. It was so amazing to be a part of this camaraderie!
    Up next: race to the finish line!

• I Heart DL!

The Last portion of the rally went by really fast!
    We really pushed it with our fast pass return time for Space Mountain and the line was LONG due to it being down so many times. It was a bit stressful but we made it out on time and had fun with another rally team “Waste of Water” and our spotter friend from dinner, Stephanie. This was another ride photo I wish we would have gone back to get!

By the time we got off Space Mountain, the 6:30 parade had begun and we knew we had to make some MAJOR maneuvers to overcome the crowd. As we approached Main Street we spotted our friend Heather with her team “Small World Big Park”. Chrissy linked arms with her and shouted “We can do this!” And all five of us took off through the crowd (I won’t say we “ran”, more of a “Brisk Walk”) At some point, we caught up with a team we had the pleasure of meeting during the parade and Storybookland, “The Grump Kims”- They win my award for most adorable team! J They were forced to move at our pace and we all made it down Main Street in probably record time.

Once we hit the finish line, we were so happy and exhausted and a combination of many other emotions but all smiles! After retrieving our phones from our locker, we sent out a snap chat to our friends.
Views: 604
Size:  91.1 KB
    Coming soon: The awards!

• I Heart DL!

Quote Originally Posted by KellyMcG86 View Post
    You live close-ish to me! I just moved out to Gilbert.

Love your TR!!! Looking forward to more.
    That's awesome! I work at San Tan Village and live in Queen Creek!
    And thanks

• I Heart DL!

Overall, we completed all but Six attractions listed on the rally receiving 87 points. Those we missed were Peter Pan, Mr. Toad, Lincoln, Roger Rabbit and the monorail. We were pretty excited to accomplish that much in 10 short hours.

Upon completing the day, we got a quick bite to eat at Pizza Press and discussed the day with some other teams. We were not expecting at all the place, but we were so happy we had met so many great people. Last year we placed 34th but only met a handful of people. This year, we thought it would be nice to move up in the ranking (Maybe top 20?) but our MAIN goal was to talk to as many teams as we could. We felt we did a pretty good job with that so we were satisfied.

That night we attended the award ceremony at the HOJO and it was a blast! The preshow by Monorail Man was so much fun! We couldn’t believe how good we were at a lot of those old game shows! We even figured out the license plate questions that had most of the audience stumped!

Then it came time to hand out awards. We were super excited to hear “Tweedle He and Tweedle Mum” won the Team Spirit award and “Dead Men Blow No Bubbles” the Traditions award. I’m sure they heard us screaming from the crowd.

When it was time to call the top ten, we did not AT ALL expect to hear our team but I’ll never forget the way Dusty said “OMG It’s our Princesses!” His inflection was spot on! We were SO excited, I’m pretty sure we were jumping up and down the whole time we were on that stage! We came in 9th place overall and we were shocked!

The next day, we met with fellow micechatters at the Hub and took some fun pics. We then moved to Hungry Bear and discussed the day. I loved that all the teams who placed wore their medals! We also continued our Disneybounding for “May the 4th” by dressing as Han Solo and Luke Skywalker. We were excited to see several other teams dressed up or at least wearing Star Wars attire.

• I Heart DL!

We had three more days in Disneyland with my family and we chose to proudly wear our medals the entire time AND show them off in every picture. We are pretty sure this will NEVER happen again so we might as well relish in the moment, right?This year’s rally was an absolutely AMAZING experience. To anyone who hasn’t competed, I HIGHLY recommend it!

• D'land Visitor since '57

Great trip report! So glad that you two medal'd ... you were an awesome team! Look forward to seeing you again NEXT year!

Quote Originally Posted by kandirae View Post
Views: 691
Size:  129.1 KB
    P.S. Nice beads, by the way
    Proud member of Team It Doesn't Matterhorn, winners of the 2012 Gumball Rally Team Spirit Award.

• Disney Obsessed

Quote Originally Posted by lctom1 View Post
    Great trip report! So glad that you two medal'd ... you were an awesome team! Look forward to seeing you again NEXT year!

P.S. Nice beads, by the way
    Thanks! We will be back for sure! We are stating our saving for the next trip now
    I seriously think those beads brought us good luck They went perfectly with our outfits

And thanks bestie! I know how hard this was to get done on your computer with a 2 year old! Hahaha... She's the one who's good at this stuff, I am not patient enough to write these!

Next year dead men blow no bubbles will be our FIRST photo op of the day!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast