Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Small Projects Team

Can someone explain this effect

<CONTAINS SPOILERS>

In the animation building in DCA, in the Sorcerer's Workshop I saw the fireplace in the library and couldn't quite figure out how it worked. Does anyone know how they made this effect?

Last edited by mattjbhs; 02-06-2006 at 03:59 PM.

• Adventurer

Re: Can someone explain this effect

Magic!
    The One, the Only, the Original:
    Dr. Indiana Jones

• Small Projects Team

But it's in DCA, not Disneyland

• Padawan

L.A.-- But I'd rather be on Brokeback Mountain

Look at the back left corner of the "fireplace" in your photograph. Do you see the line sort of coming up and to the left from the corner, making the "left wall" of the fireplace sort of change shades? That is a mirror placed at a 45' angle from the back bottom of the fireplace towards the top front. The "fire" is projected onto the mirror at a 45' angle, making the flames appear "upright". I know it's hard to explain. but if you just think about the placement of the mirror it kinda makes sense. And it's not a "solid" opaque mirror... it is transparent a bit.

Sorry if I spoiled the magic.
    --Jonathan

• Small Projects Team

Quote Originally Posted by DOOM BGI
    Look at the back left corner of the "fireplace" in your photograph. Do you see the line sort of coming up and to the left from the corner, making the "left wall" of the fireplace sort of change shades? That is a mirror placed at a 45' angle from the back bottom of the fireplace towards the top front. The "fire" is projected onto the mirror at a 45' angle, making the flames appear "upright". I know it's hard to explain. but if you just think about the placement of the mirror it kinda makes sense.

Sorry if I spoiled the magic.
    well it can't be that because the fire is positioned in 3 dimensions even though it is two dimensional (like pepper's ghost effect). But I know it can't be pepper's ghost because the glass is slanted the wrong way...

It looks like it is projected on the glass from behind/above somehow. It looks dimensional because the glass is bisecting the "logs". Or maybe the glass is some kind of LED screen. Althought that would not explain why the glass is beveled at the 45 degree angle.

• Down Pluto!

It still looks like a variation of Pepper's Ghost to me...

• Small Projects Team

Quote Originally Posted by 9oldmen
    It looks like it is projected on the glass from behind/above somehow. It looks dimensional because the glass is bisecting the "logs". Or maybe the glass is some kind of LED screen. Althought that would not explain why the glass is beveled at the 45 degree angle.
    By "positioned 3 Dimensionally" I mean that the fire is/appears to be independent of the glass, which means that the fire is either a reflection on the glass or is actually independent of the glass.

Quote Originally Posted by Sambo
    It still looks like a variation of Pepper's Ghost to me...
    It is possible that the screen being reflected is on the floor. My dad says that it is possible to disgiuse a monitor to look like something else at certain angles(the floor). However, if you drew a ray diagram, the base of the screen would have to be 5 inches off the ground and back up against the bottom log, and I could clearly see that nothing was there.
    Last edited by mattjbhs; 02-05-2006 at 10:27 PM.

• Small Projects Team

Okay, my best guess would be that there's a screen, with the fire animation on it, behind the glass and the glass is reflecting the ground to make it look like the back of the fireplace and its reflecting the half logs to make them look like full logs. So it's like the hitchhiking ghost effect. However, I may be wrong because the center of the middle log doesn't look quite symetrical (it's hard to tell with this pic). Can anyone confirm this, or am I missing something?

• Incognito

Blog Entries

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAA! You're ruining the magic!!!

• Small Projects Team

Quote Originally Posted by Olympicnut
    AAAAAAAAAAAAAAA! You're ruining the magic!!!
    AHHH, I'm sorry, I added a spoiler notice in my first post

Quote Originally Posted by mattjbhs
    But it's in DCA, not Disneyland
    And? What does that have to do with anything?

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by mattjbhs
    well it can't be that because the fire is positioned in 3 dimensions even though it is two dimensional (like pepper's ghost effect). But I know it can't be pepper's ghost because the glass is slanted the wrong way...
    Peppers ghost does not have to be used in a upright position. Actually most of the time the glass is slanted at 45 degrees due to no one having a piece of glass as large as the haunted mansion. Here is my madame leota effect and that is done with a 45 degree piece of glass slanted downward just like in that picture above: http://superiorpcs.smugmug.com/galle...758/1/10156198

It's definitly a mirror. Look closely at the top left (the viewer's left) log, the one on the edge of the mirror. Look closely at the mirror line. The "wood" pattern is repeated in mirror image. It's a two way mirror, like the ones used for the "hitchiking ghosts". If you were to bring up some light behind the mirror (besides the light from the projection), then you'd be able to see through the mirror from the onstage side. Maybe the mirror has some type of "scrim" material on the other side which serves as a screen for the projection. Either way, a great effect.

This (the Sorceror's Workshop interactive area) is one part of DCA that has not been changed one bit since day one. It's infused with "Disney Magic" which is just now becoming more prevalent in the rest of the park. Even the harshest critics have had little to slam about it. Hopefully, soon the rest of the park will be filled with more effects like this, which will leave us wondering how they were done.

Isn't this along the lines of the car displays you see in the queue for Autopia?
    Always remember the Disney Magic!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast