Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

• Senior Minion

Re: Was Disney short sighted in their creation of Downtown Disney?

Quote Originally Posted by sediment View Post
    DTD serves its purpose: It keeps people, who would normally go off property, on property. Disney gets rents, maybe a % of the revenues. Outside companies get the privilege (/prestige) to have a store there.
    Win/Win/Win there. And it's kept well-maintained. (Not dirty, I mean.)
    100% agreed
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Imagineer45 View Post
    When people think of building a Westcot or California Epcot or whatever, remember that Epcot is about 300 acres and the whole Disneyland property in California is about 300 acres (Toy Story is between 60-90 acres, I can't remember). Westcot would be a huge disappointment because the park would be a third of the size of Epcot at most, which means that it will only have about 1/3 of the attractions. Now, this problem can be partially solved by either having Westcot only contain the World Showcase or Future World, but they would still be scaled down.
    TDS, however, is 176 acres, so it is more size appropriate, but I would rather see a unique 3rd gate in California. My idea is a hero and villain themed park, but whatever.
    You could easily have more attractions in 100 acres then are in all of Epcot. That place was designed to be almost stupidly huge. Giant lake, massive gardens everywhere, huge pathways it's really enormous. Westcot was a pretty different park, designed to be mutli-level and would have fit more attractions then are in Epcot into about 100 acres. But I definitely agree that I'd rather see a new concept for the third gate.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

I think ideally you would put a third gate entrance where DTD is so you have all 3 at the main esplanade. 3rd gate would push into the Simba lot and part of the housing area someone posted a map of a week or two back. Build a new DTD where the the Garden Walk is and put in a water park in Pumbaa. Toy Story becomes a parking structure feeding from the South with it's own tram-

• Indiana Scott

Quote Originally Posted by trdrjeff View Post
    I think ideally you would put a third gate entrance where DTD is so you have all 3 at the main esplanade. 3rd gate would push into the Simba lot and part of the housing area someone posted a map of a week or two back. Build a new DTD where the the Garden Walk is and put in a water park in Pumbaa. Toy Story becomes a parking structure feeding from the South with it's own tram-
    Best idea yet!

• Seeker of Fun

I've always enjoyed the performers and the ambience, however it's basically a shopping experience that I can have at home. That part I have never understood. Why not use the space to more Disney themed projects? I can buy a pair of shoes, or makeup for the wife anywhere, so for me the overall experience is a letdown.
    Stockholder and Walt Disney Autograph holder!!

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by trdrjeff View Post
    Pumbaa has better freeway access and there are plans for more improvements to that area to add even better access. They don't want more cars on Katella so long term, they're not going to want parking on Katella. In fact, the city only granted them a temporary permit for parking there because in the long run it's less then ideal. Also, getting a tram from Toy Story to the front gate would be almost impossible unless they bought Garden Walk and even then it would be extremely costly building bridges over Katella, Disney Way and Harbor. Their plan to let the city build the streetcar to shuttle guests around the resort district makes a lot more sense and will save Disney a fortune.
    -Walt Disney

• Donald's #1 Fan

The issue here is - WestCot is the best idea I can think of, but it'll become outdated in 10 years.. just like what happened to Epcot.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by 4Apples4Disney View Post
    I've always enjoyed the performers and the ambience, however it's basically a shopping experience that I can have at home. That part I have never understood. Why not use the space to more Disney themed projects? I can buy a pair of shoes, or makeup for the wife anywhere, so for me the overall experience is a letdown.
    What Disney projects could they put there that would make them more money then the (probably ridiculous) rent from the shops? Plus, they're almost certainly NNN (triple net) leases, so the tenants pay to keep the property maintained and probably for most of the related entertainment. If you maintain a high occupancy rate you can make a fortune in commercial real estate. Plus, it helps keep people on property and gives them some options for other things to do on site when you have a part day or something. Also, provides many more dining options for park guests.
    -Walt Disney

• Donald's #1 Fan

It may just be me, but ever since DTD opened I can't think of anything I've bought there, and I've eaten there once or twice... tops.

Maybe it's for locals, but I'd never waste my time on that mall, when DL is right next door!

• U. B. Bold

This may come as a shock to some, but not everything on a Disney property was built specifically for you. There are, believe it or not, different people out there with different needs. Case in point: On our last trip to Disneyland my wife forgot her shoes. No joke. We drive in from Arizona about once every two years and spend a lot of money to stay and play at the DLR. We were very happy to find a pair of comfortable shoes for her in DTD without having to leave the resort and take time away from our precious vacation. I'll bet that all kinds of out of town visitors forget all kinds of things and are happy to be able to pick them up on property (yes, and even pay more for them if it means they don't have to go searching around Anaheim for what they need). Not only that, but DTD provides a nice place for non-AP holding guests to hang out before or after going to the parks without using up their precious park-hopper days.
    Please visit my Big Thunder/Disney Inspired Model Railroad

Dream big. Do what you love.

DTD has potential...I just think it's poorly executed vs places like CityWalk or any of the Caruso properties. There really is no balance with who they are trying to cater too. I think Im just irked cause I'm not a big fan of the Patina Group's food offering.

Quote Originally Posted by BigThunder View Post
    This may come as a shock to some, but not everything on a Disney property was built specifically for you. There are, believe it or not, different people out there with different needs. Case in point: On our last trip to Disneyland my wife forgot her shoes. No joke. We drive in from Arizona about once every two years and spend a lot of money to stay and play at the DLR. We were very happy to find a pair of comfortable shoes for her in DTD without having to leave the resort and take time away from our precious vacation. I'll bet that all kinds of out of town visitors forget all kinds of things and are happy to be able to pick them up on property (yes, and even pay more for them if it means they don't have to go searching around Anaheim for what they need). Not only that, but DTD provides a nice place for non-AP holding guests to hang out before or after going to the parks without using up their precious park-hopper days.
    This may be true for some tourists, but I honestly don't see anything in DTD that would be able to fulfill an emergency need for me. I don't see how Lego's or a Build-A-Bear would suffice. When we go, we always go to DTD the night before the parks and absorb the atmosphere. The kids enjoy the Lego store and we all like the performers or activities, but aside from the World of Disney, I can't remember when we spent any money in any other location. Aren't tourists supposed to be the target audience for this space anyway? I honestly don't know the answer to that....
    "I do not like to repeat successes. I like to go on to other things." - Walt Disney

• Donald's #1 Fan

If they had DisneyQuest I'd probably like the place.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by 4th Gen Disney Fan View Post
    This may be true for some tourists, but I honestly don't see anything in DTD that would be able to fulfill an emergency need for me. I don't see how Lego's or a Build-A-Bear would suffice. When we go, we always go to DTD the night before the parks and absorb the atmosphere. The kids enjoy the Lego store and we all like the performers or activities, but aside from the World of Disney, I can't remember when we spent any money in any other location. Aren't tourists supposed to be the target audience for this space anyway? I honestly don't know the answer to that....
    I'm pretty sure when they did their feasibility studies and fiscal analysis they would have included a portion of all potential clientele including non-park visiting locals, park-visiting locals, AP's, and tourists. I'm also quite sure they get significant business from all of those groups.
    -Walt Disney

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by fjhuerta View Post
    If they had DisneyQuest I'd probably like the place.
    Really? I've never been, but it seems to get mostly negative reviews.
    -Walt Disney

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast