Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Disneyland slowing down in attendance. DCA is number 10.

What do you think of these results?
    http://www.teaconnect.org/pdf/TEAAECOM2013.pdf
    Here I stand, in the light of day, let the storm rage on!!! The cold never bothered me anyway.

Re: Disneyland slowing down in attendance. DCA is number 10.

Hmmm.... I didn't find that in the report. What I read is that because of the east coast attractions being long term resort vacations the attendance has surpassed Disneyland. I am surprised that it hasn't happened earlier considering the ocean a stone throw away to the west and to the east once you reach new Mexico the population thins out. WDW has the entire eastern united states.

Be hard pressed to find anyone here who felt that 2013 was empty in the park. Research was years prior to 2012 and yes, attendance was down and spoiled us all for off season adventures. But the park is now crowded!!!!

• Minion

I don't think it is slowing down. I think it's just that Tokyo Disneyland made a significant increase in attendance in 2013.

• Sock Puppet

With all due respect here, I think it's seriously time for the Miceage staff to re-evaluate the sources from whom they are obtaining information. We all know the criticisms all over the internet against Miceage the last 6 months. Well, that won't improve after they have been posting articles declaring DCA's attendance above 10,000,000, more than once in the last month.
    Obviously, the number they obtained isn't even in the same stratosphere as the actual number.
    What gives???
    Last edited by DCAPAPA; 06-03-2014 at 08:00 AM.

• Sock Puppet

On another note, there is NO WAY, that Disney should be contemplating ANY significant investment in DL while the 2nd gate is still drawing little more than half the attendance of DL.
    The improvement in DCA's attendance is very good, but it still has a ways to go for the health of the resort.
    I predict that USH will pass DCA after the Potter expansion. All that needs to happen would be the same increase DCA received after CARSLAND. I think that will definitely happen.
    DCA did pass IOA, which is pretty cool. Overall, the resort increased attendance last year by 12%, which is very good. They just need to do further work to balance attendance between the 2 gates.

I am not familiar with Merlin Entertainment Group. Are they the company that runs Tokyo Disneyland?
    "A little consideration, a little thought for others, makes all the difference." – Eeyore

No, they run US attractions like Madame Tussauds wax museums and LEGOLAND. However, they're very UK based. Their biggest properties are Alton Towers and Thorpe Park.

As for the numbers, if they ARE accurate, recall that Disney only counts the first "click" of the turnstiles and for ALL of 2013, Cars Land was a major draw, and Radiator Springs Racers Fastpasses probably sent most visitors to DCA first, then to Disneyland later.
    I believe I chose the life of a tomb raider, because
    I'm addicted to the excitement that comes when life hangs in the balance.
    Famous last words.

•   
    • Minion

Well those are impressive numbers regardless. Maybe more people went into DCA first which takes away from DL but DL increased over 2012 anyways regardless. All the suits will care about is they own 9 out of the top 10 for attendance. Next year should be interesting with the new Harry Potter area opening in Orlando but it will only be half a years sample. I suspect it will impact IOAs numbers

slowing down....lol. Yeah, hardly. If anything, DCA is slowing down.

Find our trip report videos on Youtube at FreshBakedDisney. Find our blog at www.freshbakeddisney.com.

• Special Agent

Seems to validate a lot of what I have been saying for a year. Sometimes it feels good to be right.

But what happened to MiceAge? They had been predicting over ten million for DCA since before the expansion and it wasn't even close to 10 million. How can they be so off? I realize that they have a narrative to maintain but this just ends up making them look bad.

I will probably have a long post later, but the truth is that this is not looking good for the expansion of DCA. DCA is falling back into the same attendance ratio that they have basically maintained since it opened. Two days for Disneyland and one day for DCA. I'm guessing a lot of the increases since the expansion have been driven by APs and that's a bad thing too.

So, Disneyland Park had only a 1.5% increase, but still came in at the number 3 park in the world, while DCA had the third-biggest attendance jump (9.5%) of the top 10 parks in the world?

Sounds like they're doing just fine.
    "I know this is probably your first flight, and it's...mine too!"

• Shubisha

I think the fact that DCA went up by 9.5% with Disneyland still showing a small increase means it isn't really a slowdown... 9.5% is a lot (+1.5% for DL). :P

Obviously, Aecom has been doing this a while, but remember that Disney does not release actual attendance numbers, so this is an estimate based upon other evidence.

One thing that I can think of off the top of my head is "first click" vs however Aecom does their estimation. As another poster mentioned above, 10,000 people might have gone to DCA first, which is where Disney and therefore MiceAge gets their numbers.

Aecom, in coming up with their own number, probably doesn't necessarily begin and end with the first click. As an AP, there are plenty of times where DCA is my first click, but I spend a majority of time in Disneyland. Aecom probably tries to take that into account somehow in their estimates.

Quote Originally Posted by bkroz View Post
    No, they run US attractions like Madame Tussauds wax museums and LEGOLAND. However, they're very UK based. Their biggest properties are Alton Towers and Thorpe Park.

As for the numbers, if they ARE accurate, recall that Disney only counts the first "click" of the turnstiles and for ALL of 2013, Cars Land was a major draw, and Radiator Springs Racers Fastpasses probably sent most visitors to DCA first, then to Disneyland later.
    Thank you, that explains alot.
    "A little consideration, a little thought for others, makes all the difference." – Eeyore

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by MrLiver View Post
    Seems to validate a lot of what I have been saying for a year. Sometimes it feels good to be right.

But what happened to MiceAge? They had been predicting over ten million for DCA since before the expansion and it wasn't even close to 10 million. How can they be so off? I realize that they have a narrative to maintain but this just ends up making them look bad.

I will probably have a long post later, but the truth is that this is not looking good for the expansion of DCA. DCA is falling back into the same attendance ratio that they have basically maintained since it opened. Two days for Disneyland and one day for DCA. I'm guessing a lot of the increases since the expansion have been driven by APs and that's a bad thing too.
    All time record for both parks, sounds like they're doing awful. DCA had been stuck around six, now it's at 8.5, that's a huge increase. The fact that DCA maintained it's growth and still grew more in a year with nothing new sounds positive to me. You have claimed DCA would be down from its 2012 numbers, but you like to think you're right.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast