Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Disneyland Dreamer

OK... T-minus 2.5 days till my first solo trip... how to do the park alone

So I've been in SD all day enjoying the sub-112* weather. I'll be driving up to Anaheim Thursday afternoon (should have figured out how to take the train... there's always next trip). Outside of my reservation for Friday afternoon for Walk in Walt's footsteps, I've got carte blanche to do what I wish.

Being that this is an experience I've never really got to experience before as I've always been with the wife and kids, what should I absolutely do besides closing down the park after midnight? I've got the P&S and my DSLR, so a picture-filled trip report will be in the works. I'm looking forward to enjoying single rider on as much as I can.. Is there a definitive list of rides which offer SR? I know I've done Screamin' as single rider, and Matterhorn/RSR offers it, but I don't know what if anything else does.

I plan on doing Trader Sam's at some point on Thursday as well, and all I really HAVE to do is get my AP activated Thursday. I'll definitely go into the park(s), but nothing really planned, just finding my own way. What are the best to-dos for a solo trip?

• Minion

Re: OK... T-minus 2.5 days till my first solo trip... how to do the park alone

Quote Originally Posted by whoever View Post
    I've got carte blanche to do what I wish.
    Ooh, that's the key right there. What do you want to do? Do it! My personal itinerary involves riding Haunted Mansion repeatedly. YMMV.

I don't take pictures but other solo threads by photographers have mentioned how they can spend as much time as they want setting up their shot and waiting for whatever they're looking for to happen without hearing "Hurry up and take the picture!"

Sometimes Indy has single rider (depending on how long the stand-by line is), Splash Mountain does, Soarin' Over California, Goofy's Sky School (but that's a cramped ride so it depends on how you feel about personal space vs. beating the line).

If it's one of your few solo trips you might concentrate on attractions or areas of the park you know will be off-limits or rushed through with your usual companions. I really like the exhibits in the pirate cave on Tom Sawyer Island, but try to get most people over there (not usually easy). I also like the mirrored room on the second floor of the Mark Twain and the Asimo show in Innoventions.
    Last edited by bigcatrik; 06-02-2014 at 04:14 PM.

You should take the train next time, its a beautiful ride! Never had the chance to do a solo trip so I can't really help you out, but the Footsteps tour sounds like a good call. Good luck!

Just stick to the list of what you wish to do, and add anything else that comes into your mind while you are in the park(s). Have fun!

• Minion

look forward to your trip report and familiar with past trips.

1) spend more time around the Main Street hub. Listen to the music groups, catch the Cruella skit, flag retreat, watch the horses being dismounted from the trolley.

2) take photographs of the popcorn wagon characters as they turn the popcorn.

3) try a game of skill on PP.

4) pick one ride for repeat over and over and over. I did that on snow white and there was so much detail to be absorbed.

5) shooting gallery, I am still wagering that it will be gone in three years.

6) sit in the area in of the hub in front of the golden horseshoe, oh wait, that is probably how your backyard or your neighbors is designed.

7) explore the sword shop.
    8) photograph the skyway building.

9) Talk to ned, red and esmerelda

10) In the course of the day, offer to help photograph couples or families with their own camera, do this 10 times.

Yep- do the things your family never wants to do. Freedom to set up your photos and wait for something to happen. Catch the Columbia as she comes around the bend in exactly the right place. Eat at a place you've never been. Watch the sunset someplace.

I also like to watch the CMs change over Tom Sawyer Island to be the stage for Fantasmic, but that's just me. I'm a stagehand by trade, so it's interesting.

I've never taken the train from SD, but I have taken it from the north. There are buses you can take from the train station that let you off at Disneyland, so it's easy to do. The only wrinkle I've found with taking the train for the day is the schedule to come home is unfriendly. I have to leave the park around 5pm if I want to get home, but you should have additional options going south. There are more trains going that way.

And have a great day! Solo at the park is awesome.
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

what should I absolutely do besides closing down the park after midnight?
    Do you mean being the last guest out of Disneyland? I've done that a few times (a while ago) and, although it sounds silly, there's something magical about it.

• Disneyland Dreamer

Quote Originally Posted by laferney Road kid View Post
    6) sit in the area in of the hub in front of the golden horseshoe, oh wait, that is probably how your backyard or your neighbors is designed.
    Actually, I built my kids a tripple decker playhouse/treehouse patterned after... THE JUNGLE CRUISE QUEUE!! I have flood irrigation, so I get 12-14" of water at times, which makes it so authentic.

• Disneyland Dreamer

Quote Originally Posted by alphabassetgrrl View Post
    Yep- do the things your family never wants to do. Freedom to set up your photos and wait for something to happen. Catch the Columbia as she comes around the bend in exactly the right place. Eat at a place you've never been. Watch the sunset someplace.

I like the sunset idea, and I've never seen the lights come on at Cars land (missed it by about 45 seconds). I've eaten pretty much everywhere, so will probably just grab small meals in park, at NOS or Plaza Inn.

I've never taken the train from SD, but I have taken it from the north. There are buses you can take from the train station that let you off at Disneyland, so it's easy to do. The only wrinkle I've found with taking the train for the day is the schedule to come home is unfriendly. I have to leave the park around 5pm if I want to get home, but you should have additional options going south. There are more trains going that way.
    Do they do one-way tickets, and can you do the DL express adhoc? I'm flying out of John Wayne, so need to get over there (hence me renting a car).

My family is usually more concerned with rides. I go to the park alone often, and usually I spend most of my time between town square and the castle. Main street shows, vehicles, the train. Low-fi stuff that you can do passively. Things you walk right past when you're rushing to the next attractions.

Find our trip report videos on Youtube at FreshBakedDisney. Find our blog at www.freshbakeddisney.com.

I like the sunset idea, and I've never seen the lights come on at Cars land (missed it by about 45 seconds). I've eaten pretty much everywhere, so will probably just grab small meals in park, at NOS or Plaza Inn.

Do they do one-way tickets, and can you do the DL express adhoc? I'm flying out of John Wayne, so need to get over there (hence me renting a car).
    Oh, definitely see the lights come on at CarsLand! Flo's even has her own start-up sequence!

Not sure about the options for getting to the airport but there should be buses and one-way tickets available. I've only ever done the bus between Disneyland and the Amtrak train station; it's the regular OC bus or the special arts district bus.
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

• Still lost in Neverland

I've done both Parks by myself many times. You can do whatever you want when you want. Eat somewhere where you don't have to make plans that are involved as the Landing on D-Day. Do whatever YOU want to do and if a line is too long you can skip it and return later. There are hundreds of things you can do without having to wait for anyone to agree or cause problems. You are free to do what you want. HAVE FUN.
    Peter Pan Forever!!! I Will Never Grow Up.

Thank You Poisonedapples

• Disneyland Dreamer

Between fare to SNA from DLR and the price to get up via train/shuttle from SD, the rental car seems to work. What will make a few trips this summer work is if work ends up getting the furnished condo and leaving a company car in SD. It will cut my park time short having to come back to SD to fly out, but will save $50/day in rental when taking cars in between airports.

• Selfie Expert

The To Do list link in my signature is a list of things suggested by Chatters I made. Lots of little things that most guests either skip over or don't know about. Maybe you could get some ideas off there?

Thank you to Poisonedapples for my awesome signature!
    KellyMcG86's Disneyland To Do List

• MargyDisneylandLover

If you do decide to do the Amtrak sometime there is an ART route from there to the dlr. Hope this helps, the train is a beautiful way to travel.
    My Name Is Margy and I am a mint julepaholic.
    Disneyland freak since my first trip when I turned 6 months old...september 1987!!
    "I do not like to repeat successes, I like to go on to other things."
    ~* Uncle Walt *~
    2014 gumball rally team: Skyway sweethearts

​Proud premium Annual Passholder since May 2nd, 2014

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast