Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

• Selfie Expert

Rock Your Disney Side 24hr Event with Captain America and (tiny) Hulk!

Finally, my turn to share my experience at the Rock Your Disney Side 24hr Event - May 23rd/24th.

As per my usual, this will be broken up into multiple installments based on life.

Let's start at the very beginning: Sky Harbor Airport (Phoenix) on Thursday May 22nd.

Originally, there were three of us attending the event together. We had planned to drive up Thursday, get a hotel for Thursday and Friday with the plan to just sleep a few hours Saturday morning after the event before I drove us all home. Well, the third person ended up backing out, so my friend Erin and I decided to fly standby to John Wayne.

We got to the airport at 9:30 for our flight scheduled to leave at 11:50. When we got to security, the line seemed much longer than usual. We found out the power had gone out at the other gates' security point, so everyone moved to the one we were at. Wow, sucks to be them!

We got to our gate, and I noticed it was dark... and the vending machines were off... and the computer screens were off... Wow, sucks to be us!

We could not be listed on the standby list or anything for our flight thanks to the fact that all power was off in our terminal. As we sat down, they began boarding a plane headed to LAX at the gate next to our's. I thought I would ask if they would let us on, even though they couldn't actually verify or document anything, because it doesn't hurt to ask. I was shocked that they let us on, and we happily flew to LAX. When we landed there, I got a text from the airline saying our original flight had been delayed an hour. I have a feeling we wouldn't have gotten on! We sure lucked out. Anyway, we grabbed a taxi and drove to our hotel to check in.

First thing to take care of was lunch, and since I had yet to try Earl of Sandwich we headed there.

I had the club, my friend had the Holiday (it has a longer name... but you know what I mean)

We both really enjoyed our meals!

At this point, it was still early afternoon (around 2pm), so we wandered around downtown and to the esplanade to see what was going on.

Lots of media equipment and a sand Olaf being sculpted. We were pretty excited for the next day!

We headed back to the opposite end of Downtown to get to Trader Sam's, and stopped in Marceline's on the way because we couldn't resist.

I had never explored the lobbies at Disneyland Hotel, so we went through each one.

Finally, around 4pm, we made it to our destination.

After four hours of fun (and drinks), we walked (stumbled) back to our hotel room and turned in for the night. We had a long day ahead of us and wanted to rest!

Thank you to Poisonedapples for my awesome signature!
    KellyMcG86's Disneyland To Do List

• Selfie Expert

Re: Rock Your Disney Side 24hr Event with Captain America and (tiny) Hulk!

Friday, May 23rd.

We woke up at 4:48am. I like to set my alarms to end on 8's. Don't judge.

We jumped out of bed ready to conquer the day (Ha! Lies.) After some groaning and getting our stuff packed up and held at the hotel, we headed out and got to bag check at about 5:50am.

I was shocked to see:

No one. What? I started to wonder if I had mixed up the dates or something.

There was a line at the gates, obviously, but not nearly as bad as I had expected!

I stopped to grab a photo with a girl I recognized from a Disney Bounding group on Facebook (and no, this is not a "bounding" outfit, it's just an awesome costume!!)

Here we are at 6am. (Note - I wiped the lipstick off right after this because I was already sick of it)

This man got major Dad points with me - wearing full on green tights and everything.

We were in the gates within 10 minutes of opening and were so excited to see a very unpacked park ahead of us.

Stopped for a photo in front of the castle.

Gawked at an empty Fantasyland

Then hopped in line for our first ride of the day

The posted wait time said 30 minutes, but the actual wait was maybe 20.

More Fantasyland in the next installment - gotta take care of this headache that I totally attribute to being awake 40 hours straight (worth it)!

• Vidia's Minion

Hah, I went there for lunch (earl of sandwich) the day after when I was going home I had a fajita chicken sandwich (looks like it was an item that isn't always around). Yum!

• Joe Flowers

I was shocked at how uncrowded the park was. I was really expecting a lot more people to show up. I wonder how it went from Disney's perspective. Did enough people show up to make it worth it for them, so they'll do this again?

Even after some craziness at the airport, it looks like you had a fun beginning of your trip once you got to DL. Looking forward to more photos and stories from the day.

• See Ya Real Soon!

I only watched some of the live feed and the only place that looked at all crowded was by Pirates (the Fantasmic Feed).

• formerly very helpful

The lack of crowds (?) was definitely an unexpected blessing. It wasn't empty by any stretch of the imagination, but far from the madhouse I feared. It sure seemed no worse than any other weekend at the park. Less than some. Can't wait to see more of your report. Take some Tylenol and feel better.

• Minion

Great trip report so far, looking forward to the rest

• formerly very helpful

And has Erin set up her micechat account, yet?

• #bringevilback

I can't wait for more! I'm excited to see the early hours that I missed!

• Selfie Expert

Quote Originally Posted by Jayce View Post
    Hah, I went there for lunch (earl of sandwich) the day after when I was going home I had a fajita chicken sandwich (looks like it was an item that isn't always around). Yum!
    Mmm that sounds pretty yummy!

Quote Originally Posted by mre200200 View Post
    I was shocked at how uncrowded the park was. I was really expecting a lot more people to show up. I wonder how it went from Disney's perspective. Did enough people show up to make it worth it for them, so they'll do this again?

Even after some craziness at the airport, it looks like you had a fun beginning of your trip once you got to DL. Looking forward to more photos and stories from the day.
    It seems like it will be an annual thing... at least I hope!

Quote Originally Posted by disneychrista View Post
    I only watched some of the live feed and the only place that looked at all crowded was by Pirates (the Fantasmic Feed).
    There were times where it got pretty crowded, but never got unbearable (to me). I was really pleasantly surprised!

Quote Originally Posted by sbk1234 View Post
    The lack of crowds (?) was definitely an unexpected blessing. It wasn't empty by any stretch of the imagination, but far from the madhouse I feared. It sure seemed no worse than any other weekend at the park. Less than some. Can't wait to see more of your report. Take some Tylenol and feel better.
    Tylenol and sleep did the trick!

Quote Originally Posted by ssaamm View Post
    Great trip report so far, looking forward to the rest
    Thank you!

And has Erin set up her micechat account, yet?
    Haha no, I wouldn't count on her setting one up, she's got a lot going on right now. I'll keep her updated on the feedback from our TR, though!

Quote Originally Posted by CassiefRN View Post
    I can't wait for more! I'm excited to see the early hours that I missed!
    Trying to get more up right... now!

• Selfie Expert

Our goal was to ride as many rides as possible. We heard mixed opinions on how crowded Fantasyland would be this morning - I'm glad I followed my hunch that it would be slow! Look at the line for Toad:

Right? There is NO LINE!

We tried to take a picture in front of or on (or both) every ride we did.

Next was Dumbo. Again... the "line".

This made me laugh.

To the carousel, where we were the only ones waiting when we walked up! Which means I had first dibs on horses, so of course I chose Jingles.

The carousel was empty

Had to stop for the photo op

Another walk on wait

We had our own vehicle

The ride operator seemed happy to see us, with his line of empty ride vehicles.

We got on 6 rides in about 40 minutes. Not bad! Would we continue the trend?

• formerly very helpful

Nice continuation. Sorry Erin's not likely to join up on the boards. She's cool. Bring her back to California again.

• Selfie Expert

Nice continuation. Sorry Erin's not likely to join up on the boards. She's cool. Bring her back to California again.
    We have tentative plans to return in September. One way or another, I'm sure she'll join me on another trip! She's a great travel buddy. I don't know many other people who can dance around like she can after 20+ hours in Disneyland!

• Selfie Expert

The exit to Pinocchio is right at the Frozen meet and greet. We looked at the line and thought it didn't look all that bad, so we hopped in.

Then we found out it was 2.5-3 hours from that point. Holy moly! Erin was game for it, though, so we waited it out. Luckily, since it was a costume event today, there was lots of people watching to do. We had fun guessing the Disney bound outfits!

Found him!

I was amused by Loki riding the carousel (Let's be honest, I fangirled. AND it was a girl! She looked AMAZING!)

Almost there!

Our turn!

And wouldn't you know it? The only blurry photos from my entire trip:

I asked Anna and Elsa to selfie. Elsa wasn't into it. Anna, as expected, was a good sport.

After that we gave up any mission to actually ride every ride in the parks since we gave up prime time for Frozen. We had no regrets, though! We charged forth into New Orleans Square to got on Pirates, a 5 minutes wait.

Then to the Mansion

Between a group of Jr. High kids in front of us (with matching neon green shirts) and people screaming out the lines in the elevator, I was pretty disappointed by the crowd. We hung out at the back of the hallway to separate ourselves from the kids, and enjoyed our ride. We got stuck only once!

We stopped by Indiana Jones to grab Fastpasses, but the return time was exactly when we had lunch reservations so we passed it up and got in line for Jungle Cruise. The wait was about 20-25 minutes through the upstairs queue.

This guy cursed us or something last night, based on how we felt in the morning...

Great skip

We decided to bite the bullet in wait in line for Indiana Jones. It was about 45 minutes if I recall correctly.

Next up - Tomorrowland!

Quote Originally Posted by KellyMcG86 View Post
    We have tentative plans to return in September. One way or another, I'm sure she'll join me on another trip! She's a great travel buddy. I don't know many other people who can dance around like she can after 20+ hours in Disneyland!
    That's so fun to have a friend like that

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast