Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

• Minion

Re: Was Disney short sighted in their creation of Downtown Disney?

Hmmm, I don't think it's too short sighted. If they wanted to they could just wait/buy out the contracts for whats there now and knock it all down and it wouldn't be an unbelievably huge expense.

• Chief Troublemaker

Previously, DTD for me has been a place I walk through to get to the Esplanade & 2 stores to buy things I couldn't find in the Parks (WoD and Vault 28). Last February we added Rainforest as we had dinner there. Next trip (August) our arrival day (Saturday) won't be a park day so we're figuring on spending a lot more time there (hit the pools, then DTD around 5-6 pm til ??). I think for tourists (with no car) who arrive a day early or have empty time on their departure day may get a lot out of DTD as far as 'time wasting'. I don't think Disney will make much more money off of us there, since we'll probably just be window-shopping & have dinner, but it's nice to have a 'free' place to hang.
    "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

• Donald's #1 Fan

Dtd is a waste of space that only gets in the way when you are trying to get to Disneyland or dca. So much space wasted on such mundane stores.. Filled with the same stuff you can find anywhere else. Disneylands space is at a premium, and all they could think about building was an outdoor mall?

Quote Originally Posted by Stormy View Post
    I think for tourists (with no car) who arrive a day early or have empty time on their departure day may get a lot out of DTD as far as 'time wasting'. I don't think Disney will make much more money off of us there, since we'll probably just be window-shopping & have dinner, but it's nice to have a 'free' place to hang.
    This is basically what we do. The day I drive to Disneyland is never a park day. We get to our hotel, check in, and then spend the rest of the day in DTD.

I think DTD is good for what it is, shopping and dining, but mostly the dining. La Brea Bakery, Jazz Kitchen, Naples, Rainforest Cafe, ESPN Zone, and Earl of Sandwich are all great places to eat -- especially if you're a regular at DL, you can spend the day in the park and then work your way around eating dinner at each spot! House of Blues there is also a great place to see a show and have a drink, as well as a couple other bars they have there.

I think it's good as it is, however I have a somewhat radical plan that I would love to see... Since everyone talks about a third park opening all the time (though honestly I've been on MiceChat for about 7 years now and people have been theorizing about a third park the whole time I've use this site and we're still no where closer to Disney actually doing it. In fact, thinking about it now, the only Disney Parks Resort with more than two parks is WDW, every other Resort just has two sister parks, but I digress.)

But if they were to build a third park... I think a radical, but ultimately great plan, would be to build a new Downtown Disney with the same restaurants and shops as the current one, plus new stuff, on the satellite lot currently used for parking and where most people theorize a third park would be built. Then I think they should build a third gate on the land where Downtown Disney and the parking lots on that side currently sit. It's the perfect size and shape for an EPCOT replica or a Tokyo DisneySea replica.. or potentially a wholly new park. Then you could have all three gates just a hop across the plaza from one another, and Downtown Disney could be bigger, with dedicated areas for outdoor concerts, some grassy areas, etc. and it'd be a win/win
    Words any Disney fan and especially Disney employee should live by:

"Disneyland is a work of love. We didn't go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money."
    -Walt Disney

"Disneyland will never be completed. It will continue to grow as long as there is imagination left in the world."
    -Walt Disney

"I do not like to repeat successes, I like to go on to other things."
    -Walt Disney

"We did it, Disneyland, in the knowledge that most of the people I talked to thought it would be a financial disaster - closed and forgotten within the first year."
    -Walt Disney

"It's kind of fun to do the impossible."
    -Walt Disney

"I only hope that we don't lose sight of one thing - that it was all started by a mouse."
    -Walt Disney

• Donald's #1 Fan

This...! An esplanade with 3 parks and dtd where the Garden walk is would rock!

DTD could potentially be expanded with a 3rd park as you mentioned. It could now be on the east side of the resort where the Toy Story lot drop off is (this is now the third gate, so no need). I think the best thing for them to add would be DisneyQuest. It would give people a reason to go to DTD other than if they have a day to kill. Maybe, even renovate the entire thing into Disney Springs if it is a success at WDW.

• Former Churro Jockey

Quote Originally Posted by Imagineer45 View Post
    DTD could potentially be expanded with a 3rd park as you mentioned. It could now be on the east side of the resort where the Toy Story lot drop off is (this is now the third gate, so no need). I think the best thing for them to add would be DisneyQuest. It would give people a reason to go to DTD other than if they have a day to kill. Maybe, even renovate the entire thing into Disney Springs if it is a success at WDW.
    No thanks. Other then CyberSpace Mountain, the rest of DisneyQuest feels like Innoventions. A Cirque du Soleil could be fun though...
    Disneyland Cast Member
    Outdoor Vending
    1996 - 1999

My interview with MiceAge about working at Disneyland:
    http://micechat.com/blogs/mouth-of-t...ding-crew.html

• Senior Minion

There's not enough space for a third park over there.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
    There's not enough space for a third park over there.
    The park would be where the Toy Story lot currently is and the extended DTD would be where the drop off currently is.

• Done with MC.

While I'd rather see Disney use the land for expanding the park, I actually like DTD. It's tastefully done, has several good restaurants and is kept in "Main Street" condition for the most part. I enjoy the music (both recorded and live) and appreciate the care that is taken to maintain the resort atmosphere.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Imagineer45 View Post
    The park would be where the Toy Story lot currently is and the extended DTD would be where the drop off currently is.
    Sorry, I should have been more specific. The space of DTD and the parking lot between DLH and M&F wouldn't make a good location. I thought that's what some others were suggesting.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

• Rock Star Minion

DTD serves its purpose: It keeps people, who would normally go off property, on property. Disney gets rents, maybe a % of the revenues. Outside companies get the privilege (/prestige) to have a store there.
    Win/Win/Win there. And it's kept well-maintained. (Not dirty, I mean.)
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

Quote Originally Posted by JamesDusenberry View Post
    Then I think they should build a third gate on the land where Downtown Disney and the parking lots on that side currently sit. It's the perfect size and shape for an EPCOT replica or a Tokyo DisneySea replica.. or potentially a wholly new park. Then you could have all three gates just a hop across the plaza from one another, and Downtown Disney could be bigger, with dedicated areas for outdoor concerts, some grassy areas, etc. and it'd be a win/win
    Squeezing a third park in between Disneyland, DCA, the DL Hotel and M&F? That would be terrible. And that land is only about half the size of the normal third park site. There would be no backstage space and/or no parking of the DL Hotel. There's absolutely no way you could fit an Epcot or TDS in there, unless you were talking about a kind of boutique park. Ugh, no.

When people think of building a Westcot or California Epcot or whatever, remember that Epcot is about 300 acres and the whole Disneyland property in California is about 300 acres (Toy Story is between 60-90 acres, I can't remember). Westcot would be a huge disappointment because the park would be a third of the size of Epcot at most, which means that it will only have about 1/3 of the attractions. Now, this problem can be partially solved by either having Westcot only contain the World Showcase or Future World, but they would still be scaled down.
    TDS, however, is 176 acres, so it is more size appropriate, but I would rather see a unique 3rd gate in California. My idea is a hero and villain themed park, but whatever.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast