Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

• Senior Minion

Re: Disneyland slowing down in attendance. DCA is number 10.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesDusenberry View Post
    I've seen people on here complain or wonder about why DCA has shorter hours than Disneyland and regardless of how you feel about the improvements and additions to DCA over the past several years.. even with that billion dollar investment, after the hype of the new openings has died down, DCA has dropped again to getting half the attendance of Disneyland. I think the proof is in the numbers that DCA is still a sub-par park compared to Disneyland.. and most other Disney parks as well. I know for me, if they had built TDS exactly as it is, in place of DCA, it would definitely be way more popular! I'm more than positive, from all I've seen and heard about TDS, that there would probably be days that I would go to the DLR and spend the whole day at TDS, or at least most of it. Wheras now I maybe spend a few hours at DCA.. which allows me to do pretty much everything the park has to offer, then I leave to DL where I spend the rest of the day and usually don't get to even half of what DL has to offer...

I also find it very interesting that even with the HUGE number of visitors that WDW gets every year, especially Magic Kingdom... that Disneyland is only behind Magic Kingdom by a couple million visitors a year. Which yes, a couple million is a lot.. but considering that WDW as a whole gets over 52 Million visitors every year on average, you'd think MK's numbers would be much bigger than DL, but comparatively it's not really that much further ahead... Guess it just shows another reason why Disneyland is the best! ;-)
    Because of the way they count first clicks, I'm pretty sure that DL actually has more people spend all or part of their day in DL then MK does.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

• Not the Hawkguy

I've seen people on here complain or wonder about why DCA has shorter hours than Disneyland and regardless of how you feel about the improvements and additions to DCA over the past several years.. even with that billion dollar investment, after the hype of the new openings has died down, DCA has dropped again to getting half the attendance of Disneyland. I think the proof is in the numbers that DCA is still a sub-par park compared to Disneyland.. and most other Disney parks as well. I know for me, if they had built TDS exactly as it is, in place of DCA, it would definitely be way more popular! I'm more than positive, from all I've seen and heard about TDS, that there would probably be days that I would go to the DLR and spend the whole day at TDS, or at least most of it. Wheras now I maybe spend a few hours at DCA.. which allows me to do pretty much everything the park has to offer, then I leave to DL where I spend the rest of the day and usually don't get to even half of what DL has to offer...
    It's been discussed in the past, but Disney measures attendance based on first click. With how close the two parks are, and the proliferation of park hopper/APs in the market for the DLR, it's not that surprising that Disneyland would have that much higher attendance than DCA. Those numbers are inflated by APs coming later in the day after work, and with a large amount of that AP audience still having sentimental ties to Disneyland that they don't to DCA, DL is more likely to get those first clicks. I think it really doesn't matter what had ended up across from Disneyland; it would have faced a huge uphill battle just to fight against the ingrained advantages Disneyland has on the local market that forms the large majority of DLR visitors.

I also find it very interesting that even with the HUGE number of visitors that WDW gets every year, especially Magic Kingdom... that Disneyland is only behind Magic Kingdom by a couple million visitors a year. Which yes, a couple million is a lot.. but considering that WDW as a whole gets over 52 Million visitors every year on average, you'd think MK's numbers would be much bigger than DL, but comparatively it's not really that much further ahead... Guess it just shows another reason why Disneyland is the best! ;-)
    It really doesn't say anything. Both parks have different demographics in their visitors, in that WDW draws primarily tourists, while Disneyland, traditionally, is a local park. And both parks have hovered at around the same numbers since around 2009, when Disneyland jumped up by over a million visitors, and the most recent jump at MK by about a million.

• Senior Minion

I think the big picture is that in 1999 DL had 13.5 million total guests, just a bit higher then what DL was at for most of the 80's and 90's. Now it's 24.7 million. That's a huge increase to overall resort attendance which was mostly possible due to DCA, whether you think it's a good park or not.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

• Nic

I think the proof is in the numbers that DCA is still a sub-par park compared to Disneyland..
    I'd like to refer you back to your signature -

"Disneyland is a work of love. We didn't go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money."
    -Walt Disney
    Fear of the unknown.

They are afraid of new ideas.

They are loaded with prejudices, not based upon any reality, but based on… if something is new, I reject it immediately because it’s frightening to me. What they do instead is just stay with the familiar.
    You know, to me, the most beautiful things in all the universe, are the most mysterious.

Quote Originally Posted by Chesire View Post
    I'd like to refer you back to your signature -

"Disneyland is a work of love. We didn't go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money."
    -Walt Disney
    ...Not sure what that has to do with my comment there, I was referring to the number of attendees, not the amount of money made off each park or anything... but that is 100% true and why I put it in my signature, and the largest problem with the Disney company today is that it seems they are solely focused on what can make the most money, which is why they have tried (and failed) to get more attendance in DCA by adding more Pixar attractions and adding more Mickey and Goofy attractions and Little Mermaid and Oswald merch ... things they think will draw more people and sell more items because it's connected to various films that are no longer just classic films, but have become franchises that they try to make multiple movies of, make rides or entire lands now, and fill the park with all kinds of merchandise for people to buy based on the movies. And all of that is exactly the wrong approach for DCA, or any Disney park for that matter. And it's why a park like Tokyo DisneySea has done MUCH better than DCA over these past 13 years and why it has had very little alterations done to the park.

It's not about making money, it's about quality designs, architecture, layouts, attractions, and dining that give people an experience they love and want to go back to again and again. DCA fails in that regard, the people who LOVE DCA as much or more than DL are a small minority, and the park has very little appeal for people to want to go back and ride its rides over and over. It's not about money, it's about quality entertainment -- something DCA is lacking, at least compared to most every other Disney park.
    Words any Disney fan and especially Disney employee should live by:

-Walt Disney

"Disneyland will never be completed. It will continue to grow as long as there is imagination left in the world."
    -Walt Disney

"I do not like to repeat successes, I like to go on to other things."
    -Walt Disney

"We did it, Disneyland, in the knowledge that most of the people I talked to thought it would be a financial disaster - closed and forgotten within the first year."
    -Walt Disney

"It's kind of fun to do the impossible."
    -Walt Disney

"I only hope that we don't lose sight of one thing - that it was all started by a mouse."
    -Walt Disney

Quote Originally Posted by Nirya View Post
    It's been discussed in the past, but Disney measures attendance based on first click. With how close the two parks are, and the proliferation of park hopper/APs in the market for the DLR, it's not that surprising that Disneyland would have that much higher attendance than DCA. Those numbers are inflated by APs coming later in the day after work, and with a large amount of that AP audience still having sentimental ties to Disneyland that they don't to DCA, DL is more likely to get those first clicks. I think it really doesn't matter what had ended up across from Disneyland; it would have faced a huge uphill battle just to fight against the ingrained advantages Disneyland has on the local market that forms the large majority of DLR visitors.
    I HIGHLY doubt that if DisneySea were built, exactly as it is in Tokyo, but in California instead, that it would have had any of the problems or massive refurbs or continuing problems and complaints that DCA has. Just ask anyone who's been there and they will say how amazing it is and how it's usually their second favorite park after Disneyland. And just look at the numbers, Tokyo Disneyland is 2nd with 17 million visitors, and Tokyo DisneySea is right there in 4th place at 14 million visitors. Compare that to the 8 million visitors that DCA has and it becomes pretty clear which is a more popular park. Even comparing the differenves between DL and DCA in attendance and TDL and TDS, TDL and TDS are much much closer in attendance.. only about 3 million difference. While DL and DCA are almost 8 million apart, with DCA being half that of DL.

People just need to face the facts and admit that DCA is a failed park.. it was a failed idea and a failed park from the first day it opened and Disney has been trying to cobble together different patchwork lands and attractions in an attempt to fix it, but after 13 years it's still nowhere near as good as Disneyland. Again.. compare TDL and TDS which are separating by just one ranking spot, while DL and DCA are separated by 6 ranking spots. It's clear that TDL and TDS are much much closer in parity then DL and DCA are. So after 13 years of trying to fix up DCA, and with it consistently lagging behind DL and most every other Disney park.. how much longer will they go before Disney decides to do what needs to be done and do a complete massive re-tooling and re-themeing of DCA? It hasn't worked for 13 years... Maybe after 20 years if it's still a sub-par park, will they then make a change? How much more money can they invest in that park, without seeing the long term paybacks, before they decide it needs a complete re-do?
    Words any Disney fan and especially Disney employee should live by:

-Walt Disney

"Disneyland will never be completed. It will continue to grow as long as there is imagination left in the world."
    -Walt Disney

"I do not like to repeat successes, I like to go on to other things."
    -Walt Disney

"We did it, Disneyland, in the knowledge that most of the people I talked to thought it would be a financial disaster - closed and forgotten within the first year."
    -Walt Disney

"It's kind of fun to do the impossible."
    -Walt Disney

"I only hope that we don't lose sight of one thing - that it was all started by a mouse."
    -Walt Disney

I think that most people are freaking out when they should remember that TDL had a big anniversary last year, which boosts attendance for the year, and that DL will have an even bigger anniversary next year, which will also boost attendance. Also, TDL has a higher capacity than DL, and sometimes people get turned away from DL. The capacity of TDL will continue to grow as OLC is investing about $5 billion in TDS and TDL.

Disneyland is a locals park. More so than any other Disney property on planet Earth. A large part of Disneyland's attendance is AP's dropping in for a few hours (or less), and these AP's have strong ties to Disneyland because they've gone there their whole life.

So two things:

1) If Disneyland and Disney California Adventure were in the middle of California somewhere without a population of 20,000,000 within an hour it would be far more of a tourist destination than a locals park. Obviously. The parks attendance figures would be far closer than they are I suspect.

2) Disneyland is going on 60 years old. Disney California Adventure is 13 years old. Let's see how much closer the attendance figures get over the next 20 years as a bigger portion of the AP's will have grown up with both parks, and DCA has matured and improved as a park. As Disneyland did.

Is Disneyland a better park than Disney California Adventure? Yes. Is that the only reason it has significantly higher attendance? No.

Hi, it has been a long time since I last posted here.

I AM SO SORRY FOR MY TERRIBLE ENGLISH. I AM FROM BRAZIL. ENGLISH IS NOT MY FIRST LANGUAGE.

Now, let's talk about the attendance...

There are details that some people are forgetting here.

First, I am gonna start saying why TDR is getting more visitors than DLR.

Japan area: 377,944 km²

Japan population: 126,659,683 people

Japan Density: 337.1 people/km²

California area: 423,970 km² (bigger than Japan)

California population: 38,340,000 people(about 30% o Japan's population)

California density: 95 people/km²

So... It is pretty normal that a smaller place with much more people gets more visitors than a less dense place. I also would like to say that Japan has better public transport than California and TDR is closer to Tokyo than DLR is to Los Angeles.

Also, Tokyo metropolitan area is the largest in the world. And while LA is huge, Tokyo is much more populated.

TDLR is located about 15 miles(25 kilometer) from Shinjuku Station, in Tokyo. And DLR is located about 26 miles(43 kilometer) from Downtown LA. That said, it is much easier for the Japanese to achieve TDLR. They have subway, train, bus or can go driving. To go to DLR, the ways are bus or driving.

Another reason and, for me, the MOST IMPORTANT reason that makes the gap between TDL and TDS so small is the way the tickets are sold.

The guest cannot hop in the first two days. So, considering that most guests would stay 2 days in TDR, they save one day for each park. Consider that most of people go there in weekends and stay two days.

I don't see someone who is going to stay 2 days in the resort spending 2 days only at TDL or 2 days only at TDS. Most of the guest split their time there.

The company that manages the resort makes this prohibition to hop in the first two days as a way to make guests visit TDS.

The visitors have to spend an entire day at TDL and another entire day at TDS.

So, it is pretty normal to consider that the guests visit Tokyo Disneyland in the first day and Tokyo DisneySea in the second. The other days would be split or more guests would go to Disneyland. I don't know if you know, but japanese prefer Disneyland to DisneySea.

That is why DisneySea gets almost the same number of guests of Tokyo Disneyland.

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyGeekBrazil View Post
    Hi, it has been a long time since I last posted here.

I AM SO SORRY FOR MY TERRIBLE ENGLISH. I AM FROM BRAZIL. ENGLISH IS NOT MY FIRST LANGUAGE.

Now, let's talk about the attendance...

There are details that some people are forgetting here.

First, I am gonna start saying why TDR is getting more visitors than DLR.

Japan area: 377,944 km²

Japan population: 126,659,683 people

Japan Density: 337.1 people/km²

California area: 423,970 km² (bigger than Japan)

California population: 38,340,000 people(about 30% o Japan's population)

California density: 95 people/km²

So... It is pretty normal that a smaller place with much more people gets more visitors than a less dense place. I also would like to say that Japan has better public transport than California and TDR is closer to Tokyo than DLR is to Los Angeles.

Also, Tokyo metropolitan area is the largest in the world. And while LA is huge, Tokyo is much more populated.

TDLR is located about 15 miles(25 kilometer) from Shinjuku Station, in Tokyo. And DLR is located about 26 miles(43 kilometer) from Downtown LA. That said, it is much easier for the Japanese to achieve TDLR. They have subway, train, bus or can go driving. To go to DLR, the ways are bus or driving.

Another reason and, for me, the MOST IMPORTANT reason that makes the gap between TDL and TDS so small is the way the tickets are sold.

The guest cannot hop in the first two days. So, considering that most guests would stay 2 days in TDR, they save one day for each park. Consider that most of people go there in weekends and stay two days.

I don't see someone who is going to stay 2 days in the resort spending 2 days only at TDL or 2 days only at TDS. Most of the guest split their time there.

The company that manages the resort makes this prohibition to hop in the first two days as a way to make guests visit TDS.

The visitors have to spend an entire day at TDL and another entire day at TDS.

So, it is pretty normal to consider that the guests visit Tokyo Disneyland in the first day and Tokyo DisneySea in the second. The other days would be split or more guests would go to Disneyland. I don't know if you know, but japanese prefer Disneyland to DisneySea.

That is why DisneySea gets almost the same number of guests of Tokyo Disneyland.
    Your English is GREAT!!! It's a lot better than what I've read on these threads from us Americans.

• Not the Hawkguy

DisneyGeekBrazil basically nailed it. Yes, TDS is a phenomenal park, but there are a ton of other factors you have to consider for why it's as popular as it is.

@DisneyGeekBrazil

Awesome post! All of that information is fascinating, I had never heard any of it before.

Quote Originally Posted by Imagineer45 View Post
    The problem with DCA is that it is at a resort where a lot of the guests are locals who go all the time and are emotionally tied to DL. DCA will never get a significant boost until DLR is made into a resort where a lot more tourists from out of state/northern California will come, which will probably only result with a third gate because not to many people are interested in taking a long/expensive flight to California to see two parks.
    Disney can also wait until the current adult generation of DL tied Californians is replaced by today's youth who judge the park on quality, not emotional ties, and DCA will see its attendance grow a lot then.
    I agree. All my friends and family who still live in So. California still just go to Disneyland as a day trip only going to Disneyland and skipping DCA, and I am sure a lot of locals who don't have AP's are doing the same.

Also a lot of tourists to So. Cal are not doing a Disney trip like in Orlando, but a regional trip where Disney is only one stop, and may only be 1-2 days, and they move on.

I still don't think the last I saw the average room nights in Anaheim is still under 3 days, so it appears people are not spending a whole lot of time in the area.

Disneygeekbrazil did a fantastic analysis. I do, however, want to mention a few points.

TDR, like Anaheim, is pretty much a resort whose attendance is dominated by locals in the Greater Kanto region. So I'm not sure if the sale of the 2-day non-parkhopping passes factor greatly into the attendance figure since the visitors probably don't have the need to visit the resort on two consecutive days. However, a relatively affordable admission for a 1 day pass (around $65, if I remember correctly) encourages people to consider visiting the other equally high-quality park since the question becomes "well, I spent my entire day three months ago at Tokyo Disneyland. Should I spend my entire day when I go with my friends again at TDL or should I visit Disney Sea this time?" Tokyo doesn't offer one-day park hopper and that pricing system only works at a locals oriented park if the second park is of high quality and thus in high demand (imagine the sales for one day pass to the Studios park in Paris...). When DCA failed initially, DLR had no choice but to offer DCA as a cheap add-on by offering a 1 day park hopper and deleting the option for DCA-only AP.

As for the overall attendance, one could say that Tokyo is at a disadvantage with their AP pricing, where the 2 park annual pass has been priced at around $700 for the past decade, pricing out many locals who would otherwise go check out the park casually after work or school. But the aforementioned low single day pricing definitely counteract that lack of AP locals with repeat visitors who buy affordable 1 day pass.

I think their main culprit for the low attendance disparity between land and sea, besides the stellar "hard" product at TDS (rides, themed environment), is their strategic seasonal entertainment, which I consider as their "soft" offerings. Holiday offerings (such as Halloween, Christmas) at DLR are limited to simply Disneyland, while DCA is presented with a sad underfunded spillover of simple decor, which reinforces the image of DCA as the "other park". Tokyo, on the other hand, goes quite elaborate at both parks, and that results in Disney Sea regarded as the "sister park" with its own unique character with repeatability, and thats exactly what the targeted audience in Tokyo seem to want. Tokyo, ever since the late 90s, created this whole new demand of live entertainment-based offerings by essentially presenting the visitors with fantastic anniversary parades and seasonal parades/shows. Perhaps its the cultural difference, but all Americans care for seems to be that next big E-ticket attraction or a nighttime spectacular. I partially blame TDA for thier failure in creating a culture of appreciation for that form of entertainment. This results in the expectation among the main demographic who is only satisfied with the addition of big rides that can be churned out every few years (unless you're Universal ).

So basically, I do think that quality has always been the big issue at DCA, and its problems are exacerbated by the tainted reputation developed in its first decade.
    Last edited by alfiebyrne; 06-04-2014 at 11:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by alfiebyrne View Post
    I think their main culprit for the low attendance disparity between land and sea, besides the stellar "hard" product at TDS (rides, themed environment), is their strategic seasonal entertainment, which I consider as their "soft" offerings
    Don't forget about Duffy!

If Disney really wanted to increase gate clicks at DCA they would move the Frozen M&G over there.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast