• Minion

Railroad type transportation in DCA?

Disneyland has the DLRR to transport guests all around different parts of the park. It carries a lot of people continually, not only freeing up walkways, but providing a usually easy on and off attraction for guests. If you want to get from one part of the park to the other but don't always want to walk back and forth you can ride the train while getting a good overview of the different lands (not to mention dinosaurs and dioramas).
    There are also all sorts of Main Street vehicles taking guests back and forth from the front of the park to the castle.
    The Monorail transports guests back and forth from Downtown Disney to Tommorrowland.

DCA has the Red Car Trolley (which often is tied up with the Newsies) to take you from the front up as far as Tower of Terror. Besides that, you can trek back and forth all over the park (which as some have previously pointed out is not necessarily very logically laid out).
    There's a lot of dead space before you can get to the end of the park to the side of PP where California Screamin', Midway Mania and the Fun Wheel are, and personally I don't find the body of water used for World of Color at all attractive when the show isn't going on. It's more like an obstacle to get around, and can be particularly ugly when all the hardware from WOC is above water.
    How could this space be better used?
    Can you think of some kind of inside DCA park transportation that could serve similar purposes to DLRR?
    Do you think it would be an improvement to the park?

• U. B. Bold

Re: Railroad type transportation in DCA?

Though not an actual transportation system like you propose, a Nature's Wonderland-like train attraction around Grizzly Peak was planned as part of DCA 2.0 but was eventually cut. My sources can neither confirm or deny whether the idea will be resurrected in the future. I hope so.
    Please visit my Big Thunder/Disney Inspired Model Railroad

Dream big. Do what you love.

• Buena Vista St. & Red Car

^this! There is actually concept art floating around for this once proposed attraction. Also featured in the concept art was a pan for gold type attraction along that back path in Grizzly Peak. I hope this comes to fruition one day. It's the only type of train thing we will probably ever see at DCA.

As far as in-park transportation, the park really isn't that big where it really needs it. That, and the layout isn't conducive for this type of attraction. The only way I think we will ever see more in-park transportation in DCA is a Red Car extension to Paradise Pier. Add another trolley or two to the line that spur off from Carthay Circle to Paradise Pier. Other than that, maybe some vintage touring cars, like the ones seen in early DCA redo art, that could take guest back to Paradise Pier.

Something that I'd ideally want is a train ride that is based off the 1923 Santa Fe Railroad California Limited, the train that Walt took to California and Hollywood. In my mind it makes perfect sense, blending in with the 20's theme of Buena Vista Street (there's already a billboard for said train on BVS) and it could take guests around the perimeter in the same way that the Disneyland Railroad does.
    "Hello folks, welcome aboard the Disneyland Railroad..."
    "The Gods have been angered by all the celebratin'..."

I don't see this happening, but some sort of gold rush theme around grizzly peak would be great.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by TFN5459 View Post
    Something that I'd ideally want is a train ride that is based off the 1923 Santa Fe Railroad California Limited, the train that Walt took to California and Hollywood. In my mind it makes perfect sense, blending in with the 20's theme of Buena Vista Street (there's already a billboard for said train on BVS) and it could take guests around the perimeter in the same way that the Disneyland Railroad does.

• formerly very helpful

Quote Originally Posted by BigThunder View Post
    Though not an actual transportation system like you propose, a Nature's Wonderland-like train attraction around Grizzly Peak was planned as part of DCA 2.0 but was eventually cut. My sources can neither confirm or deny whether the idea will be resurrected in the future. I hope so.
    This would have been awesome, if done right. It's exactly what I've wanted to see in DCA since day one.

• Your cadaverous pallor

remeber the train in the front of the park where starbucks is now I thought it would be cool to have smaller version of that ( California zephyr) train going around the park have stops at BVS , paradise pier, cars land &, Hollywood behind tower of terror near the red car station
    I Fresh baked!

I think one good idea that they could potentially do would be to expand the Red Car Trolley so that it goes around the entire park. But instead of going around the perimeter of the park like the DLRR does, it would go through each land like it does now with Buena Vista Street and Hollywoodland. It could just continue on through Cars Land, maybe travel under the CA Screamin' tracks and stop by the gardens eating area in Paradise Pier, and then continue on and stop maybe go through the hotel outdoor area so it's not taking up space on the only walkway around GRR and have it stop right in that area that used to serve as the temporary entrance next to Soarin', near where that popcorn stand and Billboard are. Then continue back to Buena Vista Street to close the loop. Probably would have to add at least 4 other trolleys, since they each hold so few people, you'd need several almost in constant motion in order to efficiently move people around the park.
    Words any Disney fan and especially Disney employee should live by:

"Disneyland is a work of love. We didn't go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money."
    -Walt Disney

"Disneyland will never be completed. It will continue to grow as long as there is imagination left in the world."
    -Walt Disney

"I do not like to repeat successes, I like to go on to other things."
    -Walt Disney

"We did it, Disneyland, in the knowledge that most of the people I talked to thought it would be a financial disaster - closed and forgotten within the first year."
    -Walt Disney

"It's kind of fun to do the impossible."
    -Walt Disney

"I only hope that we don't lose sight of one thing - that it was all started by a mouse."
    -Walt Disney

Why not add a peoplemover type ride?

Quote Originally Posted by sean317 View Post
    Yay a peoplemover would get my vote, maybe tie it into a Silicon Valley theme as the California transportation of the future and have it circle the park

Quote Originally Posted by sean317 View Post
    While it would be nice, I would be worried that it would look jarring against the 1920's of Buena Vista Street, Hollywoodland, Golden State, and Paradise Pier and even for the 50's of Condor Flats and Carsland. If they could thematically blend it in, I would love to have the Peoplemover in DCA.
    "Hello folks, welcome aboard the Disneyland Railroad..."
    "The Gods have been angered by all the celebratin'..."

• Nutty about Disney parks

I sadly don't see a feasible solution to this. The layout of the park and where the lands are really work against it. I think DCA should just be lucky it even got the Red Car Trolley even if it only takes you to one part of the park.

Quote Originally Posted by BigThunder View Post
    I think Grizzly Peak would be a nice place to have a DLR version of the Seven Dwarfs Mine Coaster. Of course the theme would have to be changed to an original concept. Maybe a SDMT with Grizzly Gulch theming?