Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

How do they know when your child is too old?

So me and my wife took our daughter to the park thursday for her pre-birthday celebration at goofys kitchen, then to the park after to finally see World of Color.

After we had paid for our breakfast and they went to call us back to be seated the CM stopped us and said we had only paid for the adults and not my daughter (she will be 3 on Monday) and we explained to him that her birthday wasn't for a few days and he changed our seating arrangement to fit all of our party.

My question is, how do the cast members know when to question or assume the age or that your child is above the 3 year limit of entry?

• #bringevilback

Re: How do they know when your child is too old?

Typically, at the front gate, they don't ask.

If they do anything like we did at the airline I was at, it was all based on the look and behavior of the child. If the child appeared to be over 2, we would question the parents and ask for verification of age. Many times asking the kid their age works as well.

I am sure they just use common sense, and ask if the kids appears to be older then 3, no idea if they will ask for proof of age though.

• Nerd

They usually don't ask. If you say they are 3 and they are even 4 or more, they won't question you but it depends on the CM. They tend to want to believe the guest. (front ticket booths anyway)
    Hidden Mickey - Tower of Terror

Hidden Mickey's here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/whatzup...7623565921220/
    Check out my Wal't Apartment tour here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/whatzup/sets/72157625183415995/

One thing I've seen happen is: rather than asking the parent or child how old the child is, they ask the child their birthday. Most, although certainly not all, children older than 3 know their birthdate well enough that when asked, answer by rote (ie wouldn't be clever enough to lie, and if they'd been coached to lie still might instinctively not. Kinda of like how it's often easy to catch someone lying about their name, because it's so ingrained.) Not a foolproof method, of course, but a decent approach.

• Singing Drinker

You kinda learn to judge to the best of your abilities. In my limited experience back working KBF, the first priority was guest relations in those cases - you treated the kid how he looked, if the parent raised a fuss you capitulated. Oddly, the only times someone really got in a dander over it to the point security/management got involved to pacify them were also the ones where they were trying to pass a kid WAY out of the required range.
    Credibility is to be sought for. Credulity is not. Sadly the latter is our normal human state.

• Minion

I've been asked for a ticket when my granddaughter was 2. BUT, she was also 41" tall, and looks like a 4 year old. (She was 10 days shy of 3.) They asked her her age, and she told them she was 6.

Here she is with her first ticket 12 days after her 3rd birthday!

She is now 3 years 4 months and 43".
    If you see a cute yellow lab puppy with a yellow cape, WAVE! It might be us! (Or it may be someone else that lurks here!) Thank you for asking before you pet! Next trip, Dec 22-Jan 3rd.

• Indiana Scott

My brother tried to sneak his over age daughter into the park years ago. He had jammed her into a small stroller in an effort to hide her (obvious) age. They didn't fall for it and stopped him at the gate. He wasn't able to prove anything so I think he ended up buying another ticket.
    I can only think of the life lesson he taught her.

•   
    • Minion

I know we're had people posting here before who have mentioned, as Malcom did above, that their children who ARE legitimately under 3 have been stopped because they looked a little older. I think I remember someone say that they carried the kid's birth certificate with them so they could prove their child really wasn't 3 yet.
    Merida looks like this. Not a Barbie doll!

Maybe Disney should require birth certificates. Then people wouldn't try and scam their way into the park.

• Greetings, Program!

Quote Originally Posted by Hillchat View Post
    Maybe Disney should require birth certificates. Then people wouldn't try and scam their way into the park.
    That would go over smoooooth as glass.
    "The old man's gonna knock on the sky. Listen to the sound."

AP'er since 2004. Yup.....I'm one of THEM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ortizmo2000 View Post
    That would go over smoooooth as glass.
    Okay, but if parents want to prove that their kid is still under the admission price age, they can bring the birth certificate. I get that some kids look a lot older or younger than they really are, but you have to just go with life's "challenges."

• Greetings, Program!

Awesome.

"Welcome to the Disney Resort. I see you have a child. Your birth certificate please."
    "The old man's gonna knock on the sky. Listen to the sound."

AP'er since 2004. Yup.....I'm one of THEM.

I'd rather pay the difference than argue with someone over the age of my child or risk losing a birth certificate. There are worse things in the world than how old my child appears versus actuality.
    "I do not like to repeat successes. I like to go on to other things." - Walt Disney

• Minion

They simply ask "Ticket" and when you reply "NO, they are 2" they just let you through. I am sure if the child looked older they might get a little pushier. But, I have seen a few times people slipping an older child in. One kid looked at least 6. Gate person asked for his ticket, dad replied "He's free", gate person said "He looks older than 2", dad said "No he's not", gate person asks him how old he is, dad says "Don't say anything"... Needless to say, you have to wonder what the child is learning...

Then there was the family at Storytellers... They were in front of us. Hostess asks dad, "How many adults and how many 9 and under". Dad replies 3 adults and 1 child. Son pipes up with "DAD, I'M 10!!" Teen daughter (14/15 range) looks very embarrassed, and tells her dad "If we can't afford this without lying, let's just back up to the room!!" Dad - "Oh, I forgot he turned 10."
    If you see a cute yellow lab puppy with a yellow cape, WAVE! It might be us! (Or it may be someone else that lurks here!) Thank you for asking before you pet! Next trip, Dec 22-Jan 3rd.

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast