Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• SORCERER

Exclamation Disneyland Suspends Sales of New SoCal Passes

Today Disney suspended the sale of new SoCal annual passes. Current SoCal passes holder can still renew.

Disney suspended new sales of its popular Southern California annual passport because of the crowds. Those who already have them can renew them. And those who let Southern California passes expire in the last 90 days can renew them as well.The parks have been particularly crowded on Sundays – the only weekend day usually available for those with the Southern California passes, which now cost $379 on renewal. A cheaper pass – the Southern California Select at $289 – is blocked out on weekends and is available for new purchases.

Other annual passes – the Deluxe, with some Saturday and peak-holiday-period blackouts, selling for $519, and the no-blackout Premium, selling for $699 – may be suspended in the future.

“Due to the popularity of our annual pass program – and to preserve the guest experience for our annual passholders and all guests – future sales of all annual passes will be subject to availability,” Brown said in the statement. “We continue to offer a variety of other annual passes so that our guests can choose a pass that’s right for them.”
    The Southern California passes could be sold again when “renewal rates return to an appropriate level that preserves the guest experience,” Brown said.

Disney rarely suspends annual pass sales, last doing so temporarily in 2001 when Disney California Adventure opened.
    In 2012, Disney attempted to weed out annual passholders, which had grown to about 1 million, when it dramatically hiked annual pass prices, according to Miceage.com, a Disney watchdog blog.
    Source: Disney raises park prices, suspends sales of new SoCal passes - The Orange County Register

• See Ya Real Soon!

Re: Disneyland Suspends Sales of New SoCal Passes

Just saw an article on Yahoo! about this.

They should really just do away with both SoCal Passes PERMANENTLY!

Quote Originally Posted by disneychrista View Post
    I don't think so. These passholders add guests to the park during less busy times. This does add some revenue to the park as well as justify the cost of ride attendants during those less busy times. Perhaps they should look at having just one S. Cal pass with price and days split between the current options.

• Disney/WWE/Anime fan

Quote Originally Posted by bumblebeeonarose View Post
    I don't think so. These passholders add guests to the park during less busy times. This does add some revenue to the park as well as justify the cost of ride attendants during those less busy times. Perhaps they should look at having just one S. Cal pass with price and days split between the current options.
    which seems to be the case as to the 289 pass is still accepting people while the SoCal Deluxe is gone temporarily. isnt sundays the only difference between the two tiers?

i wouldnt mind them keeping the 289 pass but not allow weekends at all.

then again.. i doubt the crowds would decrease anyways if the passes were to be removed.

• SORCERER

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyFan28 View Post
    which seems to be the case as to the 289 pass is still accepting people while the SoCal Deluxe is gone temporarily. isnt sundays the only difference between the two tiers?

i wouldnt mind them keeping the 289 pass but not allow weekends at all.

then again.. i doubt the crowds would decrease anyways if the passes were to be removed.
    Oh wow, so only the normal social past is blocked for new sales currently, but zoo cal select is allowing exceptions (social select doesn't allow sundays for the most part)

If it is super crowded , then how is letting everyone renew going to reduce crowds , unless they are priced out ?

Makes sense to axe the so cal if thats what they want to do. I always thought it funny how when people blame the APs for crowding, its usually the premium or the select that is blamed for it all. Considering that lower ap blocked days are usually the busiest and the free for all days are far less crowded in comparison, it makes sense that the mid range passes are causing the most crowds.

Its kind of in the middle and may be the best value of the 4. I also wouldn't doubt it is the most popular option and probably makes the least sense for disney as far as profits go. No sticker shock of the high end passes yet they have the ability to cause to a bigger effect on crowding since they are free on quite a few busier days.
    In the quest for quality, I have no problem with the characters footing the bill.

It's about time. They should have done this when Carsland opened.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Jerryp49 View Post
    If it is super crowded , then how is letting everyone renew going to reduce crowds , unless they are priced out ?
    This is there way of trying to avoid upsetting those that already have it. They are banking on lowering the number slowly as people don't renew on their own.

They are basically admitting there are way too many people lining up for Pirates of the Caribbean and clogging up half of New Orleans Square and that Disneyland is going to implode like the Poltergeist house unless they remove the bodies.

Why limit/suspend them, when they could just raise the price by $100 or whatever for each? It would probably accomplish the same thing, only make them more money in the process.
    "Disneyland is a work of love. We didn't go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money." - ​Walt Disney

Quote Originally Posted by greenalfonzo View Post
    Why limit/suspend them, when they could just raise the price by $100 or whatever for each? It would probably accomplish the same thing, only make them more money in the process.
    That's what they did by blocking. You now need a deluxe. They don't look as mean this way. Do you know the ruckus cause by such a huge increase!!

There is a 45 day difference between Select and Regular SoCal passes. They're not all Sundays. We are going in late June M-F and the select is blocked during our trip, but the regular SoCal pass is only blocked on the Friday.

I wonder if this is just the beginning, and they'll eventually phase out all of the current passes for new tiers and pricing.

Quote Originally Posted by disneychrista View Post
    Just saw an article on Yahoo! about this.

If they did that they would alienate the largest core of their revenue generating pass holders.

What I suspect happened is that folks who normally purchased the SoCal passes stayed away for a few years until DCA was complete. Then some more of those stayed away after Cars Land opened for the first year. Then suddenly many SoCal APH came back in a shorter time frame causing record Sunday crowds. Obviously the SoCal passes worked well for Disney for a long time, and in my opinion drove a lot of the food and souvenir sales too. But suspending means just that, they are laying off sales of these passes for the time being but I'll bet anything that at some point they will want these folks who like coming on Sundays.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast