Page 1 of 13 123411 ... LastLast

• Minion

Monstropolis may be still on the way after all...

From one of the sources on WDW Magic

Quote Originally Posted by WDW1974, post: 6128596, member: 54925
    From the top:

To see Knott's embrace its past in a real way (no, ripping out the Calico Mine Train and then having fan merchandise events selling pins and tees and cells of it) is heartening to see. When I lived out there, I'd visit every so often, feel like there was nothing there for me and leave it for a few years when I'd repeat. Now, I look forward to visiting and the place is improving all the time. Oh, and a seasonal pass good for the rest of the year was only $84 (think that ended last week).

I know plenty of people from O-Town who liked Colglazier personally. He seemed very good at selling the whole idea of the Disney MAGIC. But he was awful at keeping his park in show condition as we know. DL has some issues now that they, frankly, didn't have before MC took charge.

I don't know that Mary Niven is so amazing, but she is very good at disguising just how tough she is. I think people find her unassuming and she has used that to survive from Cynthia Harriss's reign of destruction until today. She has also fought for projects to better DCA and gotten money that wasn't allocated. The fact Monstropolis is moving ahead has lots to do with her perseverance.
    Last edited by imaginashton; 06-01-2014 at 06:27 PM.

• Special Agent

Re: Monstropolis may be still on the way after all...

Quote Originally Posted by imaginashton View Post
    From one of the source on WDW Magic
    I have two things to say about this:

First off, you'd have to be pretty delusional to think that a company, at this level, decides how to allocate funding based on which managers they like and which one's they don't. There are literally mountains of spreadsheets and data backing up all these decisions. There are completely global initiatives and five and ten year master plans to consider. Someone at DLR doesn't just walk into an office, put on a show, and walk out with a billion dollar project.

Secondly, all that being said, it actually makes much more sense for them to keep adding value to the existing parks than move on to a third park. I actually would expect not just a renovation of Hollywood land in DCA, but also the Star Wars makeover for Tomorrowland. Those are both areas that are underutilized at the moment.

The curtailing of the AP program is a good indication that Disney wants to keep adding value to the current parks and reduce the number of discounted admissions. That is the smartest way to continue to grow their revenue without the financial risk of another park.

• Hello

If true, I have come to dread this. The last thing that DCA needs is more Pixar. It is already starting to feel forced to me. Can't imagine how it'll feel once Monstropolis opens. Let alone how it doesn't fit in with the rest of Hollywoodland/Buena Vista Stree.
    Last edited by Peoplemover Priit; 06-01-2014 at 06:47 PM.

• Minion

I don't mind Pixar as long as it fits...and Monster's Inc, as an entire land, does not fit. If they somehow made a semi original ride with the characters from monsters inc that ties it into the golden age theme then that's totally fine.

I think Marvelizing that area would produce much stronger returns for the same money.
    "Disneyland is a work of love. We didn't go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money." - ​Walt Disney

Monstropolis doesn't fit with the Hollywood theme, although they should create it at one Disney park.

Quote Originally Posted by Peoplemover Priit View Post
    If true, I have come to dread this. The last thing that DCA needs is more Pixar. It is already starting to feel forced to me. Can't imagine how it'll feel once Monstropolis opens. Let alone how it doesn't fit in with the rest of Hollywoodland/Buena Vista Stree.
    You literally posted everything I was going to say, I completely agree
    "Hello folks, welcome aboard the Disneyland Railroad..."
    "The Gods have been angered by all the celebratin'..."

Way better than what's currently there, Mad T Party and that snooze fest knows as Muppet Vision. Why do Muppets fit in more with Hollywood anyway? Not saying it's the best the imagineers could do but I wouldn't mind having a monsters inc E Ticket in that sleepy corner of the park.

Quote Originally Posted by Peoplemover Priit View Post
    I'm the opposite. I love Pixar and would be ecstatic to see that sleepy corner be redone.

Quote Originally Posted by mickEblu View Post
    Way better than what's currently there, Mad T Party and that snooze fest knows as Muppet Vision. Why do Muppets fit in more with Hollywood anyway? Not saying it's the best the imagineers could do but I wouldn't mind having a monsters inc E Ticket in that sleepy corner of the park.
    The Muppets fit in perfectly in Hollywoodland. They are performers who put on a stage show. Their studios are located in LA. Doesn't get much more "Hollywood" than that! I do think the show is a little stale, though. I think it would be sweet if they downsized the theater and either made it an actual puppet show or an animatronic show. Personally I've grown tired of 3D, especially when I can go see a 3D movie at my local theater.

Mad T Party definitely needs to go though. I just hope its not for Monstropolis.

Bring Monstropolis to DCA!

Not as part of Hollywood Land, since it obviously doesn't fit, but as it's own land.

Remove Mad T Party because it's expendable, remove the Who Wants to be a Millionaire building since it's not being used as part of the park, remove Muppet Vision 3D because it's often empty and not particularly good (although I do loves me some Muppets), and then there's already a Monsters Inc dark ride in that area. That is a lot of space, plenty to make a new land.

Then Hollywood Land will still have an E-Ticket anchor with the Twilight Zone Tower of Terror, the Aladdin stage show, Disney Junior Live on Stage, the Animation Academy, Turtle Talk with Crush, and the Red Car Trolley. That's as full of attractions as every land in the entire Disneyland Resort except Fantasy Land and Tomorrowland.

An E-Ticket in that corner of the park is exactly what DCA needs, and in a new land that would be unlike anything else would make it even better. Yes please on a new E-Ticket and a wonderfully bizarre new environment that kids would LOVE.

Disneyland did this exact same thing already. They removed part of Frontierland to create New Orleans Square, and that worked out beautifully.

And why not more Pixar? I find it strange that some people say "no more Pixar in DCA" as though Pixar is some licensed property that Disney is overusing. Pixar IS Disney. It's as Disney as Peter Pan, Cinderella, Pinocchio, Alice in Wonderland, Snow White, etc.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Disney Adventure View Post
    And why not more Pixar? I find it strange that some people say "no more Pixar in DCA" as though Pixar is some licensed property that Disney is overusing. Pixar IS Disney. It's as Disney as Peter Pan, Cinderella, Pinocchio, Alice in Wonderland, Snow White, etc.
    Why not Pixar? Good question. Far as I can tell, Disney theme park fans don't like Pixar because it's too popular. Pixar Studios pumps out numerous megahits in the grand tradition of Walt Disney family storytelling, without a single flop in the bunch. And free consumers in a free market like Pixar and they like it a lot, and it sells movie tickets and toys and DVD's and bunk bed sheet sets by the billions from Syracuse to Sydney to Shanghai.

All that commercial success really turns Disney theme park fans off.

What Disney theme park fans want in their parks is rehashes of the old Walt Disney classics that already have dark rides, or they want some custom big-budget E Ticket made by Tony Baxter in his secret lair in Anaheim Hills with elaborate backstories that 99.97% of the riders will NEVER pick up on or care about. And if you can work into the attraction an obscure reference to something once sketched out by Rolly Crump on the back of a cocktail napkin after his third Scotch on the opening night of the 1964 New York World's Fair, then that would be a big bonus and those fans promise not to complain about next year's $15 price increase for SoCal Select Annual Passports.

But a cool new ride based on a hit Pixar film with global commercial and artistic success? No way.

And that, Westsider, is the post of the year.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Westsider View Post
    Why not Pixar? Good question. Far as I can tell, Disney theme park fans don't like Pixar because it's too popular. Pixar Studios pumps out numerous megahits in the grand tradition of Walt Disney family storytelling, without a single flop in the bunch. And free consumers in a free market like Pixar and they like it a lot, and it sells movie tickets and toys and DVD's and bunk bed sheet sets by the billions from Syracuse to Sydney to Shanghai.

What Disney theme park fans want in their parks is rehashes of the old Walt Disney classics that already have dark rides, or they want some custom big-budget E Ticket made by Tony Baxter in his secret lair in Anaheim Hills with elaborate backstories that 99.97% of the riders will NEVER pick up on or care about. And if you can work into the attraction an obscure reference to something once sketched out by Rolly Crump on the back of a cocktail napkin after his third Scotch on the opening night of the 1964 New York World's Fair, then that would be a big bonus and those fans promise not to complain about next year's $15 price increase for SoCal Select Annual Passports.

But a cool new ride based on a hit Pixar film with global commercial and artistic success? No way.
    To me I group Pixar as one 'type' of film or characters in the same way that the Princesses exist. If every new attraction at DCA was a Princess one people would be complaining too. There needs to be a healthy mix of original attractions, Pixar, Princesses, classics etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Westsider View Post

I don't necessarily agree with everything you said but still I found this way funnier than I should have.
    In the quest for quality, I have no problem with the characters footing the bill.

Page 1 of 13 123411 ... LastLast