Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345

Re: Celebrities at DLR?

Quote Originally Posted by Hillchat View Post
    Fair enough. I just don't get the excitement of seeing a celebrity at Disneyland and trying to get an autograph or photo, especially while you're at Disneyland. Even if I saw my favorite stars there (which they wouldn't go to play in the park unless they were filming something important since they're actually legends with 40+ years in show business), I wouldn't go ambush them. I don't care if the ride wait is an extra 2 minutes or an hour. Their presence is too much of a distraction. I feel sorry for the children of celebrities who didn't ask for their parents to be famous.
    I might be misunderstanding you, but are you saying that their presence is so distracting that they shouldn't go?

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlet Spanky View Post
    Agree. They get paid well for being celebrities, and they in turn pay a price ...
    It is rare that fame is forced on them - with no compensation.

(On the other hand, I guess I just don't completely understand how nutsy people can get over various "celebs" anyway. )
    I don't necessarily disagree. In fact, I've essentially used that same line about getting paid handsomely (though that's not always true).

But part of what their celebrity gets them is going through the exits so they don't have to wait in line and requesting to be bookended by empty ride vehicles if necessary.

Funny. No one cares that they skip the line entirely, but request a buffer when on the ride and everyone thinks they're acting "entitled". As if all the crazy stalkers aren't really the ones truly acting entitled.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by loungefly97 View Post
    But part of what their celebrity gets them is going through the exits so they don't have to wait in line and requesting to be bookended by empty ride vehicles if necessary.

Funny. No one cares that they skip the line entirely, but request a buffer when on the ride and everyone thinks they're acting "entitled". As if all the crazy stalkers aren't really the ones truly acting entitled.
    If they are a Disney celeb, Disney offered them 1-2 tours a year as part of their contract. If they are not a Disney celeb, they pay for the tour. You can purchase the same tour. The only thing Disney will do is if they go with a bodyguard, they will offer a second guide to replace the bodyguard as they prefer not bodyguards.

"Stalkers" can get really nutso. I've seen people flood stars as they try to eat in the park (if they have a guide, they can get security to help block them off.) I do feel bad for them. They should be able to spend time at a theme park with their kids without having to keep dodging wanting autographs and pics. It is very easy to say "They should just stop and give a pic", but when that happens every 30-45 seconds of your theme park visit, it is taking time from your kids, you can't focus on them, and it would be very irritating.
    If you see a cute yellow lab puppy with a yellow cape, WAVE! It might be us! (Or it may be someone else that lurks here!) Thank you for asking before you pet! Next trip, Dec 22-Jan 3rd.

• Chief Troublemaker

Quote Originally Posted by loungefly97 View Post

Skipping the line means that us 'plebs' wait while a party of maybe 4-8 goes ahead. Bookending that means an additional (insert vehicle capacity here x 2) empty seats plus that same party go ahead. Not that big a deal on Alice or HM, but frustrating on Splash or Space with the large capacity vehicles. I'd say the better PR (for both Disney & the 'star') would be to pop a CM in the ride vehicles before & after to monitor behavior.
    "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

• ...and the Flowers Croon

Quote Originally Posted by Stormy View Post
    I'd say the better PR (for both Disney & the 'star') would be to pop a CM in the ride vehicles before & after to monitor behavior.
    And THAT'S the job I'll apply for, when they create it...

• Disney's #1 Fan

I spotted Adam Sandler and his family at Disneyland last year! It was fun to see him, and he was an extremely nice guy. We saw him in both DCA and DLR that day multiple times! Some of my friends got to talk to him while they were eating lunch, he was at the table right near theirs!

Quote Originally Posted by Malcon10t View Post
    If they are a Disney celeb, Disney offered them 1-2 tours a year as part of their contract. If they are not a Disney celeb, they pay for the tour. You can purchase the same tour. The only thing Disney will do is if they go with a bodyguard, they will offer a second guide to replace the bodyguard as they prefer not bodyguards.

"Stalkers" can get really nutso. I've seen people flood stars as they try to eat in the park (if they have a guide, they can get security to help block them off.) I do feel bad for them. They should be able to spend time at a theme park with their kids without having to keep dodging wanting autographs and pics. It is very easy to say "They should just stop and give a pic", but when that happens every 30-45 seconds of your theme park visit, it is taking time from your kids, you can't focus on them, and it would be very irritating.
    Yeah, I looked into the pricing and have heard Adam Carolla on his podcast talk about doing it. He said he talked to them about not wanting to be seen cutting the line and they assured him this wouldn't happen and they would go in the "backdoor"--smash cut to going in the exit where all kinds of people can see you.

What I meant in context in response to celebrities getting paid handsomely to deal with being bothered is that their celebrity--and the high compensation that comes with it, often times--puts them in a position to pay for that service. I obviously wasn't clear, but you are correct and it should be noted that those tours are NOT cheap. It's something like $350 an hour, six hour minimum, and I am assuming that does not include tickets. So a family of four, at minimum (with park hoppers), is looking at $2700 at the absolute minimum. If you eat and stay longer than six hours, it just goes up from there.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormy View Post
    Skipping the line means that us 'plebs' wait while a party of maybe 4-8 goes ahead. Bookending that means an additional (insert vehicle capacity here x 2) empty seats plus that same party go ahead. Not that big a deal on Alice or HM, but frustrating on Splash or Space with the large capacity vehicles. I'd say the better PR (for both Disney & the 'star') would be to pop a CM in the ride vehicles before & after to monitor behavior.
    If I have to wait an extra few minutes because someone with a lot more money than me who paid Disney a lot more than I did wants a little more privacy because people can't keep themselves from bothering that person and their family, so be it. How often is this really a problem, anyway? I've seen my share of celebrities there, and I have never felt my wait was significantly longer.

Rides breaking down while in line has been a larger problem for me and the only response to that is "stuff happens." Conversely, I think most people understand the concept of other people paying more and therefore getting more.

SOOOOOO many times, Harrison Ford and Calista Flockhart(Always wanted to take them on the Jungle Cruise and when going by Indy have him wave at everyone and yell "GET OFF MY RIDE!"), Johnny Depp(without a Plaid, just roaming around a few days before the Pirates Premeire) Adam Sandler, Travis Barker, Josh Gates, Weird Al(I'm convinced I am Skipper Dan), Tony Hawk, Seal and Heidi Klum(Usually always wearing face paint), Holly(Hugh Heffners Ex), Jorge Garcia, Guy Fieri, John Lasseter, Mark Hoppus, Tom Delonge, Britney Spears, Kardassians, Andy Garcia, Kevin Costner, Julie Andrews(I was there when they dedicated her horse on the Carousel and shook her hand), Steven Weber, Dave Foley, Ryan Seacrest, Tim Burton and Helena Bonham Carter, a lot of others, but those are the ones that really stood out when I read this post. When you've worked there for over +5 years you tend to forget everyone you've seen....

Heidi Klum seems to be there a lot. Either that or we've just got similar schedules. I think I've walked by her in the park on 3 or 4 separate occasions, and I'm not there weekly or anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Malcon10t View Post

I'm not saying they aren't allowed to go or should be banned from going. I just think that they can't expect special treatment. However, it has been brought up that the public should leave them alone and not tarnish the celeb's enjoyment and cause a bigger scene. That's definitely a valid point. So how about the famous blend in and not get attention while the rest of us just chill out and focus on our trip. I'm not interested in scoping out a celebrity (I don't care how famous they are) at Disneyland or anywhere else for that matter. I'm at Disneyland to have fun.

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Hillchat View Post
    I'm not saying they aren't allowed to go or should be banned from going. I just think that they can't expect special treatment. However, it has been brought up that the public should leave them alone and not tarnish the celeb's enjoyment and cause a bigger scene. That's definitely a valid point. So how about the famous blend in and not get attention while the rest of us just chill out and focus on our trip. I'm not interested in scoping out a celebrity (I don't care how famous they are) at Disneyland or anywhere else for that matter. I'm at Disneyland to have fun.
    I think that the problem is that even when celebs TRY to blend in, a lot of the time people spot them anyway and make a scene. Having a plaid on hand or some sort of special security prevents that from happening.

Stalkers and overly enthusiastic fans can and do pop up everywhere. I have a friend who is on a soap opera - not the star, but a supporting character. so she makes a good living but she's certainly not rich. She's told me that even sometimes when all she is doing is trying to go grocery shopping, she's actually been followed around the supermarket by "fans" who are angry with something her character did on the show. She certainly doesn't make enough money to afford security of any sort, so these sorts of encounters are really uncomfortable and unsafe for her.

Point being, sometimes I think that actors/performers/others in the public eye end up hiring the plaids because they're trying to be proactive and prevent any negative encounters at the park. They've had enough incidents in the "real world" that they worry that something similar could happen at Disneyland.
    Merida looks like this. Not a Barbie doll!

• Grim Grinning

The only celeb I've ever seen in the parks was Emile Hirsch back in the day. I'm there so often I'm surprised I haven't seen anyone else. I don't count the celebs I saw a few years ago when I was there for the taping of the Christmas Parade for whatever reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Malina View Post
    I think that the problem is that even when celebs TRY to blend in, a lot of the time people spot them anyway and make a scene. Having a plaid on hand or some sort of special security prevents that from happening.

Stalkers and overly enthusiastic fans can and do pop up everywhere. I have a friend who is on a soap opera - not the star, but a supporting character. so she makes a good living but she's certainly not rich. She's told me that even sometimes when all she is doing is trying to go grocery shopping, she's actually been followed around the supermarket by "fans" who are angry with something her character did on the show. She certainly doesn't make enough money to afford security of any sort, so these sorts of encounters are really uncomfortable and unsafe for her.

Point being, sometimes I think that actors/performers/others in the public eye end up hiring the plaids because they're trying to be proactive and prevent any negative encounters at the park. They've had enough incidents in the "real world" that they worry that something similar could happen at Disneyland.
    I have a friend who just ended a run in a major show on the strip in Vegas. He said even there they have "stalkers" who show up and follow them around. It's unnerving, he says, and they're not even famous people.

Once, as a little kid (I don't remember), my mom was sitting down waiting and she looked over and thought the guy in a hat and glasses looked a bit familiar. When she looked at his forearms, she knew--it was Robin Williams. As soon as he saw that there was someone looking at him with that I-know-you look on their face, he got up and left. He just wanted to be incognito for a day. Understandable.

Bottom line is that they pay extra for the hope that their day goes smoothly. I am sure they are prepared for a certain amount of, "Hey, I loved you in _____," but need that buffer in order to get through the day as smoothly as possible. If, in paying that extra amount, they get a buffer on certain rides, so be it.

i could see wanting a buffer on a quiet ride. I imagine hes been on it before and the people in the car behind him kept yelling at him "HEY ADAM! HEEEEYY ADAM!" or taking pictures the whole time. Think of how annoying that would be? A lot of Disney visitors are not from the LA area and have never seen a celebrity so they might get crazy.

I almost bumped into Martin Short and Catherine O'Hara walking out of the GCH. They were with a Plaid, I think they were there for the Frankenweeine premiere. We just said "Oh excuse me" then realized who they were after we walked by. Kind of funny.

I've told the story on another thread of the time my friend (who resembles Fergie) was just standing in line when a creepy foreigner slowly inched her way closer to my friend then took a selfie with her. It was bizarre and off-putting. While we laughed about it, it was still creepy. I can't imagine what real celebrities have to deal with every day. I mean, yeah, they make a ton of money and maybe don't work as hard as many people around the world but the stalker aspect of it is not something that sounds desirable in any way.
    I don't like the idea of a celebrity holding up and entire line of people so they could have a ride all to themselves but I get the need for some privacy. Espeically for thier children. Those kids didn't ask to be in the public eye.

• Under that tree again!

Be Cool Stay in School!
    Next year I'm trying for a summer internship at Stark Industries.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345