Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

• Tiki Dancer

Re: How do they know when your child is too old?

Quote Originally Posted by Malcon10t View Post
    They simply ask "Ticket" and when you reply "NO, they are 2" they just let you through. I am sure if the child looked older they might get a little pushier. But, I have seen a few times people slipping an older child in. One kid looked at least 6. Gate person asked for his ticket, dad replied "He's free", gate person said "He looks older than 2", dad said "No he's not", gate person asks him how old he is, dad says "Don't say anything"... Needless to say, you have to wonder what the child is learning...

Then there was the family at Storytellers... They were in front of us. Hostess asks dad, "How many adults and how many 9 and under". Dad replies 3 adults and 1 child. Son pipes up with "DAD, I'M 10!!" Teen daughter (14/15 range) looks very embarrassed, and tells her dad "If we can't afford this without lying, let's just back up to the room!!" Dad - "Oh, I forgot he turned 10."
    You beat me to it.

If you can afford to go to Disneyland and take ALL of your kids, don't try and sneak in the youngest kid just to save money.

Set a good example, parents!

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Quote Originally Posted by Malcon10t View Post
    Then there was the family at Storytellers... They were in front of us. Hostess asks dad, "How many adults and how many 9 and under". Dad replies 3 adults and 1 child. Son pipes up with "DAD, I'M 10!!" Teen daughter (14/15 range) looks very embarrassed, and tells her dad "If we can't afford this without lying, let's just back up to the room!!" Dad - "Oh, I forgot he turned 10."

Hope the dad learned his lesson there. When kids reach a certain age (usually in the 10-12 range) they don't want to be treated like kids anymore. They want to eat off the adult menu, not the "baby menu".

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by jsmith11618 View Post
    If they do anything like we did at the airline I was at, it was all based on the look and behavior of the child. If the child appeared to be over 2, we would question the parents and ask for verification of age. Many times asking the kid their age works as well.

I am sure they just use common sense, and ask if the kids appears to be older then 3, no idea if they will ask for proof of age though.
    Kinds of makes me wonder why they don't do like some other parks that don't even make distinctions based on age, they simply do it based on height. Above a certain number of inches you pay X, below and you pay Y... and if they wanted to cut parents a break below another they pay nothing. No need to make it complicated with age.

• UnExiled Minion

They scan the chip in their necks.

What? You didn't know about that? I've said too much!!
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

Quote Originally Posted by Mackster View Post
    Kinds of makes me wonder why they don't do like some other parks that don't even make distinctions based on age, they simply do it based on height. Above a certain number of inches you pay X, below and you pay Y... and if they wanted to cut parents a break below another they pay nothing. No need to make it complicated with age.
    This wouldn't be fool-proof either. Some kids are SUPER tall. We have two friends (a husband and wife) who both are very, very tall. Their three year old daughter is taller than every single kid in her preschool class. And I mean, she is significantly taller! When she opens her mouth you can definitely tell she's young but she looks like a six year old.

I'm on the same page as everyone else. If you can afford to make the trip to the parks then just pay the admission. If you can't afford it, then save up for another year. Simple.
    I still feel that they charge WAY too much for the children's admission, especially considering the kids cost more in the parks than adults because they want snacks and souvenirs. But, even so, if you can't afford it then just save up until you can.

I'd actually prefer a height system instead of age. Under 40'' eliminates a guest from a bunch of expensive E-tickets so they should get in free. Plus, most of the excess capacity in both parks is in the form of the under 40'' attractions. The other upside is frequently when I check Fastpasses I'll get a child without a ticket and therefore without a Fastpass. Allowing everyone over 40'' to have a Fastpass helps me move guests into the Fastpass queue a little quicker and reduce walkway blockage at Racers, Soarin', Indy, Space Mountain, etc. Also, making every guest pay for Racers, Soarin', Splash Mountain, and Space Mountain will help keep their stand-by waits manageable.

Quote Originally Posted by nerdycm View Post
    I'd actually prefer a height system instead of age. Under 40'' eliminates a guest from a bunch of expensive E-tickets so they should get in free. Plus, most of the excess capacity in both parks is in the form of the under 40'' attractions. The other upside is frequently when I check Fastpasses I'll get a child without a ticket and therefore without a Fastpass. Allowing everyone over 40'' to have a Fastpass helps me move guests into the Fastpass queue a little quicker and reduce walkway blockage at Racers, Soarin', Indy, Space Mountain, etc. Also, making every guest pay for Racers, Soarin', Splash Mountain, and Space Mountain will help keep their stand-by waits manageable.
    This really would be ideal, wouldn't it. It would make SO much more sense.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Amanda949 View Post
    This wouldn't be fool-proof either. Some kids are SUPER tall. We have two friends (a husband and wife) who both are very, very tall. Their three year old daughter is taller than every single kid in her preschool class. And I mean, she is significantly taller! When she opens her mouth you can definitely tell she's young but she looks like a six year old.
    Not sure what the problem would be with a height based system... the fact that their younger kids are taller simply means they could enjoy some of the rides that their average for their age classmates couldn't.

• Meh

I don't have children but plenty of my friends do in the 2, 3, year old range and the cast memebrs will ask "how old is he/she?" when they reply 2 or 3 the CM just waves them through.
    Grim, I lost her once; I'm not gonna lose her again.

Quote Originally Posted by Hillchat View Post
    Maybe Disney should require birth certificates. Then people wouldn't try and scam their way into the park.
    Since the entire country doesn't require documentation for anything else I think it would be difficult for Disney to enforce that on their own.

I worried a bit about this when I brought my son for the first time. He was 2 years, 9 months, but pretty tall for his age and filled his stroller pretty well.

Yet, they just waved us in without a question.
    "I know this is probably your first flight, and it's...mine too!"

Quote Originally Posted by joshteevee View Post
    I worried a bit about this when I brought my son for the first time. He was 2 years, 9 months, but pretty tall for his age and filled his stroller pretty well.

Yet, they just waved us in without a question.
    My oldest son was 8.5 lbs when he was born and was 5 weeks premature. When he was still in his terrible twos he looked like he was 3 years old so we just paid for admission rather than look like we were trying to pull one over on them. But on the upside he was riding on roller coasters long before kids his age were. Now he is 6'5" and people groan when he sits in front of them on Star Tours and other rides.

Quote Originally Posted by Mackster View Post
    Not sure what the problem would be with a height based system... the fact that their younger kids are taller simply means they could enjoy some of the rides that their average for their age classmates couldn't.
    Because you'd be paying more for a child who maybe wasn't quite ready mentally or emotionally for those larger rides. Just because a 3 year old looks like a six year old doesn't mean they can handle Star Tours or California Screamin'. So if pricing was based on height then why should those parents have to pay more for things their child isn't ready for?

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Amanda949 View Post
    Because you'd be paying more for a child who maybe wasn't quite ready mentally or emotionally for those larger rides. Just because a 3 year old looks like a six year old doesn't mean they can handle Star Tours or California Screamin'. So if pricing was based on height then why should those parents have to pay more for things their child isn't ready for?
    Of course the answer to this is to go back to the old tickets for each ride system. Which I wouldn't have a problem with at all... I do of course wonder what that would do to their AP system.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast