Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Nic

Greater New Orleans Themed Haunted Mansion?

Why not reconfigure Haunted Mansion into a more New Orleans Haunted Mansion?

The ride is by no means outdated, but when you think about it, how does it belong in New Orleans Square? Yes, the facade is a Southern antebellum mansion, but would you know by looking inside that it belongs in New Orleans Square? All of it is simply a broad theme of haunted-ness. Hundreds of parks around the world have haunted mansions, so what makes this one different besides a few leaps and bounds in technology?

• Keep the facade, keep the layout, but change the theme to better represent New Orleans.

• Add a swamp with an animatronic alligator near the graveyard, a la the front of Rainforest Cafe.

• Enter into the elevator, and be greeted by the voice of Papa Legba, a crossroads god found in Louisianan and Haitian Voodoo cultures. Since Papa Legba is the gatekeeper of 'the other side', he'd warn you of what lies ahead with a brand-new monologue.

• Enter into the hallway, furnished with portraits of infamous New Orleans citizens (Axeman of New Orleans, Delphine LaLaurie, Jean Lafitte).

• Instead of having Madame Leota in the crystal ball, have Marie Lauveau, the queen of Voodoo -- add jazz instruments into her spell as well, rather than the regular instruments (Goblins and ghoulies yearning to moan / Awaken the spirits with your brass trombone).

• In the ballroom, have a jazz band playing, and enhanced and multiplied animatronics dancing. Make it one of the famous parties New Orleans is known for ... just with the dead.

• Have the attic transformed into a room of Voodoo -- pots steaming and potions boiling as you pass by it, spells being recited, etc. In place of the bride, have a very fluid animatronic ghost chef be making gumbo with some interesting ingredients.

• Finally, for the graveyard scene, jazz up the final number, and have the spirit of Papa Legba follow you home.

This probably won't be a well-liked post as I'm messing with arguably the most beloved attraction at the park, but I truly believe it'd be best for Haunted Mansion and the plussing of theme in New Orleans Square.
    Fear of the unknown.

They are afraid of new ideas.

They are loaded with prejudices, not based upon any reality, but based on… if something is new, I reject it immediately because it’s frightening to me. What they do instead is just stay with the familiar.
    You know, to me, the most beautiful things in all the universe, are the most mysterious.

• Under that tree again!

Re: Greater New Orleans Themed Haunted Mansion?

Quote Originally Posted by Chesire View Post
    All of it is simply a broad theme of haunted-ness. Hundreds of parks around the world have haunted mansions, so what makes this one different besides a few leaps and bounds in technology?
    1. 98 of those other haunted mansions exist due to hoping to capture what Disney's Haunted Mansion has created.

2. As you leave New Orleans, plantation houses abound. New Orleans Square is where Pirates and the French Market are, it ends with the train station and the HM is on the outskirts. Splash is in the wilderness beyond.
    Be Cool Stay in School!
    Next year I'm trying for a summer internship at Stark Industries.

• Resident of The Mansion

Look it's a great idea, and frankly I love it, BUT, I am attached and love The Haunted Mansion as it is. I almost wish that we could have two rides in the same building and you could pick your version of the ride.

• Parking Lot > DCA

I respect your ideas, but the purist in me is screaming.

This is a cliche answer, but I think the Haunted Mansion is just fine the way that it is. There isn't really anything inside the ride that pulls you out of the New Orleans Square theme, at least not enough to make you wonder why it is placed there - so why tamper with it? The facade and interior of the house set the tone, while the inside carries the story.

I think the current Haunted Mansion fits just fine.

Yeah I love this idea. If you had given me the choice of which one to build I'd probably of gone with this one. But I don't think I could make the changes now that we have what we have. And man would there be riots in the streets if they went messing with it!

Great ideas though.

• Minion

A fun read, but personally I don't think it needs much changing. Wouldn't mind that swamp idea though to be honest.

BTW, were you inspired by AHS? Just asking since you included historical figures featured in the show

• formerly very helpful

I hate to sound like everyone else, but if it isn't broken, don't fix it. Your ideas are great, but there's no reason to tamper with something that is so beloved, and works so well.

• Nic

Quote Originally Posted by imaginashton View Post
    A fun read, but personally I don't think it needs much changing. Wouldn't mind that swamp idea though to be honest.

BTW, were you inspired by AHS? Just asking since you included historical figures featured in the show
    Yes! I wrote most of this a while back in the middle of watching the season, and coincidentally finished it tonight ... after seeing your signature in one of the posts.
    Fear of the unknown.

They are afraid of new ideas.

They are loaded with prejudices, not based upon any reality, but based on… if something is new, I reject it immediately because it’s frightening to me. What they do instead is just stay with the familiar.
    You know, to me, the most beautiful things in all the universe, are the most mysterious.

• Parking Lot > DCA

I stand by my original stance, but I do actually really like the idea of the bayou. It just sounds a little too much like the last season of American Horror Story to me.

•   
    • Minion

The current Haunted Mansion, inside and out, is pretty accurate for the Garden District - not all of New Orleans looks like the French Quarter. If you match up the furniture, etc. to historic photos or period restorations of either French Quarter or Garden District houses, like the Gallier House, it's a pretty dead-on match (pardon the pun). The curtains and furniture match these from the Herman-Grinna House, for instance:

Name:  HGparlor.jpg
Views: 367
Size:  112.0 KB

Voodoo is a pretty serious devotion and religious belief for some around the New Orleans area, and many still practice it, so I'd personally feel very uncomfortable appropriating voodoo personalities or incantations for a Haunted Mansion. There's a nod to voodoo on one of the balconies in New Orleans Square, and that's where it should end IMHO.
    Merida looks like this. Not a Barbie doll!

Yeeeeaaaaaahhhh, no.

The Haunted Mansion is a perfect attraction. Pirates of the Caribbean is a perfect attraction. They're New Orleans Square's only two attractions yet neither of them are slavish to a New Orleans theme, nor should they be. I'd be for changing the name of the land before altering the crown jewels of Disneyland to be more "New Orleans" like.

Would you change "Pirates of the Caribbean" to "Creoles of the Bayou" to make it fit with New Orleans Square more accurately?

•   
    • Minion

Plus, New Orleans is a very diverse place. Voodoo is practiced by a small percentage; not everyone. Most people in New Orleans don't live anywhere near a bayou. The setup of the French Market near the water is actually pretty close to what you'd actually find in New Orleans, where the Cafe du Monde is close to the Mississippi River.

What's in the Haunted Mansion is probably what you'd actually have found in an upper-class New Orleans home, and the way the seance is staged with Madame Leota is a good and accurate callback to the way spiritualists would have staged them in New Orleans and elsewhere in that era. Plus, there's actually a jazz band in the cemetery...
    Merida looks like this. Not a Barbie doll!

• Minion

While I quite like your ideas I don't think the Haunted Mansion needs changing at all and knowing Disney if they did this they'd stick Dr Facilier from the Princess and the Frog all over the place.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Couldn't have New Orleans style jazz playing in the ballroom. HM's storyline takes place prior to the Civil War and New Orleans style jazz, or jazz that one would recognize as New Orleans style didn't fully develop until maybe the 1880s or 1890s. In addition, considering the societal norms of the south during that time period, the white establishment would have never played jazz music in their homes as it was associated with the lower class. If anything they would have contra danced to a live chamber orchestra (or in the case if HM an organ) at that time.

While the ball room and cemetery scenes do play "Grim Grinning Ghosts"'which was written in the 1960s, I do give this a pass. It definitely does not sound like something coming from the antebellum era but it does set a gloomy a macabre tone which adds to the overall "aura of forbidding" which permeates the tone of the attraction.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast