Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Increase the lifespan of Bugs Land temporarily

So I saw a thread the other day commenting on re-doing Bugs Land and several people said they'd rip out the ladybugs and the bumper cars since they're redundant due to Maters and Luigi's Flying tires. While the bumper cars are easier to steer than the flying tires, Luigi's does have better theming, higher speeds, higher capacity, and a shorter height requirement.

My replacement for the bumper cars would be a frog-hopper type attraction similar to Woodstock's Air Mail at Knott's Berry Farm. Gypsy the butterfly and her sisters would fly you high up under the big top once Manny the praying mantis starts the cycle with his line,"Transformation, transformation, transformation!" (To help with this recreation the base of the ride could be a Chinese take-out box.) To alleviate capacity concerns, the ride tower would be 6-8 butterfly themed rows arranged in a hexagon/octagon. I just watched a video of Woodstock's Air Mail and thing I like is the fact that there's only one lap bar restraint for a row of 6-7 guests. The other thing I looked up is frog-hopper type attractions can have a height requirement as low as 36", which is the same as the bumper cars right now and 4" shorter than Jumpin' Jellyfish's/Tower of Terror/Radiator Springs Racers /Soarin' Over California 40" height requirement. The butterfly theming would also help with DCA's lack of "girl rides".

The ladybugs should stay but I'd make them a clone of the Teacups that you can spin and add more ladybugs to increase capacity. If they really wanted to splurge I'd extend the ride floor out to the replace the hose water spigot and make a themed bridge that passes directly over the ladybugs ride floor to connect Hollywood Land and Cars Land.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Re: Increase the lifespan of Bugs Land temporarily

I think the entire land, aside from Flik's Flyers needs to be redone. Flik's Flyers is the ONLY thing in the theme of "Flik's Fun Fair", as in… he's an inventor and he built that ride. Everything else uses his friends and you ride in them…. and in the case of Lady Bug Boogie… you're riding in enlarged versions of Francis' head! It's so weird.

They can keep many of these rides if they just redesign the vehicles… but in the case of Heimlich, I think they should expand that into a ride as long as Casey Jr. at the very least.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• Buena Vista St. & Red Car

Great ideas! Really love the butterfly ride idea!

Like I posted in the other thread, I love the concept behind having a land themed to being in a bugs world. It's an especially attractive theme for kids and kids at heart (I do think part of my love for the theming in a bug's land comes from me being a teacher).

Another option to extend life would be to take out the bumper cars and lady bug boogie (both rides are redundant with better themed versions in Cars Land) and extend Hemlich's. I imagine it having rethemed train cars that look like trains built by bugs and be more of a scenic ride through the bugs world, including an indoor, dark ride portion where the bumper cars used to be that explores the ants tunnels. Maybe also a trip through a beehive. Lots of cool and fun ideas. The path to Cars Land from HL can then be themed partially as an ant tunnel and you exit out of it in the desert environment of Cars Land.

I would completely replace a bugs land with either an extension of Hollywood land, or create a expanded San Francisco type area. I feel like DCA is overdone with Pixar so it wouldn't be too much of controversial change. In Hollywood terms I'd add a full "toon town" type area, however, paying homage to the old black and white cartoons. I'd add stuff like a steamboat willie dark boat ride, such as pirates or iasw. Or a skeleton dance dark ride, a mickey vs. Pete roller coaster or something along those lines. In a San Francisco area, I'd put a trolley type of roller coaster/dark ride as intended in the original plans. The pacific wharf facades would continue throughout the area.

If they do a do-over of A Bug's Land, they should at least keep Heimlich's Chew Chew Train. My mom loves that ride.

A good freshening up would help. Bug's Land is basically DCA's version of Fantasyland where all the little kids can go and even ride the rides without mom and dad in some cases. Most of the other rides in the park you have to be 40" tall to ride at all much less with an adult. Personally I wasn't a huge fan of the movie but I think it's a cute idea for little kids. But yes the lady big ride freaked me out. Maybe they should be little cups made of leaves, tulips or cup cake wrappers or something.

• Senior Minion

I like your ideas, the ride actually sounds very cute, but I'm not sure it's needed. I just don't see any payoff to spending more money on this land. They need to focus on Hollywood Land, Paradise Pier and Condor Flats and by the time they've all that they'll be ready for BL to go completely.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalFan View Post
    Great ideas! Really love the butterfly ride idea!

Like I posted in the other thread, I love the concept behind having a land themed to being in a bugs world. It's an especially attractive theme for kids and kids at heart (I do think part of my love for the theming in a bug's land comes from me being a teacher).

Another option to extend life would be to take out the bumper cars and lady bug boogie (both rides are redundant with better themed versions in Cars Land) and extend Hemlich's. I imagine it having rethemed train cars that look like trains built by bugs and be more of a scenic ride through the bugs world, including an indoor, dark ride portion where the bumper cars used to be that explores the ants tunnels. Maybe also a trip through a beehive. Lots of cool and fun ideas. The path to Cars Land from HL can then be themed partially as an ant tunnel and you exit out of it in the desert environment of Cars Land.
    Heimlich could easily be made into DCA version's of Alice in Wonderland. Have the dark ride portion take place in an expanded It's Tough to Be a Bug show building and connect it to the current Heimlich track for the outdoor portion. Re-use the animatronics from It's Tough to Be a Bug for the dark ride portion. The tricky part would be connecting the two while dodging important backstage functions and the current restroom.

I'd love an ant tunnel to connect Cars Land to Bugs Land. A while back I had an idea that the tunnel could allow the flying tires floor to be expanded if they ever moved Autopia to Cars Land or put Google self-driving cars in place of the flying tires. Unfortunately, they threw way too much money at Luigi's in terms of the air hockey table infrastructure and theming so it's not going anywhere for a long time unless it drops to Muppets-level hourly counts.

• Not the Hawkguy

Quote Originally Posted by nerdycm View Post
    Heimlich could easily be made into DCA version's of Alice in Wonderland. Have the dark ride portion take place in an expanded It's Tough to Be a Bug show building and connect it to the current Heimlich track for the outdoor portion. Re-use the animatronics from It's Tough to Be a Bug for the dark ride portion. The tricky part would be connecting the two while dodging important backstage functions and the current restroom.

I'd love an ant tunnel to connect Cars Land to Bugs Land. A while back I had an idea that the tunnel could allow the flying tires floor to be expanded if they ever moved Autopia to Cars Land or put Google self-driving cars in place of the flying tires. Unfortunately, they threw way too much money at Luigi's in terms of the air hockey table infrastructure and theming so it's not going anywhere for a long time unless it drops to Muppets-level hourly counts.
    Wow, that would be a long path track just to get to and from the ITTBAB building. You might as well take out the bumper cars for a show building, and do one raised track above and a buried track below. Theme the dark ride as the outside of an ant hill with the path over disguised as a branch, and you'd have a pretty solid expansion/plussing of a ride.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    I think the entire land, aside from Flik's Flyers needs to be redone. Flik's Flyers is the ONLY thing in the theme of "Flik's Fun Fair", as in… he's an inventor and he built that ride. Everything else uses his friends and you ride in them…. and in the case of Lady Bug Boogie… you're riding in enlarged versions of Francis' head! It's so weird.

They can keep many of these rides if they just redesign the vehicles… but in the case of Heimlich, I think they should expand that into a ride as long as Casey Jr. at the very least.

LOL, yeah, a ride platform filled with clones of a particular movie character makes no sense if it's supposed to be an amusement fair for bugs that Flik built...especially riding in giant Francis heads!

The overall concept of the land is fine, I think it's neat to pretend to be bug-sized with giant clovers and popsicle stick benches and tissue box restrooms and stuff, but I think they should have focused more on making a land "inspired by" A Bug's Life by, as has been said, making the rides more like they were built by bugs, for bugs.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Someone mention that it was DCA's Fantasyland. IF ONLY! Fantasyland is more than just Mad Tea Cups and Dumbos. It's got dark rides, roller coasters, boat rides, trains! If only A Bug's Land treated guests with that much respect, I would love the land all the more.

It's a great concept but execution of the content is a 1 out of 10. (excluding It's Tough To be a Bug, which is fantastic)

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

Little kids love the rides in bugs land.
    Also the water play areas are a big hit with little kids.

If you don't have little kids, then this is not the land for you. Your kids may have outgrown these rides, but lots of younger kids still love them.

-Mike

• Nutty about Disney parks

I never liked that ITTBAB was in DCA. It should've stayed exclusive to DAK seeing that it's the attraction located inside of the park's icon. But that is just me.

I do like nerdy's idea of ABL dark ride.
    Toonaspie: I have Asperger's. I like cartoons. Toonaspie!

Speaking of ITTBAB, when does it come back? Maleficent opens on May 30th, so I assume then, but I hadn't heard anything official.
    "I know this is probably your first flight, and it's...mine too!"

Quote Originally Posted by joshteevee View Post
    Speaking of ITTBAB, when does it come back? Maleficent opens on May 30th, so I assume then, but I hadn't heard anything official.
    It's supposed to return June 20th or some date near there keeping the new Digital 3D. Like others have already mentioned, I'm not a big fan of a Bugs Land, but I really think that Heimlich's Chew Chew Train is a bit underrated and it definitely has a lot of potential, definitely a "Casey Jr." style reimagining would look great on it. As for the other flat rides, I'm not so sure that they're really "permanent fixtures" in a sense. a Bugs Land is definitely intended for younger guests who might not find a nice attraction in a "high energy" park like DCA but then again, it feels like a Bugs Land was rushed after they figured out that the park was failing in 01.
    "Hello folks, welcome aboard the Disneyland Railroad..."
    "The Gods have been angered by all the celebratin'..."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast