Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
Results 76 to 90 of 92
  1. #76

    •   
    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    2,875

    Re: Maleficent (Spoilers inside)

    Yes...fairy tales get changed every time they come to stage, screen or the written word. Sleeping Beauty is no different. In some of the old versions of the written story - which was spun several ways - the Sleeping Beauty is raped, for instance; I don't think anyone minds the fact that they've changed that.

    And the ballet of Sleeping Beauty is different from the 1950s film, which is different than some other gazillion film versions, which are different from Maleficent. It is just one more interpretation, and I think it's up to the viewer to decide which one they like.

    Oddly enough, confirming that Maleficent is a fairy brings it back to the original French story, which indeed has a fairy, who is disgruntled about being overlooked and not invited to the party, who curses the baby.
    Merida looks like this. Not a Barbie doll!

  2. #77

    • Senior Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    4,784

    Re: Maleficent (Spoilers inside)

    I don't see it so much as "here's the REAL story" so much as a different take on things, since everybody has their own point of view. Which can look very different. I think things would look very different indeed from her perspective than from the Princess, which is what we usually see. And nobody asks what it looks like from the "villain's" point of view when we're in the princess' head.
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

  3. #78

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    251

    Re: Maleficent (Spoilers inside)

    Quote Originally Posted by second blue teacup View Post
    How was it? They've been promoting the absolute hell out of it, and that usually means that it's an absolutely rotten dog turd of a movie...
    heh heh... I've been joking that I hope it is not the current fare of what ever the current issues are.... dressed up with really cool special effects to distract from a thin or inconsistent plot (willing to bet)
    I read a People Mag review (highly gush factor usually) and the reviewer found plenty of flaws, but said it was still worth seeing


    I thought the flaws in LOTR were embarrassing, so, I wait to decide if I want to spend the time

  4. #79

    • I am number 4 of 999
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    California
    Posts
    1,132

    Re: Maleficent (Spoilers inside)

    I thought everything was going along pretty well, until the kiss. That part woke ME up and got me realizing that the movie was GARBAGE. Sorry 'bout it. Angelina Jolie was incredible as the character! That wasn't the problem. They should have weaved the story with the animated movie and kept her a villain.
    It's actually "Cars Land", not "Carsland".

  5. #80

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    61

    Re: Maleficent (Spoilers inside)

    Maleficient clearly represents the devil. I have no pity for the devil losing his/her wings and it bothered me greatly that Disney would release a CHILDREN'S movie where the devil becomes idolized and wins the battle between good and evil.

    Half way through the movie my six year old son turned to me and said, "Daddy, I don't like this movie, it's scary." I replied, "Son, Maleficient is the devil, that's why it's scary." He looked at me with wide eyes, nodded his head in agreement and said, "I don't like this movie and I don't like the devil."

    Later in the movie when it was trying to get us to feel pity for the devil I told my son, " Son, no matter how sad they want us to feel for Maleficent just remember, SHE'S THE DEVIL and we do not feel bad for the devil." He agreed.

    I've talked to several people that have seen the movie and ALL of them were confused by the movie and felt awkward about it. When I pointed out that Maleficient represents the devil, Stefan represents Jesus, Aurora represents humanity and the young prince represents Man they became shocked that the story ended the way it did, with the devil winning and Jesus dying. In fact, Aurora's statement at the end if the movie even tells us that the "story" we've been told is false and this version is true. What a crock of bull-you-know-what!

    How can Maleficient not be the devil? There are subtle clues if you care to look.

    1) She created a shape shifting bird named "Diaval" which translates to "devil".

    2) She summons a dragon which throughout history has always represented the devil.

    3) She lost her wings. sarcasm/ The POOR fallen angel. /sarcasm

    4) She constantly uses the term "beastie" throughout the movie. The same term that The Book of Revelations coined and Aleister Crowley popularized.

    5) She has horns like Moloch, Baal and Baphomet. Three false idols that represent Satan.

    6) At the end of the movie, after the devil got his wings back, it shows him soaring up into the heavens with the setting/rising sun in the background. An allegory for the light bringer, a.k.a, Lucifer.

    The above are just a few clues in the movie that support my hypothesis. What bothers me most about this movie is the fact that the media is trying to get me to feel sad for the devil because he lost his wings which they characterized as rape. YOU HAVE GOT TO BE FREAKING KIDDING ME! Young Steffen should have ended the devil's life and never looked back.
    Last edited by MaloCS; 06-11-2014 at 09:49 AM.

  6. #81

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Tempe
    Posts
    259

    Re: Maleficent (Spoilers inside)

    Quote Originally Posted by MaloCS View Post
    Maleficient clearly represents the devil. I have no pity for the devil losing his/her wings and it bothered me greatly that Disney would release a CHILDREN'S movie where the devil becomes idolized and wins the battle between good and evil.

    Half way through the movie my six year old son turned to me and said, "Daddy, I don't like this movie, it's scary." I replied, "Son, Maleficient is the devil, that's why it's scary." He looked at me with wide eyes, nodded his head in agreement and said, "I don't like this movie and I don't like the devil."

    Later in the movie when it was trying to get us to feel pity for the devil I told my son, " Son, no matter how sad they want us to feel for Maleficent just remember, SHE'S THE DEVIL and we do not feel bad for the devil." He agreed.

    I've talked to several people that have seen the movie and ALL of them were confused by the movie and felt awkward about it. When I pointed out that Maleficient represents the devil, Stefan represents Jesus, Aurora represents humanity and the young prince represents Man they became shocked that the story ended the way it did, with the devil winning and Jesus dying. In fact, Aurora's statement at the end if the movie even tells us that the "story" we've been told is false and this version is true. What a crock of bull-you-know-what!

    How can Maleficient not be the devil? There are subtle clues if you care to look.

    1) She created a shape shifting bird named "Diaval" which translates to "devil".

    2) She summons a dragon which throughout history has always represented the devil.

    3) She lost her wings. sarcasm/ The POOR fallen angel. /sarcasm

    4) She constantly uses the term "beastie" throughout the movie. The same term that The Book of Revelations coined and Aleister Crowley popularized.

    5) She has horns like Moloch, Baal and Baphomet. Three false idols that represent Satan.

    6) At the end of the movie, after the devil got his wings back, it shows him soaring up into the heavens with the setting/rising sun in the background. An allegory for the light bringer, a.k.a, Lucifer.

    The above are just a few clues in the movie that support my hypothesis. What bothers me most about this movie is the fact that the media is trying to get me to feel sad for the devil because he lost his wings which they characterized as rape. YOU HAVE GOT TO BE FREAKING KIDDING ME! Young Steffen should have ended the devil's life and never looked back.
    there are no eye rolls big enough.
    Madge, obsessive Disney freak!
    How everyone sounds singing "Let It Go"

  7. #82

    • Evil is Sexy
    • Online

    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Chula Vista, California, United States
    Posts
    979

    Re: Maleficent (Spoilers inside)

    Quote Originally Posted by second blue teacup View Post
    there are no eye rolls big enough.

    Yeah. *blinks a few times*
    Peter Pan: "You know, your hair is on fire."
    Me: "Yes. It happened after a recent trip to Neverland."
    Peter Pan: "Well, you can dunk your head in the pond behind us, if you want."

    Lost Child of
    Neverland since 1996.
    ~Favorite Hero: Peter Pan. Favorite Villian:Malificent.Favorite Ride: The Haunted Mansion.~

  8. #83

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    797

    Re: Maleficent (Spoilers inside)

    Quote Originally Posted by MaloCS View Post
    Maleficient clearly represents the devil. I have no pity for the devil losing his/her wings and it bothered me greatly that Disney would release a CHILDREN'S movie where the devil becomes idolized and wins the battle between good and evil.

    Half way through the movie my six year old son turned to me and said, "Daddy, I don't like this movie, it's scary." I replied, "Son, Maleficient is the devil, that's why it's scary." He looked at me with wide eyes, nodded his head in agreement and said, "I don't like this movie and I don't like the devil."

    Later in the movie when it was trying to get us to feel pity for the devil I told my son, " Son, no matter how sad they want us to feel for Maleficent just remember, SHE'S THE DEVIL and we do not feel bad for the devil." He agreed.

