Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Red Face Will it be crowded

This is really a simple question. I am going to Disneyland tomorrow for there 24 hour day, and I am going to get there around 2:00 pm. Do you think it will be to crowded I can't get in?
    Thanks
    Last edited by neverlost; 05-20-2014 at 02:21 PM.

• Foolish Mortal

Re: Will it be crowded

I think you will be two days early if you go tomorrow. :oP

Oops I mean Friday

• formerly very helpful

The simple answer is it will be CROWDED. How crowded? I don't know. I hope you can get in, since I'm showing up around the same time. Let's keep a good thought.

Showing up at 2pm on pretty much any Friday (other than in a rainstorm) will be crowded, although not too crowded to get in. For the 24-hour event though, it might be close to capacity. I can't remember exactly but I thought for the last one folks first started seeing limited admissions around 4pm? So definitely midafternoon starts pushing it.

• The doctor is in

Not only is it always crowded on Fridays, but for the 24-hour event... yes, it will be crowded. You might as well just prepare yourself and I would suggest aiming to get there earlier than 2pm if possible.
    Merrily on our way to nowhere at all.

• Minion

You should be fine arriving by 2 PM. As a veteran of two 24-hour events and NYE that's exactly when I'd want to get there if I were going. It will be a popular event but it's still a Friday in May so schools are not out and anyone with a job would have to take time off.

The real throngs will start descending after work hours in the early evening. If you are planning to park hop do it before then or risk being stuck in the Esplanade if either park becomes full. If I were to park hop it would be well after midnight, maybe not until 1 AM.

How hard is it to get in if one decides to arrive after midnight? (Just in case I lose my mind between now and then.)
    "I know this is probably your first flight, and it's...mine too!"

• Minion

Two years ago the DL gates closed at 9:30 PM and were closed for either 2 or 4 hours, depending on the source. I don't think last year was quite as insane but worry about traffic and parking would keep me away from the area before 1 or 2 AM. You could head in that direction and stay on surface streets with an eye towards u-turning and escaping if traffic starts gumming up. These events are always an adventure...

• Banned User

Semi-related question.

If Friday/Saturday is the big event that will be so packed that any sane person wouldn't go, and if Monday is Memorial Day and is also projected to be busy, what will Sunday be like? Is Sunday automatically going to be a jam-packed crowd because it's sandwiched between the two high-capacity-projection events or is there any chance Sunday might be the quiet little eye-of-the-storm in the middle?

• formerly very helpful

Quote Originally Posted by bigcatrik View Post
    You should be fine arriving by 2 PM. As a veteran of two 24-hour events and NYE that's exactly when I'd want to get there if I were going. It will be a popular event but it's still a Friday in May so schools are not out and anyone with a job would have to take time off.

The real throngs will start descending after work hours in the early evening. If you are planning to park hop do it before then or risk being stuck in the Esplanade if either park becomes full. If I were to park hop it would be well after midnight, maybe not until 1 AM.
    That's good to know.

If you want to be sure you ought to check twitter before you go. All the different Disneyland accounts are pretty good about reporting when/if a parking lot is full or the gates are closed due to capacity. They'll let you know when places run out of the good foods, too!

I'm wondering why people line up the night before. Is there a particular reason for this?

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by fifthrider View Post
    Semi-related question.

If Friday/Saturday is the big event that will be so packed that any sane person wouldn't go, and if Monday is Memorial Day and is also projected to be busy, what will Sunday be like? Is Sunday automatically going to be a jam-packed crowd because it's sandwiched between the two high-capacity-projection events or is there any chance Sunday might be the quiet little eye-of-the-storm in the middle?
    As a rule of thumb, Saturday has fewer APers eligible to enter than Sunday, but this weekend both Saturday and Sunday are blocked out for *all* passes except Premium/Premiere so you might have something there.

https://disneyland.disney.go.com/passes/blockout-dates/

I'm starting to think that to find a manageable Disneyland experience we'll have to shift our thinking from "off-season" to "early hours." Practically every day from rope drop to 1 or 2 hours later should be the least busy Disneyland will be, with walk-ons all over the park.

• Banned User

Dude, you said it.

My last few trips I have really enjoyed all time from rope-drop until about 11am, maybe noon at the most. After that? I'm off to do other things outside of the resort. Your idea is just ahead of the curve and I couldn't agree more.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast