Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Re: Was Disney short sighted in their creation of Downtown Disney?

Quote Originally Posted by bigcatrik View Post
    I've never understood why they used so much space on it since space is at a premium at DLR. Maybe it's just a case of "I don't use it so it's dead to me" (like people are with Bug's Land). But it might have been better for DCA if they'd reserved more of that land for DCA expansion and built a smaller version of DTD on the west side of Disneyland Dr.
    DTD Disney really does not take as much land as it looks like. A large chunk of DTD is actually in the same footprint as the Gand California hotel. That was one part of the design that was actually well planned. Having the hotel above the shops worked out well because the first level butts right up against DCA which would have not been useable for hotel rooms.

another large stretch of the northern side of DTD is actually mostly landscaping since the tram loading area cradles most of the shopping district. This is where a redesign would work great, it's too bad that a better transportation system is not used to bring guests from the parking structure. Something that would eliminate the large turnabout for the trams. This large piece of property could very well be developed into a lush addition to downtown Disney.

Quote Originally Posted by BigThunder View Post
    This may come as a shock to some, but not everything on a Disney property was built specifically for you. There are, believe it or not, different people out there with different needs. Case in point: On our last trip to Disneyland my wife forgot her shoes. No joke. We drive in from Arizona about once every two years and spend a lot of money to stay and play at the DLR. We were very happy to find a pair of comfortable shoes for her in DTD without having to leave the resort and take time away from our precious vacation. I'll bet that all kinds of out of town visitors forget all kinds of things and are happy to be able to pick them up on property (yes, and even pay more for them if it means they don't have to go searching around Anaheim for what they need). Not only that, but DTD provides a nice place for non-AP holding guests to hang out before or after going to the parks without using up their precious park-hopper days.
    this is a great example of why an expansion south of AMC would benefit the resort area. paradise Pier would not only seem more part of the resort but it also provides better walking access to guests staying in hotels on Katella as well as the thousands of travelers that go to conventions their in Anaheim. The resorts shopping venue offers more ambience and better experience the the much further AGW which is slowly dying until the mall owners finally decide to get a couple major chains to build the hotels that have been talked about for years

• Selfie Expert

Quote Originally Posted by BigThunder View Post
    Case in point: On our last trip to Disneyland my wife forgot her shoes.
    I've had nightmares about going to Disneyland without my shoes!! That's hilarious!

I enjoy DTD when I need a break from the parks but don't want to walk back to my off site hotel, or when I want a drink (UVA Bar, or usually Trader Sam's which isn't DTD but I digress). I don't do a lot of shopping outside of World of Disney, but I will say I was grateful to be able to get the husband a belt (he forgot his at home) and some emergency (yes, emergency!) items from Sephora.

Thank you to Poisonedapples for my awesome signature!
    KellyMcG86's Disneyland To Do List

• Chief Troublemaker

I agree that it can supply emergency needs for tourists, especially those without cars. I haven't had that problem (knock wood) but I'd rather chew glass than go without my mascara!!

I'd bet that you could probably show up 'nekkid' & outfit yourself for a week there. The only thing they lack (& I'd like to see) is an (Aulani-themed) ABC Store like they have in Hawaii. I really LOVE the ABC Stores. Unfortunately, a DTD ABC would probably charge Disney prices!

I like the street musicians they have, too. You can 'dance your way home' back to the resort hotels. We're really looking forward to having a DTD day/evening on our upcoming trip.
    "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

• Done with MC.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormy View Post
    I agree that it can supply emergency needs for tourists, especially those without cars. I haven't had that problem (knock wood) but I'd rather chew glass than go without my mascara!!

I'd bet that you could probably show up 'nekkid' & outfit yourself for a week there. The only thing they lack (& I'd like to see) is an (Aulani-themed) ABC Store like they have in Hawaii. I really LOVE the ABC Stores. Unfortunately, a DTD ABC would probably charge Disney prices!

I like the street musicians they have, too. You can 'dance your way home' back to the resort hotels. We're really looking forward to having a DTD day/evening on our upcoming trip.
    We just discovered ABC stores in Hawaii a couple of weeks ago. They are fantastic, except for the prices - it would be hard to make them any higher!

• Chief Troublemaker

Quote Originally Posted by ScottG View Post
    We just discovered ABC stores in Hawaii a couple of weeks ago. They are fantastic, except for the prices - it would be hard to make them any higher!
    Wow, really? They must have jacked them up since I was there last (2003). Or maybe I was just buying different things. Used to be a great place to buy cheap souvenirs, shell necklaces, & trinkets. And cheap beach mats and towels (that we usually just left behind or gave away). And my favorite, that I've NEVER seen on the mainland, butter-candy coated Macadamia nuts. YUM! I've always thought that heaven would be a Dole whip with chopped butter-candy Macs.
    "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

• Former Churro Jockey

Quote Originally Posted by Stormy View Post
    Wow, really? They must have jacked them up since I was there last (2003). Or maybe I was just buying different things. Used to be a great place to buy cheap souvenirs, shell necklaces, & trinkets. And cheap beach mats and towels (that we usually just left behind or gave away). And my favorite, that I've NEVER seen on the mainland, butter-candy coated Macadamia nuts. YUM! I've always thought that heaven would be a Dole whip with chopped butter-candy Macs.
    No, they're not. I can't imagine what ScottG meant, but ABC stores are the cheapest thing ever. In fact, I work in the travel industry, and one hotel manager in Waikiki told me that no hotels in Waikiki have pre-stocked mini-bars wit $6 Snickers Bars and $15 mini bottles of Jack because no one would buy them, they would just walk next door to the ABC store instead
    Disneyland Cast Member
    Outdoor Vending
    1996 - 1999

My interview with MiceAge about working at Disneyland:
    http://micechat.com/blogs/mouth-of-t...ding-crew.html

My only problem with DTD is Sephora.

Quote Originally Posted by SpoonCM View Post
    DTD has potential...I just think it's poorly executed vs places like CityWalk or any of the Caruso properties. There really is no balance with who they are trying to cater too. I think Im just irked cause I'm not a big fan of the Patina Group's food offering.
    Agreed, and I'm glad you mentioned Caruso properties, as they have developed some of the finest "lifestyle centers" on the West Coast, including The Grove at Farmers Market which, according to press materials, yields a higher annual attendance than Disneyland Park! Disney should have collaborated with, or at least taken some inspiration from, Caruso.

In many ways I think Downtown Disney strikes a perfect note in it's atmosphere and size -for the park and average stay of most guests. If I recall the OP's question was whether or not a larger DD would help ease park crowds by drawing more guests. We always take a break from the parks and go eat and do a little shopping in DD. But since we never spend more than two days at the resort and want to get our money's worth we don't spend a lot of time there. If we spent 4-7 days at the resort it would be a different story.

Getting people out of the theme parks and into a shopping mall is going to be hard to do. But I guess from the management 's perspective it would make sense. As long as people are spending money. But you don't draw people by thinking up cleaver ways they can part with it. You're in the entertainment business. Entertain us and we'll come, and spend money.

They could to start by moving the nighttime event -Mad T party (actually bring back ElecTRONica!) and Innoventions -with the Sum of all Thrills to Downtown Disney, behind ESPN and Rain Forest Cafe. Move the Animation Academy there too and take out all the 3-D films from the parks and put them in the movie theater- where they could run different films at various times - It's Tough to Be a Bug!, Muppet Vision, Mickey's PhilharMagic, Captain EO, etc. Maybe even a copy of Sci-Fi Dine-In Theater, only with good food.

There you have it. A mini-theme park with no entrance fee. The attractions would be free for guests who already have purchased tickets to a park. Otherwise, it there would be a fee. Now you have more people in DD, out of the crowded parks, and just as likely to spend as much money, if not more than if they'd stayed in the parks.

I have been to Downtown Disney twice. The last time I went, I stopped there for a few hours to kill time before my hotel check in. I ate lunch, walked around, and bought a souvenir. This was the day before my Disneyland play days so it was a good way to get into "Disney" mode.

If they added DisneyQuest to Downtown Disney that would be AMAZING! I dunno how many people complaining about it have actually been, but that place is awesome! So many cool 3D virtual reality games, all for free (once you pay to get in of course)! Having Disney!Quest.. even a smaller 3 story version instead of the 5 story version, would be amazing and totally worth it, even if the only game they had there was the Pirates of the Caribbean game! That thing is the single coolest game I have ever played!
    Words any Disney fan and especially Disney employee should live by:

"Disneyland is a work of love. We didn't go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money."
    -Walt Disney

"Disneyland will never be completed. It will continue to grow as long as there is imagination left in the world."
    -Walt Disney

"I do not like to repeat successes, I like to go on to other things."
    -Walt Disney

"We did it, Disneyland, in the knowledge that most of the people I talked to thought it would be a financial disaster - closed and forgotten within the first year."
    -Walt Disney

"It's kind of fun to do the impossible."
    -Walt Disney

"I only hope that we don't lose sight of one thing - that it was all started by a mouse."
    -Walt Disney

Also, adding a Third gate by taking over DTD, the parking, and some of the tram area would definitely be enough space for a smaller park. Like others have said, and I have in other posts, Epcot in Florida is HUGE, way too big than it's needed. In fact every WDW park is like that, they wanted to make sure they could accomodate large crowds without having to implement very much crowd control, so every plaza and walkway in WDW parks are much bigger than they need to be, which actually is bad because that just means you have to walk farther between rides and throughout the whole park. Disneyland benefits from its limited size because they have jam packed so much stuff in a smaller space.. in fact, Disneyland actually has slightly MORE attractions than Magic Kingdom does (60 Attractions for DL and 44 for MK) but in a smaller footprint. So a third gate in the area I was talking about could absolutely work.

It would start off narrow, with an entrance like the same way Main Street is, and then it could open up.. the land could be kind of tree shaped in that sense, and that opened up are could either be filled with a few lands all next to each other and they could probably get just as many attractions in there as DCA. Or they could use that tree, or mushroom, shape to put a little lake in the middle and have lands around the lake, maybe with an island in the middle.. basically the same layout as TDS. It would be smaller than TDS is, of course, but all the parks at the DLR are smaller than most or all of their counterparts.

Also, the smaller area could also lend itself to a water park.. something that people have been wanting at DLR for years and which competitors like Knott's and Six Flags have that Disney doesn't. Especially with climate change and Springs, Summers, and Falls all becoming hotter year after year.. the need and desire for a large water park will continue to grow, and Disney could definitely benefit in the summer months from a water park that would definitely help alleviate crowds in DL and DCA in the summer as many guests would opt to spend a day or half a day at the water park first. With the slightly larger size than other Disney water parks, they could also make it much more of a water PARK, emphasis on the park. Just imagine a park like Disneyland or California Adventure, but with big water rides instead of coasters and dark rides... You could have a few themed dark rides with animatronics and everything that are those slow moving water raft rides. You could have a coaster type water ride, especially with the technology of things like the Aquaduck that can propel people back up an incline before going down again. Disney could revolutionize the industry and take a small fun cruise water slide and use the technology to make the world' first true water "coaster" if you will.. with animatronics and a full story to the ride where you go down and around and then are pushed back up again and then down once more.. they could do such cool things with it! And then still have "lands" with streets and buildings and vendors like in the other parks.

Now THAT would be a great Third Gate to fit on the current DTD property, while DTD moves to the area by Garden Walk.
    Words any Disney fan and especially Disney employee should live by:

"Disneyland is a work of love. We didn't go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money."
    -Walt Disney

"Disneyland will never be completed. It will continue to grow as long as there is imagination left in the world."
    -Walt Disney

"I do not like to repeat successes, I like to go on to other things."
    -Walt Disney

"We did it, Disneyland, in the knowledge that most of the people I talked to thought it would be a financial disaster - closed and forgotten within the first year."
    -Walt Disney

"It's kind of fun to do the impossible."
    -Walt Disney

"I only hope that we don't lose sight of one thing - that it was all started by a mouse."
    -Walt Disney

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234