    I've talked to several people that have seen the movie and ALL of them were confused by the movie and felt awkward about it. When I pointed out that Maleficient represents the devil, Stefan represents Jesus, Aurora represents humanity and the young prince represents Man they became shocked that the story ended the way it did, with the devil winning and Jesus dying. In fact, Aurora's statement at the end if the movie even tells us that the "story" we've been told is false and this version is true. What a crock of bull-you-know-what!

    How can Maleficient not be the devil? There are subtle clues if you care to look.

    1) She created a shape shifting bird named "Diaval" which translates to "devil".

    2) She summons a dragon which throughout history has always represented the devil.

    3) She lost her wings. sarcasm/ The POOR fallen angel. /sarcasm

    4) She constantly uses the term "beastie" throughout the movie. The same term that The Book of Revelations coined and Aleister Crowley popularized.

    5) She has horns like Moloch, Baal and Baphomet. Three false idols that represent Satan.

    6) At the end of the movie, after the devil got his wings back, it shows him soaring up into the heavens with the setting/rising sun in the background. An allegory for the light bringer, a.k.a, Lucifer.

    The above are just a few clues in the movie that support my hypothesis. What bothers me most about this movie is the fact that the media is trying to get me to feel sad for the devil because he lost his wings which they characterized as rape. YOU HAVE GOT TO BE FREAKING KIDDING ME! Young Steffen should have ended the devil's life and never looked back.
    We all bring our own perspectives to all experiences. Our personal beliefs and backgrounds greatly influence our interpretations of everything.
    I found your post to be an interesting reminder of this. Thank you for sharing your view of the world with us.

  9. #84

    •   
    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    2,875

    Re: Maleficent (Spoilers inside)

    Quote Originally Posted by Scarlet Spanky View Post
    We all bring our own perspectives to all experiences. Our personal beliefs and backgrounds greatly influence our interpretations of everything.
    I found your post to be an interesting reminder of this. Thank you for sharing your view of the world with us.
    I love your objective and level headed take on this, S2. And I agree 100% with you.
    Merida looks like this. Not a Barbie doll!

  10. #85

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Morva in the Land of Prydain
    Posts
    4,378

    Re: Maleficent (Spoilers inside)

    ORDDU: MaloCS isn't the first duckling who has made comparison's between the story of Sleeping Beauty and the Book of Revelation in the Bible. If you're not familiar with the Book of Revelation, you won't be in a position to appreciate the point of view that MaloCS is bringing forth. But it does make sense.

    ORWEN: Of course a lot of people don't make comparisons between fairy tales and Bible stories and just can't relate to those who do. But that doesn't mean there isn't a valid point to be made the way MalcoCS has done.

    ORGOCH: Got more comparison's?

  11. #86

    • Iron-Clad Allie
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    39,417

    Re: Maleficent (Spoilers inside)

    Quote Originally Posted by Witches of Morva View Post
    ORDDU: MaloCS isn't the first duckling who has made comparison's between the story of Sleeping Beauty and the Book of Revelation in the Bible. If you're not familiar with the Book of Revelation, you won't be in a position to appreciate the point of view that MaloCS is bringing forth. But it does make sense.

    ORWEN: Of course a lot of people don't make comparisons between fairy tales and Bible stories and just can't relate to those who do. But that doesn't mean there isn't a valid point to be made the way MalcoCS has done.

    ORGOCH: Got more comparison's?
    I tripple agree with you sisters. A modern fairy tale where the case for villainous antagonist should be looked upon as a heroic protagonist is also an effort to not appreciate simple good or simple bad....and only see meaningless, confusing gray. Another let down of the film was the traditionally upbeat and uplifting Disney song sung during the closing credits was sung by a rather coarse and unhappy (if not evil) sounding voice.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!


  12. #87

    • Senior Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    4,784

    Re: Maleficent (Spoilers inside)

    Huh. I liked the song in the credits.
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

  13. #88

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    797

    Re: Maleficent (Spoilers inside)

    Quote Originally Posted by alphabassetgrrl View Post
    Huh. I liked the song in the credits.
    I did too - and I really liked the movie.

    To each his/her own.

  14. #89

    • MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles & Orange County
    Posts
    21,346

    Re: Maleficent (Spoilers inside)

    I just watched it this evening. The preview at DCA made me NOT want to see it. While they didn't allude to the story in that sneak peak, I disliked it because of King Stefan. He looked cowardly and weak.

    ...and of course, that's the turn in this new telling.

    Lemme preface my thoughts by saying, I think it's a terrible film. Regardless of what Sleeping Beauty is, I would not have liked this movie anyway. Too much of Maleficent relies on our familiarity with the characters and therefore, the characters themselves aren't fully developed within the film.

    Stefan and Maleficent fall in love, but we're told that they do. We never actually see a natural connection, but a forced one. Is it bad acting or bad direction? It doesn't matter. It doesn't really work. And if it WAS love, would Stefan be compelled to do what he does to Maleficent later? I'd like to think that if he does, there should be more at stake and more heartbreak. His going mad later in the film should be of regret, love, confusion... not just a simple "she's coming for me".

    I understand the rape and mutilation aspect of this story. But the problem is that everything Maleficent does afterwards is just a knee-jerk reaction. She's never her fully realized STRONG female character self that we deserve to see on screen. She spends her time in the movie watching her own movie from a far. Pulling pranks on the fairies, saving Aurora's life, etc, etc... but always from 10 feet away. It's incredibly dull. Perhaps this is an analogy to real life rape victims and they need to overcome it somehow, but it's a fairy tale and I don't think the proper place to tell THAT story.

    Maybe the biggest story crime of all though are the three fairies who are so incompetent that you ask yourself how Stefan would EVER trust them to take care of his only daughter. It's also a little odd that the fairies and Maleficent are friendly in the beginning of the film. Once they hear what Stefan did to Maleficent, wouldn't they be on her side completely?

    It's baffling though. A fairy that he once loved put a curse on his daughter. And then he gives it to three other fairies... with whom he DOESN'T REALLY KNOW. Why didn't we get that back story?

    Odder still is that nobody else in the kingdom really knows who Maleficent is aside from Stefan. Her barging into the kingdom is a bigger what-to-do than it should be. Nobody else knows who she is! the queen should be "WHO THE HELL ARE YOU?!" rather than "you aren't offended?"


    This film... is dreadful. Princess Aurora is born out of what appears to be an unhappy marriage. She's care for by three awful fairies. And she befriends a Godmother who put a death curse on her.

    There is so much wrong with this movie. And it's even more wrong when you start to make comparisons to Sleeping Beauty. Maleficent WAS pure evil. It was AWESOME. The curse on Aurora is unexplained but it didn't need to be. She was pure evil! It was obvious that there was some past history between her and King Stefan but it definitely wasn't cutting her wings off.

    Worse yet.... they take away her turn into the dragon! It's given to her sidekick?! Ugh. So many ughs.


    For those who like this film, that's fine. Please don't take my criticism of the film personally. I shake my head at it furiously though. It's awful.


    Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

    Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

  15. #90

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Morva in the Land of Prydain
    Posts
    4,378

    Re: Maleficent (Spoilers inside)

    ORDDU: My sisters and I just don't take the Maleficent movie all that seriously. To us it's a farce. It's like a spoof on the classic story of Sleeping Beauty--which we hold dear to our hearts. Nothing that has come out since can even begin to touch the original animated film.

    ORWEN: Yeah, Maleficent isn't fooling us in her attempts to discredit poor King Stefan. Still, we enjoyed the new movie for what it was.

    ORGOCH: Heck! Sure was better than spendin' a day down in the ol' horny King's danged dungeons where he just tortures folks ta death!!!

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 72
    Last Post: 06-09-2012, 11:55 AM
  2. [Pictures] First pictures from inside Radiator Springs Racers!!! Warning: Major Spoilers!!!
    By WildForMrToad in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 70
    Last Post: 06-08-2012, 07:42 PM
  3. VMK Hidden Mickeys (Spoilers inside)
    By SummerInFL in forum The Tech Lounge
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-06-2006, 01:39 PM
  4. First look INSIDE The Land
    By General Grizz in forum Walt Disney World Resort
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-27-2005, 10:30 AM
  5. Plastic tarps and leaks inside Pirates of the Caribbean
    By mamabot in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 03-10-2005, 01:33 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •