Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

What Should Happen to A Bug's Land

The theme of DCA is California. This is shown in all of the lands/area in the parks except A Bug's Land (yes, Cars Land takes place in California). I know that it houses attractions that kids love, but I was thinking if the area could be re-themed to a theme that ties in with California. The attractions can all be kept and re-themed, but new ones can be added, as there is a ton of land (a parking lot) behind Tuck and Roll Em' Buggies.

I was thinking about themes and this is what I came up with. One is The Golden Valley, with the theme being the gold rush. A runaway mine train ride can be built to take miners through the gold mines/riverbeds, and a kids activity can be built to have kids pan for gold (in the shape of Mickey) in a river. The other is California Coast, with the theme being the Pacific Ocean and scenic Route 1. A lake can be built in the now parking lot area to be the Pacific Ocean, and a simulator ride can be built that simulates driving down the California Coast. Any comments on which theme is better or any suggestions for a different theme?

Re: What Should Happen to A Bug's Land

Well first, Cars Land absolutely does not take place in California. Cars Land is just a recreation of Radiator Springs, and Radiator Springs is explicitly said to not be in California in the movie. Because during the whole movie Lightning McQueen keeps saying how he needs to get to California and the other characters make it clear that they don't like in California. So, just on that point... No, Cars Land, like Bug's Land, has nothing to do with California at all. In fact, A Bug's Land could technically be in California, since it's never explicitly said where they live in the movie and bugs are everywhere.

I personally feel that there is nothing worth saving in A Bug's Land, except for It's Tough to Be a Bug. The rest of land is filled with rides that make Fantasyland "kiddie rides" look like E-Tickets by comparison.

I think the best option they should do would be to get rid of the land entirely, but leave It's Tough to Be a Bug and they should change the current walkway into Flik's Fun Fair into a giant fallen Sequoia tree that extends out to the walking path. They should change that path area to make it look like dirt and make all of the current Bug's Land area an extension of Grizzly Peak. You could walk through the fallen giant fallen log and there could be a hole in the side that would lead you down into It's Tough to Be a Bug, which would fit with the motif better. Then when you get through the log there's maybe a better themed "kiddie ride" having to do with California's forests, or there's a dark ride entrance and they could make the dark ride underground to save space. Then inside that area they could also put a really nice wood cabin mountain themed restaurant with some California themed dishes. (Think Hungry Bear in DL, or Black Bear Diner for those who have been to that real world eatery.) And similarly to Flik's Fun Fair, instead of being covered with clovers, they could plant some real and some fake huge Redwood trees to make you really feel like you're in the forest -- something I wish they did a lot more of in the existing Grizzly Peak.

I think that would be a much better use of the space and a great way to add another food place and an extension of Grizzly Peak, a land that I personally wished they would expand there, and also expand and take over Condor Flats as well.
    Words any Disney fan and especially Disney employee should live by:

"Disneyland is a work of love. We didn't go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money."
    -Walt Disney

"Disneyland will never be completed. It will continue to grow as long as there is imagination left in the world."
    -Walt Disney

"I do not like to repeat successes, I like to go on to other things."
    -Walt Disney

"We did it, Disneyland, in the knowledge that most of the people I talked to thought it would be a financial disaster - closed and forgotten within the first year."
    -Walt Disney

"It's kind of fun to do the impossible."
    -Walt Disney

"I only hope that we don't lose sight of one thing - that it was all started by a mouse."
    -Walt Disney

All sound like fine ideas, but the fact is that A Bug's Land was built because the park lacked attractions for little ones. It didn't have its own "Dumbo" or "Tea Cups." The park needed those kinds of rides then, and it needs them now. It would actually be a foolish decision to remove five or six family / children's rides to replace them with a single simulator or thrill ride.

As for the theme, okay - "A Bug's Life" isn't set in California. Correct. But neither is Little Mermaid, Monsters Inc., or Cars (yep, nope, not California). Some people think it's worth quibbling about (as if it really matters at this point) but the fact of the matter is, Bug's Land is highly successful for what it is, it's nicely themed, and it's a great escape for kids. It fulfills the same function today that it did when it was introduced by providing some fun, carnival-style rides for kids, and it does it much more tastefully than the Paradise Pier rides of the same era. Could it use a real dark ride themed to the film? Sure, yep. But I'm sure replacing or even re-theming Bug's Land is not even in the top 100 things that Disney executives would have on their "to-do" list for the Disneyland Resort, and it's probably not in the top 100 things that fans​ want, either.
    I believe I chose the life of a tomb raider, because
    I'm addicted to the excitement that comes when life hangs in the balance.
    Famous last words.

• Minion

• Minion

Raid.

No, you're right, they need kids' play areas. We had Skull Rock, Swiss Family Treehouse and Tom Sawyer Island to play on. There does need to be some space set aside for kids.

• Nutty about Disney parks

Quote Originally Posted by bkroz View Post
    All sound like fine ideas, but the fact is that A Bug's Land was built because the park lacked attractions for little ones. It didn't have its own "Dumbo" or "Tea Cups." The park needed those kinds of rides then, and it needs them now. It would actually be a foolish decision to remove five or six family / children's rides to replace them with a single simulator or thrill ride.

As for the theme, okay - "A Bug's Life" isn't set in California. Correct. But neither is Little Mermaid, Monsters Inc., or Cars (yep, nope, not California). Some people think it's worth quibbling about (as if it really matters at this point) but the fact of the matter is, Bug's Land is highly successful for what it is, it's nicely themed, and it's a great escape for kids. It fulfills the same function today that it did when it was introduced by providing some fun, carnival-style rides for kids, and it does it much more tastefully than the Paradise Pier rides of the same era. Could it use a real dark ride themed to the film? Sure, yep. But I'm sure replacing or even re-theming Bug's Land is not even in the top 100 things that Disney executives would have on their "to-do" list for the Disneyland Resort, and it's probably not in the top 100 things that fans​ want, either.
    I just don't want them to completely give up on the theming for DCA altogether and turn everything into Pixar movie lands.
    Toonaspie: I have Asperger's. I like cartoons. Toonaspie!

I think they should just rename DCA. Just call it Disney Adventure or something.

Perhaps early on DCA didn't have many attractions that young kids could go on, but that's not true anymore... there is the entire Grizzly Peak Recreation Area and the entire Art of Animation building for them to play in. There's Muppet Vision 3-D, Monsters, Inc., Little Mermaid, Goofy's Plane ride, the Jellyfish jumpers, the Golden Zephyr, the Silly Symphony Swings, the Ferris Wheel, Toy Story Midway Mania, King Triton's Carousel, It's Tough to Be a Bug (which I would want to keep), Mater's Junkyard Jamboree, and Luigi's Flying Tires... All things that young children can do in DCA. So I don't think that A Bug's Land needs to be saved in order for young kids to have a place to play or rides to go on... DCA is full of rides and attractions for young kids.

The main difference between A Bug's Land "kiddie" rides and other "kiddie" rides in DL is that in DL, you still see older kids and adults going on the Fantasyland rides or other "kiddie" attractions by themselves, without small children. But A Bug's Land now only serves as a shortcut land to walk through for older kids and adults, because the rides are just so short and small and not very good at all compared to others. I think that area would be much better served as an extension of another land, hopefully Grizzly Peak.
    Words any Disney fan and especially Disney employee should live by:

"Disneyland is a work of love. We didn't go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money."
    -Walt Disney

"Disneyland will never be completed. It will continue to grow as long as there is imagination left in the world."
    -Walt Disney

"I do not like to repeat successes, I like to go on to other things."
    -Walt Disney

"We did it, Disneyland, in the knowledge that most of the people I talked to thought it would be a financial disaster - closed and forgotten within the first year."
    -Walt Disney

"It's kind of fun to do the impossible."
    -Walt Disney

"I only hope that we don't lose sight of one thing - that it was all started by a mouse."
    -Walt Disney

• Minion

I say keep the rides, but re-theme them, including the land as a whole to something more California-specific. As well-themed as a bug's land is, it just doesn't work that well with the rest of the park.

Leave the kids to have a quiet shady place where they can run in the water and ride some kid friendly rides.

How about we just rip out all roller coasters because that isn't made to be enjoyed by "all ages".

Quote Originally Posted by jasmineray View Post
    I say keep the rides, but re-theme them, including the land as a whole to something more California-specific. As well-themed as a bug's land is, it just doesn't work that well with the rest of the park.
    Agreed.

Someone mentioned Grizzly Peak Recreation Area as a place for kids, which is true but that's not really a ride. That's a park. The Art of Animation building... Are we kidding? Muppet Vision 3-D is the worst thing to happen to a theme park... EVER! Monsters, Inc. and Little Mermaid are great for kids. But Goofy's Sky School, Jumpin' Jellyfish and the Silly Symphony Swings all have a certain height requirements. True, there is the Golden Zephyr but it doesn't last long and is only permitted depending on wind. Most kids are scared of heights so the Ferris Wheel is available depending. Toy Story Midway Mania, King Triton's Carousel, It's Tough to Be a Bug, Mater's Junkyard Jamboree, and Luigi's Flying Tires are also great for kids but lets not pretend kids have as much to do here as Disneyland. A Bug's Land rides are subpar and should be upgraded to something with more quality but you can still find my wife in there with our little ones wasting time and evening out other rides wait times. A lot of kids like it. Not every part of the park should be both fun for kids and adults. Sometimes its the kids, sometimes its the adults. I think A Bug's Land is needed in DCA.

Quote Originally Posted by Cjedwards44 View Post
    lets not pretend kids have as much to do here as Disneyland.
    That may be true, but there isn't as much for anyone to do in DCA as there is in Disneyland. That's been one of the issues of the park since its opening. I think child-friendly attractions are definitely necessary to the park, but a whole land devoted to them is not. They should be more evenly distributed throughout the park. Along with the the parking lot behind the Tower of Terror, A Bug's Land is the only space where they can really expand. There is space to work with to fit in more kid rides (the old Maliboomer pad, the circle area behind King Triton's & the Screamin' entrance, the Jumpin' Jellyfish & Goofy's Sky School space when they go away, the Hollywood Backlot).

Disneyland has no space totally dedicated to one age group or the other. Toon Town has Roger Rabbit's Car Toon Spin, & Gadget's Go Coaster (which has a height limit); Fantasyland has Matterhorn, and even all the dark rides, the Mad Tea Party, and Storybook Land Canal Boats are just as enjoyable for adults.

• Disney is home

Quote Originally Posted by JamesDusenberry View Post
    Perhaps early on DCA didn't have many attractions that young kids could go on, but that's not true anymore... there is the entire Grizzly Peak Recreation Area and the entire Art of Animation building for them to play in. There's Muppet Vision 3-D, Monsters, Inc., Little Mermaid, Goofy's Plane ride, the Jellyfish jumpers, the Golden Zephyr, the Silly Symphony Swings, the Ferris Wheel, Toy Story Midway Mania, King Triton's Carousel, It's Tough to Be a Bug (which I would want to keep), Mater's Junkyard Jamboree, and Luigi's Flying Tires... All things that young children can do in DCA. So I don't think that A Bug's Land needs to be saved in order for young kids to have a place to play or rides to go on... DCA is full of rides and attractions for young kids.

The main difference between A Bug's Land "kiddie" rides and other "kiddie" rides in DL is that in DL, you still see older kids and adults going on the Fantasyland rides or other "kiddie" attractions by themselves, without small children. But A Bug's Land now only serves as a shortcut land to walk through for older kids and adults, because the rides are just so short and small and not very good at all compared to others. I think that area would be much better served as an extension of another land, hopefully Grizzly Peak.
    Did you know that two of the rides you listed have height requirements? I know it's easy when we talk about kids to think about kids in the 6-11 age range, but there are also kids that are younger than that. Think about the three year olds, the ones that are old enough to have to have a ticket in order to get into the park.

I don't visit or care for "A Bug's Land" but I know it serves a purpose and I know it's a place that is needed. Until California Adventure gets it's own version of a Fantasyland, "A Bug's Land" is going no where. Honestly, it's not worth losing for such a small piece of land. To me it would make more sense to lose the "It's tough to be a bug" theater than "Flik's Fun Fair".

Every single thing Disney has done to Disney's California Adventure since 2001 has de-emphasized the "California" and emphasized the "Disney". Which is why the possessive was dropped at the completion of the major remodel. It's now three seperate words:
    Disney California Adventure, and the major theme of the park is DISNEY. As it should be.
    The California specific Superstar Limo? Not good. The Disney specific Monster's Inc. Mike and Sully to the Rescue? Much better. The California specific Mulholland Madness? Average. The Disney specific Goofy's Sky School? Definitely improved. And on and on as they improved the park to be nearly all Disney.

A bug's land is based on a Disney movie, therefore it totally belongs in a Disney park. Are the rides just re-themed off the shelf rides? Unfortunately yes, but they're still pretty fun rides for children. And the area itself is very nicely themed and shaded.

A few of you have some nice ideas on what could be done there (the fallen Sequoia idea is great) but Disney is not removing a bug's land anytime soon. If ever.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast