Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Dreamfinder disciple

Any chance we can get Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom at Disneyland for the 60th?!?

Hi! I just got back from a trip to Orlando. Yes, lots of awesome! Yes, Minecar etc! But I have a specific topic for this thread - the awesome Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom card game. Man, that was fun! Is there any chance we can get it here in Disneyland? I've seen other threads concerned about space, but come on, there's space, right? Is there any chance we can get it for the 60th?!? It'd be an awesome addition to what they're already planning, and it seems like a relatively cheap attraction with a big ROI. What do y'all think?

Re: Any chance we can get Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom at Disneyland for the 60th?!

I saw people playing that at MK, seems like something that would be super fun! They could create a version for DL and a version for DCA or maybe one where you have to go to both DL and DCA to play the game!

The only thing I can think of why they won't do it is because of limited space. MK has a lot more room for people to walk around and find the little windows and plaques on the ground, so that could be the only reason why they wouldn't do it... having lots of people playing it and creating little crowded areas as people wait their turn, blocking the walkways.
    Words any Disney fan and especially Disney employee should live by:

"Disneyland is a work of love. We didn't go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money."
    -Walt Disney

"Disneyland will never be completed. It will continue to grow as long as there is imagination left in the world."
    -Walt Disney

"I do not like to repeat successes, I like to go on to other things."
    -Walt Disney

"We did it, Disneyland, in the knowledge that most of the people I talked to thought it would be a financial disaster - closed and forgotten within the first year."
    -Walt Disney

"It's kind of fun to do the impossible."
    -Walt Disney

"I only hope that we don't lose sight of one thing - that it was all started by a mouse."
    -Walt Disney

• Dreamfinder disciple

Re: Any chance we can get Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom at Disneyland for the 60th?!

Name:  photo-9.JPG
Views: 350
Size:  46.5 KB

• Dreamfinder disciple

It was too much fun!

I hear the space concerns, but I still think there is enough. I never had to wait in a line of more than one other party ahead of me. Maybe it's had longer lines in the past. But there has to be under used spaces in the nooks and crannies of Disneyland (and DCA, good idea!) where it could work too!

Great Walt quotes, btw!

I loved this game and I am still hoping they bring to to Disneyland but with some improvements. With how busy the park is these days, I could see lines forming at some of the sorcerer spots. I dealt with this when I was in Orlando a few times and it just ruined the fun of the game because by the time i got to participate, i knew the storyline and how to defeat the enemy.

If they do bring it to Disneyland, I really hope they tweak it and streamline it.
    "Fairy tales, then, are not responsible for producing in children fear, or any of the shapes of fear; fairy tales do not give the child the idea of the evil or the ugly; that is in the child already, because it is in the world already. Fairy tales do not give the child his first idea of bogey. What fairy tales give the child is his first clear idea of the possible defeat of bogey."
    -
    G.K. Chesterton

Can someone on here who has played it, explain the game to us? It sounds so interesting, but I don't know what it is, so I'm having a hard time conceptualizing it.

I would love to know more about it.

Quote Originally Posted by mlggator View Post
    Can someone on here who has played it, explain the game to us? It sounds so interesting, but I don't know what it is, so I'm having a hard time conceptualizing it.

I would love to know more about it.
    The best way I can describe it is sort of a cross between Magic: the Gathering, a scavenger hunt and a traditional JRPG (Final Fantasy, Chrono Trigger, etc.) where the Magic Kingdom itself is the world in which a player must discover treasure, fight enemies, and ultimately 'save the kingdom' from various villains.

The game play goes like this:

1.) There is a starting point for all players, indicated in the park map.

2.) Players proceed to the starting point, where a cast member explains the core game mechanics to each player. The cast member hands each player a special map, indicating where each play spot is (roughly) located around the Magic Kingdom. The Cast member also gives each player a pack of 10 starting cards. The cards are contain pictures of various Disney characters (Mowgli, Monstro, Jiminy, Simba, etc.)

3.) Each card is used to "summon" the help of the cards character when facing off against the various villains in the game. Each card has different values including attack rating, defense rating, and power type (water, magic, fire, nature, etc.) Supposedly, these different power types are suppose to have some effect on the game but I didn't notice any major change in gameplay when I played through it.

4.) After receiving a map and cards, players are introduced to the game through an intro/test run where Merlin informs the player of the basic plot and rules.

5.) Players must find certain 'magic portals' (cleverly disguised interactive large screen t.v.'s) at which point they can hold up their kingdom key (card with a key on it) to activate the portal.

6.) Each portal will present the player with a minor mission (scavenger hunt) or a battle.

7.) Battles are determined by a player picking a card and holding it up to the 'portal'. There is a camera which reads the card and then produces the correct animation.

8.) After defeating a villain, players are directed to another portal where they fight another villain.

9.) After defeating every villain and 'saving the magic kingdom', players are rewarded with another pack of cards and can restart the game. Apparently there are various levels of difficulty but I never had time to go through all the difficulty levels.

Here's a video of the game being played:

WDW Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom--Cruella Battle on Main Street - YouTube
    "Fairy tales, then, are not responsible for producing in children fear, or any of the shapes of fear; fairy tales do not give the child the idea of the evil or the ugly; that is in the child already, because it is in the world already. Fairy tales do not give the child his first idea of bogey. What fairy tales give the child is his first clear idea of the possible defeat of bogey."
    -
    G.K. Chesterton

• Minion

I could see this being very popular in a locals-oriented place such as Disneyland, but I would be very concerned about the lack of space for it.

i haven't been to WDW since this game was introduced, and maybe it's just me, but I couldn't see myself wasting precious vacation time playing a game like this when I could be doing other things, unless I was there for quite an extended period and was starting to get bored.

• Closed Account

Dear God PLEASE NO. We don't need Walt's park sullied by random video screens outdoors ruining the themes and mood of the lands. Video screens in NoS?? I THINK NOT!

• Dreamfinder disciple

They aren't video screens! They're magic portals! :P
    And they're very well hidden when not in use.

• Dreamfinder disciple

Let's start a Twitter hash tag and get their attention!
    #Sorcerersfor60th

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck-D View Post
    They aren't video screens! They're magic portals! :P
    And they're very well hidden when not in use.
    This is true. Disney does a great job of hiding the screens when not in use.
    -
    G.K. Chesterton

• Minion

I just have to say no on this one. Areas like Adventureland and New Orleans Square simply do not have the room for people to be lining up in from of one Portal and creating a roadblock. As well I'm really skeptical about the whole screen thing, I've seen photos of Sorcerer's and I still think the screens are still distracting.

If they are going to install an interactive game, I'd like to see them go more along the lines of Pirates Adventure: Curse of the Seven Seas where there are actual props instead of screens for guests to interact with. Heck, Tom Sawyer's Island is for the most part forgotten and the pirates theme is already out there, would be a great place for the game and would help draw more guests out there.
    "Hello folks, welcome aboard the Disneyland Railroad..."
    "The Gods have been angered by all the celebratin'..."

• Under that tree again!

Quote Originally Posted by Diznygrl View Post
    I could see this being very popular in a locals-oriented place such as Disneyland, but I would be very concerned about the lack of space for it.

I agree.

I think it would be very popular as we have lots of APs that would try something new. The main issue with space would be that it would be so popular that it would form new lines in places that didn't have them before.
    Be Cool Stay in School!
    Next year I'm trying for a summer internship at Stark Industries.

• Dreamfinder disciple

I'm sure that a large part of my almost only positive experience with it is that we never had to wait in lines longer than 1 group ahead of us. (I say 'almost only positive' because there was one portal in the Tortuga fireplace that didn't work, but the cast member redirected us relatively quickly.) If I had to wait in lines any longer I'm sure I wouldn't think so highly of it. As a pass holder out here (DLR) I'd be willing to wait out new lines and complete quests next time. I'm sure there were longer lines out there in the MK when this was all new.

I also understand that the widely accepted meme is that they don't want to seem to encourage low spending freebie AP culture, and this game seems to encourage that. You can't really advance much in the game on one vacation. Which surprises me a little that it was put in WDW first, as opposed to out here with all the APs. But I understand that we wouldn't want long, awkward, unnecessary cues full of local APs willing to wait longer than something is actually worth clogging up already congested areas of the park.

Still, I want it out here and want to keep playing it! And am relatively convinced that there are a nook or cranny or two in each land where it could work with out creating traffic problems or ugly lines. Or disrespecting surrounding aesthetics!

I'll remain hopeful

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast