Frontierland Expansion

There's a lot of talk about a possible Tomorrowland or Fantasyland expansion/redo. It got me thinking about what TDA could do with an expansion or redo of Frontierland. Frontierland seems to me to have a bit of a problem in the fact that the idea of the frontier (old west, pioneers, cowboys, etc.) doesn't hold the same appeal in the current pop culture climate as it did when Disneyland opened. Westerns and fascination with the Old West persisted and dominated American Pop Culture for decades, really ending in the mid-80's with some of Peckinpah's later works. There's been some hits here and there (the works of Cormac McCarthy, Unforgiven, The Quick and the Dead, The Proposition), but for the most part, the romanticism and appeal of the Western has largely waned to almost obscurity in the last two decades.

So what would you do to revitalize Frontierland? Here's some of my thoughts.

Western River Expedition: Probably the grandaddy of all lost ideas. Marc Davis's lost labor of love, I'd love to see this fully realized with modern technology (LPS Maybe?) and expanded ideas. (Western River Expedition - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia). Best location would be where the current Big Thunder BBQ, Petting Zoo, and Jamboree currently are.

Country Bear Jamboree: Bring it back, with updated effects and animatronics and a larger theater to absorb larger crowds.

Possible D-ticket along backside of the RoA: I don't know really what would go here. Maybe a people mover-esque ride that coasts along the backside of the RoA, where the old Nature's Wonderland train ride use to travel.

Anyone have any other ideas?
    "Fairy tales, then, are not responsible for producing in children fear, or any of the shapes of fear; fairy tales do not give the child the idea of the evil or the ugly; that is in the child already, because it is in the world already. Fairy tales do not give the child his first idea of bogey. What fairy tales give the child is his first clear idea of the possible defeat of bogey."
    -
    G.K. Chesterton

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Re: Frontierland Expansion

American Keel Boats

Start off normal going around TSI.....than we spot an upsidedown and semi-smashed keel boat at the waters edge. A moment later we see a second smashed keel boat and the pilot is starting to get real nervous. Suddenly, up ahead a geyser erupts and the pilot tries to turn the boat around....to no avail.....the boat glides backwards over the spot where the eruption took place and all of the sudden the water around the boat gets very agitated and everything starts to rock wildly as we shoot up into the air a good 50 feet. Luckily we come back down a little less violent than the doomed Keel boats we passed earlier

Obviously these "Keel Boats" will only look like "Keel Boats" and will have much more in common with the jeeps of Indiana Jones fame than their capsizing predecessors.

It would be like if the Keel Boats and the Mine Trains thru Natures Wonderland had a child who was obsessed with the Twilight Zone Tower of Terror

Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

There is alot more space for FL to stretch its legs than the other lands. The land that currently has the Big Thunder Ranch plus Jamboree is a bit of a waste to me. The area is big enough over there to create some type of mini land or attraction. Maybe not enough room for Western River Expedition, but something could go back there.
    Come Along, Pond!

I think that a scaled down version of WRE could possibly go West of Big Thunder at Disneyland. Maybe a possible dark ride or interactive ride could go next to Big Thunder Ranch, because there honestly isn't a lot of room there unless you take out the Barbecue and the Ranch, which I don't think is very likely in the near future. I am not sure if Frontierland at Disneyland has enough room to add another building on top of what has been mentioned for Country Bear.
    On the other hand, at the Magic Kingdom, there is a huge amount of land where WRE and a D-Ticket attraction could go in Frontierland. There is a ton of land behind the train station where the restrooms are that isn't being occupied. The WRE could go to the left (or north) or the restrooms and the D-Ticket attraction could go behind (west) the restrooms, with the queues going around the restrooms to the walking path.

• Not the Hawkguy

I'm going to preface this with, while Frontierland has a problem, in that it is very much a one-ride land in the eyes of many guests and has plenty of space for expansion, it's maybe second on the list of big issues in Disneyland behind Tomorrowland (and the real reason Fantasyland comes up so often is the idea of ceding off land north of the Sub Lagoon to a Frozen sub-land that would also help thematically place the Materhorn in a cold area). That said, here's what I think should happen:

1) Shrink Tom Sawyer Island a bit, RoA water area stays same - Hear me out; I want to lop off part of the northern end of TSI, and move the Mark Twain/Columbia track in a bit. BUT, I also don't want to completely fill in land by the Ranch. Instead, I want to create the idea of a bay, complete with lighthouse, because

2) Bring in Discovery Bay - Themed to 1900s San Francisco, Discovery Bay represents the world on the cusp of technological breakthroughs. Rides would include:
    - Roller Coaster themed to Tesla coils.
    - Western River Expedition, except themed to the Gold Rush
    - Nautilus Walk-through exhibit
    - Dark ride set in a fireworks factory
    The current BTR BBQ would have a new home in Discovery Bay, along with an Oriental eatery and a seafood restaurant. Discovery Bay would take up the current BTR area and the Festival of Fools, and would incorporate showbuildings beyond the berm for the WRE.

3) Future development - I'd like to return Cascade Peak and turn it into an explorable area, with some trails through and around it, along with some interactive elements.

The problem is that Disneyland lacks land. They could get land by removeing something, though I don't see this happening for awhile.
    Disneyland, the happiest place on earth.

•   

Frontierland a one-ride land? Agreed. Although there's technically several attractions ( Mark Twain, Columbia, Golden Horseshoe, etc. ) it really still feels like a one-ride town.

Expand into the back where the jamboree is? Absolutely.

Move the ROA or change the footprint of Tom Sawyer Island? Ehh,... I'm not feeling it as a practical use of money for whatever tradeoff could be gained. Major expense, minor ( potential ) plus.

I'd just work on that first idea of expanding into the BBQ and jamboree and see if that doesn't do it for ya. I'm liking the idea of putting the CB Jamboree at the back of that area almost up against the DLRR tracks but still leaving the area between it and the back of BTMRR for the BBQ patrons and maybe a small multi-purpose area to continue using it for meet-n-greets, seasonal events, etc.
    Your first, your last, your only defense against the scum of the ethereal plane.

<a href=http://westcoastbusters.com/ target=_blank>http://westcoastbusters.com/</a>

Quote Originally Posted by Nirya View Post
    I'm going to preface this with, while Frontierland has a problem, in that it is very much a one-ride land in the eyes of many guests and has plenty of space for expansion, it's maybe second on the list of big issues in Disneyland behind Tomorrowland (and the real reason Fantasyland comes up so often is the idea of ceding off land north of the Sub Lagoon to a Frozen sub-land that would also help thematically place the Materhorn in a cold area). That said, here's what I think should happen:

1) Shrink Tom Sawyer Island a bit, RoA water area stays same - Hear me out; I want to lop off part of the northern end of TSI, and move the Mark Twain/Columbia track in a bit. BUT, I also don't want to completely fill in land by the Ranch. Instead, I want to create the idea of a bay, complete with lighthouse, because

2) Bring in Discovery Bay - Themed to 1900s San Francisco, Discovery Bay represents the world on the cusp of technological breakthroughs. Rides would include:
    - Roller Coaster themed to Tesla coils.
    - Western River Expedition, except themed to the Gold Rush
    - Nautilus Walk-through exhibit
    - Dark ride set in a fireworks factory
    The current BTR BBQ would have a new home in Discovery Bay, along with an Oriental eatery and a seafood restaurant. Discovery Bay would take up the current BTR area and the Festival of Fools, and would incorporate showbuildings beyond the berm for the WRE.

3) Future development - I'd like to return Cascade Peak and turn it into an explorable area, with some trails through and around it, along with some interactive elements.
    These are great ideas, though I'd probably scale back the timeline to a more 1880ish feel rather than a 1900 San Fran feel.
    "Fairy tales, then, are not responsible for producing in children fear, or any of the shapes of fear; fairy tales do not give the child the idea of the evil or the ugly; that is in the child already, because it is in the world already. Fairy tales do not give the child his first idea of bogey. What fairy tales give the child is his first clear idea of the possible defeat of bogey."
    -
    G.K. Chesterton