Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 891011121314 ... LastLast

• Special Agent

Re: Disneyland Ticket Prices To Increase SUNDAY NIGHT at Midnight

Quote Originally Posted by sediment View Post
    Kudo's to executives who found their guts.
    I doubt it is a matter of them just realizing there is a problem or finding the courage to do something about it. Most likely a change in the wind. Something is coming soon that required this. Perhaps prep for MyMagic and FastPass+, or something involving the 60th that has them concerned about crowding next year.

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by VintageGuy34 View Post
    relax everyone....$519 for Deluxe pass = $1.42/ day! That's cheap!
    Well, it's only good for 315 days out of the year, so $1.65 per day.
    Not that this affects your argument, though.

But this brings up the question: is there something that you are paying an average $1.65 per day for that you could do without? Cut back on food a bit, maybe, carpool to work. See if you can refinance your mortgage at a lower rate.
    but that's something everyone has to figure out for themselves.

For me, this pricing scheme means I don't go, ever again. You see, I only need to go to Disneyland for one day every two years or so. It is certainly not worth $150 for one day's experience. (No, one day of skiiing is also not worth it, neither. Theater tickets neither. Springsteen? Hmm, ok, that's my only entertainment vice.)
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by sediment View Post
    For me, this pricing scheme means I don't go, ever again. You see, I only need to go to Disneyland for one day every two years or so. It is certainly not worth $150 for one day's experience. (No, one day of skiiing is also not worth it, neither. Theater tickets neither. Springsteen? Hmm, ok, that's my only entertainment vice.)
    And I can understand this. It would be stupid for my s-dad to get a pass. He has gone 1 day in the last 5 years. He is perfectly happy to stay in the hotel room, read a book, watch TV, go out with us to dinner. He travels to do military adn car shows. Spends big bucks on this. I hate those shows. My BIL hates DL also. He LOVES his baseball, and spends big money on season tickets (I mean BIG.) I prefer Disneyland. He has his vice, I have mine.
    If you see a cute yellow lab puppy with a yellow cape, WAVE! It might be us! (Or it may be someone else that lurks here!) Thank you for asking before you pet! Next trip, Dec 22-Jan 3rd.

• Rock Star Minion

True. I just think there are a few million people like me in the So Cal area who don't have to go once a month.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Master of Disaster

Related note. The California minimum wage increases to $9 an hour on July 1st. That's a 12% increase. Add in the new more expensive requirements in the ADA that could also hit a company at any point this year (when the current benefits deals expire and need renewed) and the cost of running the business has increased this year. Just some more information to ponder when these increases hit.

• Sorcerer Supreme Bean

Hopefully this will alleviate a bit of crowding
    There is no right or wrong in this debate. It is simply a matter of perspective.
    -Dr. Strange

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Wren View Post
    Hopefully this will alleviate a bit of crowding
    I doubt it.
    If you see a cute yellow lab puppy with a yellow cape, WAVE! It might be us! (Or it may be someone else that lurks here!) Thank you for asking before you pet! Next trip, Dec 22-Jan 3rd.

• "I Break Things"

Hadn't been on in a while and wanted to "pop in" to see what the chat was on the price increases. I know a LOT of people were shocked that there wasn't advance notice. I also know quite a few who either won't renew or are renewing early because of it. Tinkmomma and I took a break from DL a long time ago and never looked back. Every year we'd visit once, this year we didn't even do that. In our case the economics are different, we have 5 kids. The money we "save" by not going has funded vacations, road trips, amazing memories of ACTUAL places not the fake representations of them. Last year we took 2 weeks off and drove from CA to OH. We saw everything from Rushmore to Route 66.

All of that said I find it hysterical that people complain, then purchase. If they plan to purchase why complain? If they plan on complaining why invalidate the complaint by purchasing? Vote with your wallet... we did.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

Everyone here is discussing the price increases and changes in AP offerings but it would serve well to mention that visiting the park today, and the immediate future, is not as good as it used to be due to the frequent outages of attractions and frequently refurbished attractions.

In my mind, the prices posted on the ticket windows is for a fully available themepark. Not a themepark with 1 or 2 mountains unavailable and construction walls often visible.

• Parking Lot > DCA

I am for this increase, and the removal of lower AP tiers. Thin the herd!!

I think they want to stabilize the crowds by suspending pass sales, rather than decrease.

The Disneyland Resort is in a finite space and that space is, at times, ridiculously impacted and I can't believe that fire, police and/or other services are simply looking the other way. The exit from M&F to Ball seems to be an issue with the City, for example.

Though any business would love to take any and all money flung at them, to continue to let crowds swell might simply be considered negligence on Disney Corp's part so they're taking steps to stabilize the throngs which we know, though often uncomfortable, are still navigable with the crowd control CMs out in force.

• Minion

If they are going to charge a premium price (and they always have), they had better provide a premium experience (which they did a long time ago, and they are still cashing in on that previous reputation).

There has to be a point of diminishing returns when it comes to AP's. Obviously with an AP, if you go enough times, you're going for free (in relation to if AP's didn't exist). And people that go to Disneyland dozens of times a year are LESS likely to purchase merchandise than vacationers (food, yes, souvenirs, no). If the park is 75% full of AP'ers (probably an exaggeration) that are essentially there for free, I don't care how much food they eat, the park isn't making as much money as if those people paid $61-96 dollars to get in. AP'ers can go offsite to eat and don't care, because they go all the time and aren't trying to maximize their time inside the park.

At the end of the day, Disney has top notch financial and marketing people on their payroll, and they do their market research, track all entries to the park and what kind pass it was, merchandise and food sales, how many people are in the park a day, cost of maintenance, insurance, wages and benefits, business costs, electricity, EVERYTHING. They have it down to a science how much to charge and how to control how many AP'ers are in there to maximize profit. The removal of So. Cal AP's shows that they know this. Do I think all AP's should go? I don't know, but I think payment plans should definitely go. There's a lot of people that want to vacation at the resort and they are being choked by those who have the LUXURY of living in So. Cal and going ALL the time.

Or maybe I'm just jealous that i can't.

• The doctor is in

Quote Originally Posted by zugzug15 View Post
    Related note. The California minimum wage increases to $9 an hour on July 1st. That's a 12% increase. Add in the new more expensive requirements in the ADA that could also hit a company at any point this year (when the current benefits deals expire and need renewed) and the cost of running the business has increased this year. Just some more information to ponder when these increases hit.
    This is very true. Add in the Obamacare mandate and I think we will continue to see prices going up.
    Please... put Guardians of the Galaxy in Tomorrowland.

• Parking Lot > DCA

Quote Originally Posted by doppio View Post
    Get rid of all annual passes. Problem solved.
    Incorrect.

Disneyland needs AP's, just not 4 different tiers of them. They can't survive off of day tickets alone. Eliminating the Southern California pass was a good move. Next, they need to can the monthly payments. You can have three AP options, but you'll need to pay for them upfront. Just like a you would with a ticket.

Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 891011121314 ... LastLast