Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

• former CM

Things others have freaked out over & U didn't and vice versa

Have you been reading Micechat for years?
    What have others freaked out over and you didn't, and
    what have you freaked out over that others haven't.
    (The reaction to Disneyland's price increase made me think of these questions.)

Me:
    1. I lost it when the Big Thunder BBQ opened and the prices were much, much higher that what I thought were reasonable. I started threads on numerous Disney fan sites and wrote letters to different Disney leaders. (Some of the prices there did come down a tiny bit.)

Others:
    1. When the waterfalls were removed from the Disneyland Hotel, many were hurt that part of their childhood was being aborted. I thought these falls with their smooth cement were boring and even depressing, and I was a bit insensitive when I stated so. Still sorry!

2. The Mickey & Friends parking lot. Just yesterday I admired the plants that hang off of the east side ledges. I think it's clean, attractive and well-designed for a parking lot and (unless there is a rare, unusually bad CM or two) impressively well run.

3. The additions to Small World. Though the Toy Story additions (especially Woody) look out of place to me,
    I really like the country appropriate & Mary Blair-style Disney characters that have been added
    with subtle music from their movies woven into the Sherman Bros. classic.
    I still wish this ride would be sped up about 20-30%. If you want to take it all, just ride it twice.

4. The thought of poorer parents and their kids not being able get in reminds me of MLK describing the tears in his daughters eyes as she asked why they couldn't go to a segregated amusement park. (See his best thing ever written "Letter From Letter Birmingham Jail".) But, perhaps because I'm truly awful & increasingly callous about America's economic disparity, the economics of Disney Park prices really doesn't bother me as much as maybe it should. Maybe because I truly love Knott's and I think that anyone can afford that if they skimp and save,
    and
    a couple of Knott's Season Passes, with years in between of beach trips and extensive use of a library card seem great to me. So this might be a serious flaw of mine, but I rarely get annoyed when Disney raises theme park prices, but once I'm in the park I don't feel like I should be gouged for snacks and food. For some reason THAT really annoys me. (
    Nine dollar beers at the Renaissance Fair this year really p----d me off. No one in our large group had any, and the bells the servers ring when they are tipped seemed unusually silent this year.)
    Last edited by jcruise86; 05-21-2014 at 02:43 PM.

Re: Things others have freaked out over & U didn't and vice versa

What have others freaked out about that I haven't? Most everything.

What do I freak out about? Not much really. Short of the park being utterly destroyed I like to roll with things.

In regards to economics, which seems to be a hot topic-
    When going to Disney I research here and elsewhere for pricing information so I have a pretty firm idea of what my expenses will be from walking in the gate to the time I get home. I slush in 20% or so more just in case. I carry cash for the days expenses and when I am out of cash I should be out of day also. Pretty simple really. I budget for it so that I can enjoy it.

MLK believed in equality of opportunity, not result. This fact seems to be lost on many.

As for beer at the Ren Faire....Sporran and flask works well so I am told. A bit of apple pie Loki goes a ways. I am a tea tottler though so what do I know about such things.

• Certified DL Addict

I agree with the Mickey & Friends parking lot... Toy Story lot has such a cult following with APs but honestly I like the parking garage better. It's nice to have my car covered from the sun and the trams are very quick to me (and you can walk if there's too long of a wait). I always try to park there first, I don't really like having to take the bus back and forth to Toy Story.

I don't mind the increase in the Annual Pass prices, the value of them is incredible when you think of what you're paying per-day. I think the SoCal and SoCal Select need to both go bu-bye, maybe just offer a small discount on the Deluxe and Premium for SoCal Residents (I live in Vegas btw so I wouldn't benefit from any discounts). I think the one-day prices are getting ridiculous, $150 to have a 1-day park hopper makes it difficult for families to justify the price, I feel bad for them.
    2014 Gumball Rally Team- Skyway Sweethearts
    *~Disneyland Premium Annual Passholder~*

• formerly very helpful

the first thing that comes to mind is how many people freaked out about Jolly Holiday Bakery opening on Main Street.

I rarely freak out about anything at Disney. I only panic.

Putting children seven years old and younger in strollers if the visit is 3 days or longer. Many micechat folks didn't like the idea as it increased the volume of walking space consumed by strollers. A stroller saved my trip with my young son as on day three he could no longer keep up the pace. It made for a very pleasant last day and happy son. When i construct trip plans for folks who are visiting, I always tell them there is no harm in pushing a child in a stroller, always evaluate the physical and exhausted condition of younger child.

I freaked out when Billy Hill and the Hillbillies were removed:
    A. That they were being removed!!!!
    B. That I would never enter the Golden Horseshoe again !!!
    C. That many folks had never seen them, "What? what were you thinking?"

Starbucks in Disneyland.... I don't bother drinking coffee while I'm there anyway. I don't drink much Starbucks in my daily life, so it's not a priority or a concern for me.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

The removal of the California letters.

Enforcing Fastpass return times.

• Minion

I freaked out when they changed the carousel music. Not so much because they added music from Toy Story and the like, but rather because the "band organ" doesn't have the same robust sound as the old tracks. But I don't think anyone else really cared or noticed much of a difference. It still bothers me, though.

• Chief Troublemaker

I didn't freak over the addition of Starbucks, love me my Caramel Frapp (w/extra caramel!).

Hmm, what did I freak out over that others didn't? Really can't think of anything. Maybe the dearth of Haunted Mansion Dooneys?
    "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

• formerly very helpful

I tend to - if not freak out - then get fairly passionate in my hatred toward the Haunted Mansion Holiday overlay. I LOVE the original, and this is just blasphemy in my eyes.

• Zephyr Pilot

I don't think I freak out about anything. I usually just roll with the changes, even the major ones.

Others freak out about seeing outside power lines from inside DCA.

•   
    • Minion

There are a lot of things that come to mind. The first would be NYE crowds. When I was new to the site I asked people about the experience of NYE. I have now done it 5 years in a row and it is crowded but very fun. All the horror story's that people brought out definitely did not live up to expectations IMO. I really enojy the couple times it's been foggy too.

notable runner ups
    Carsland not fitting in the DCA theme
    Princess Fantasy Faire taking over the Carnation plaza
    Marvel Characters in innoventions
    FP return times enforced

While I don't freak out I do lament some changes. The loss of Country Bear, People Mover, and Carnation Plaza are the most significant for me.

Other changes I embrace. As I said I roll with it. I enjoy my time in the parks too much to get worked up.

• former CM

Quote Originally Posted by HunterRose13 View Post
    . . . As for beer at the Ren Faire....Sporran and flask works well so I am told . . .
    Yes, I came back from the fair vowing that next year I would sneak in alcohol into a place for the first time since the 1980s. I know exactly how I'm going to do it.

So far I've learned too new words on this thread: sporran and Dooneys. Both bags.

SBK1234, I too prefer the original Haunted Mansion, but the overlay is amusing, and when we've had APs I've welcomed the change of monsters. The lines for the overlay helped me to stop disliking it because if so many like it, who am I to say to deny them?

If I added to those over-rated & underrated threads that were active a couple of months ago, I'd commit Disney blasphemy by listing the train, because for most of the ride the views are not scenic, unless you like a tree-covered berm. (I guess that beats the views on parts of the 5 freeway in Orange & L.A. counties.)

Two of you don't "freak out," but you "lament" and "panic." Interesting. I know most people, especially Micechatters, never freak out, and--please--share this with us, or feel free keep your superior mental state to yourself and don't make me feel like the true disney FREAK I am. Or do. I'm partly relieved there are normal people out there because I'd like one if THEM to perform surgery on my if I ever need it.
    Last edited by jcruise86; 05-22-2014 at 06:12 AM.

The over rated thread started April 2 and ended May 2 with 82 replies.

But now you have me really freaked out...the train???????? Do you know many folks that train saved when our tickets ran out in the first four decades of visiting Disneyland

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast