Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

• Chief Troublemaker

Re: Greater New Orleans Themed Haunted Mansion?

Could be a good idea for a classic-style dark ride in NOS. 'Tiana's Scary Adventure'? No s/ intended, it really could be cool if done right.
    "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

• Minion

It blends in with NOS well enough already, for the facade is based on a plantation house in the South.

Great Ideas. I personally love them but they don't warrant changing any of the current mansions. I could see something like this happening in the future at a new Magic Kingdom park. Of all the classic Disney rides, HM is the one that is always getting a new approach with every iteration of it. Every version of the Mansion varies (sometimes significantly) from the others with the exception of the WDW and Tokyo DL Mansions (though with WDW's new effects it is still very different). It seems sort of like a Imagineer Tradition to see how each team can redo the Haunted Mansion every time a new park is developed:

Disneyland HM: The classic. Minor changes since opening day. The only one to have the Hatbox Ghost. Classic antebellum plantation facade. Located in NOS

WDW HM: Extended scenes throughout the ride. No walk-through portrait gallery or loading area. Stairwell from another dimension. Fantastic new hitch-hiking ghost effects. Dutch Gothic Facade. Located in Liberty Square.

Tokyo DL HM: Very similar to WDW's HM. Same Facade and scenes, no updated effects. Located in Fantasyland

Disneyland Paris: Phantom Manor. First HM with an actually apparent storyline. Set in American west. Victorian Facade. Different Music. Different ending scenes. The Phantom replaces the hitchhiking ghosts at the end. Located in Frontierland (aka-Thunder Mesa)

Hong Kong Disneyland: Mystic Manor. No overt "haunted" element at all. Mystic Manor is more "inspired by" the HM rather than another iteration of it. Loose storyline, LPS System, Cutting edge animatronics and effects. Victorian Queen Anne facade. Located in Mystic Point.

Shanghai Disneyland: ??? I don't have any info though last I heard there were no plans to include a HM or HM-style ride at Shanghai DL.

I think you're idea is pretty solid, OP, but it's inclusion would fit better in a new park rather than replacing any classic HM with these elements. On top of that, the historical characters were rather brutal, grim, and very dark. It doesn't really fit in with the Davis/Coates dichotomy of a balance between scary and funny. Familiarity with the historical characters would obviously enhance the ride experience but unless there was some way to present riders with a brief historical bio of each character, the vast majority of riders will have no clue who Madame Laveau, Delphine LaLaurie, etc. were.

On another note, an avid HM fan did a mock-up of a HM inspired attraction (Link below) complete with working sets and effects. The results are really quite spectacular and even really unsettling. I would love to see a HM that focuses a little more on atmosphere and tension building. Obviously, I'd love to see some of Marc Davis's humor come out but charging forward, Disney may want to consider a more adult/scary version of any future HM's considering the craze of Halloween events and focus on more "jump scares" that many parks seem to go for these days.

https://www.facebook.com/notes/daark...70797219629628
    "Fairy tales, then, are not responsible for producing in children fear, or any of the shapes of fear; fairy tales do not give the child the idea of the evil or the ugly; that is in the child already, because it is in the world already. Fairy tales do not give the child his first idea of bogey. What fairy tales give the child is his first clear idea of the possible defeat of bogey."
    -
    G.K. Chesterton

• Former Churro Jockey

I could be dreaming this, but I thought I remembered Walt talking about the facade being the way it was because that was the kind of house you would expect to see along the river, and he wanted it to look appropriate from both within New Orleans Square as well as from those who see it from one of the various boats along the Rivers of America.
    Disneyland Cast Member
    Outdoor Vending
    1996 - 1999

My interview with MiceAge about working at Disneyland:
    http://micechat.com/blogs/mouth-of-t...ding-crew.html

• Parking Lot > DCA

Quote Originally Posted by Big D View Post
    I could be dreaming this, but I thought I remembered Walt talking about the facade being the way it was because that was the kind of house you would expect to see along the river, and he wanted it to look appropriate from both within New Orleans Square as well as from those who see it from one of the various boats along the Rivers of America.
    You're not dreaming. The house exterior was intended to look like a (approachable) turn of the century Southern plantation home, with French Quarter styling wrought iron. Meant to look fitting and appropriate from all angles.

Here is a fun quote from Walt regarding the Mansion:

"We'll take care of the outside, and the ghosts will take care of the inside"

I wouldn't mind if they do some additional upgrades to the HM. But they need to keep the basic elements. It's my second favorite ride, after PotC! Though I had to grin at the argument about jazz and voodoo not being historically accurate. First, it's a theme park attraction and second it's full of 999 happy haunts so it’s quite conceivable that some of those ghosts could have been jazz players and voodoo practioneers in their corruptible, mortal states.

Having said that, I really would not want to introduce a voodoo theme into the mansion nor change it’s setting. I think there’s something appropriate about it being somewhat vague. On the other hand, and now I’m going to contradict myself, a few more references to New Orleans/The South would not be so bad. Even the Ghost Host could have a Southern/ New Orleans accent. But I love Paul Frees’ voice. So maybe they could have different ghosts serve as the host? And since my pet peeve is people repeating the narration, each host could have a slightly different script. That might shut them up.

The people who say change nothing might not be aware that Disneyland has already made a number of small changes to the mansion over the years. I still think it could use another serious rehab to keep it fresh. But again the basics needs to be left alone.

I would like them to make the exterior a little more decrepit and the grounds a little over-grown. I think W.D. was wrong about this one. He should have listened with his Imagineers and gone with their original concept because it would set the mood much better. After all, a house filled with so many ghosts is not likely to be that well kept. It wouldn't have to be over the top. Frankly, it looks like a 1960's Southern Californian's idea of a southern mansion. Even an authentic, well-kept plantation house in the South looks creepier than the HM.

They need to do some upgrades similar to WDW and TDR- and maybe even add some of the special effects developed for the Mystic Manor. We need the new sound system which encircles the gallery so that that Ghost Host's voice darts and floats around the room. Also the whispering and giggling gargoyle statues. More digitally animated portraits. I’d also have the people portrayed randomly change in order to make it more interesting.

They should that add the multi-dimensional staircase maze scene too. Maybe also a few more elements from Rolly Crump's designs for the Museum of the Weird? While they are at it create the setting planned for the loading area, that combines elements of the mansion's exterior and interior. And they need to bring the "Hatbox Ghost" back - if the effect won‘t work in the attic, then somewhere else. Finally, if there’s room they should add a gift shop at the end and Hungry Ghost Cafe. I would totally buy some HM-themed items.
    Last edited by Eddie Davidson; 06-02-2014 at 03:37 PM.

•   
    • Minion

Your ideas are well though out and great sounding. As for me the HM in DL is the perfect attraction. It is also my favorite one. I like the Holiday overlay but it pains me at the same time that is takes away the original HM for 3 months. I honestly hope they never change the HM except for minor edits here and there. I would like to see them add the hat box ghost in the attic over the bride that i there though.

• Haunted Mansion Fan

I think history is on our side, after so many years, you couldn't possibly make any major changes without getting the public upset. That's a good thing.... you don't want to hear any phrases like "this ain't your Grandma's Haunted Mansion" do you?

The original is a classic, it fits well in NOS in my opinion. I've never questioned the contents of any of the rooms. The items seemed to belong.
    Do not pull down on the safety bar please; I will lower it for you.
    Member of the Haunted Mansion wiki.

• Heavy Breather

The theme is "a retirement home for ghosts ALL over the world". It just so happens that the mansion is located in New Orleans, especially since NO is ripe with paranormal activity. Why wouldn't a spook, specter, or ghost want to retire to one of the most haunted places on the planet?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12