Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Has Disneyland ever MOVED a ride?

the alignment for the dlrr has been changed several times to allow for park expansion.

Wouldn't it be great if there was a branch line that ran to dca?
    But then either all tickets would need to be park hoppers or you'd only be allowed to ride if you had a hopper or other such messiness.

They moved the DLRR barn once.
    And the Monorail barn twice.

Don't know if they count, but history is fun.

•   
    • Minion

The Grand Canyon and Primeval World were both moved from the World's Fair in NYC, too.

It's not really a full ride, but the animatronics from America Sings were moved across the park to Splash Mountain.

And didn't they move the Mad Tea Party? I'm sure I've seen older photos of the park with the teacups closer to the Carousel.
    Merida looks like this. Not a Barbie doll!

• Minion

Yes, Mad Tea Party moved closer to Alice.

Didn't the Indian Village attraction move, not once but twice?

Quote Originally Posted by Malina View Post
    The Grand Canyon and Primeval World were both moved from the World's Fair in NYC, too.
    Actually just the Primeval World moved as it was part of the Ford Magic Skyway from the Fair. The Grand Canyon Diorama opened at Disneyland in 1958 and has been there ever since, it hasn't moved anywhere.
    "Hello folks, welcome aboard the Disneyland Railroad..."
    "The Gods have been angered by all the celebratin'..."

• U. B. Bold

During the New Fantasyland refurb of '83 all of the dark rides were basically gutted and rebuilt. None were moved per se, but none are the same rides they were. As mentioned, the Tea Cups, Carousel and Dumbo were all moved (but the Dumbo we have now is not the original. The current Dumbo spinner was originally built for Disneyland Paris. It has 16 elephants and the original had only 10).
    Please visit my Big Thunder/Disney Inspired Model Railroad

Dream big. Do what you love.

• Donald's #1 Fan

They moved / changed / merged the 3 Autopias for quite a while.

The Entrance for Space Mountain used to be front and center with escalators taking the riders up to the top deck. It was supposed to simulate space port travel. It was not practical for the size of the queue today so the escalators were taken out and the long walkway to the ramps far in the back are now used.

• DL Vistor Since 1968

Quote Originally Posted by fjhuerta View Post
    They moved / changed / merged the 3 Autopias for quite a while.
    Actually, they merged the Tomorrowland and Fantasyland Autopias. The third autopia was the Midget Autopia. It was removed when they installed It's A Small World.

• DL Vistor Since 1968

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Weaver View Post
    Yes, Mad Tea Party moved closer to Alice.

Didn't the Indian Village attraction move, not once but twice?
    I believe that the Indian Village was originally closer to Adventureland. It was moved to where Critter Country is currently located. Not aware of any other moves.

• Lurker

The Midget Autopia was moved to Walt's home town of Marceline, Missouri (the cars, guide rail and electrical equipment).

I just remembered that the original Frontierland Depot was moved across the tracks to where it sits today opposite the New Orleans Square station. It's based on a depot that was built for the movie So Dear to My Heart and was then moved to Ward Kimball's backyard for his model railroad (similar to Walt's).

• Minion

Sorry, my mistake. I thought I read in an article about the Indian Village that it had 3 different locations during its history. But I can't find that article now, and Yesterland only mentions 2 locations, one close to Adventureland and then the second in the area of what is now Critter Country. So that must be correct.

In addition to Midget Autopia, Fantasyland Autopia, Tomorrowland Autopia and the current Autopia, there was also a Junior Autopia (1956-1958) which was succeeded by the Fantasyland Autopia.

I still think of Astro Jets, Rocket Jets and Astro Orbiter as essentiallly the same attraction, since they were so similar and in the same land. But they weren't moved, just built all over again. Here is a photo of my sister stepping off the Astro Jets on August 27, 1956:

Name:  astrojets.jpg
Views: 124
Size:  196.8 KB

Quote Originally Posted by matman730 View Post
    The Midget Autopia was moved to Walt's home town of Marceline, Missouri (the cars, guide rail and electrical equipment).

I just remembered that the original Frontierland Depot was moved across the tracks to where it sits today opposite the New Orleans Square station. It's based on a depot that was built for the movie So Dear to My Heart and was then moved to Ward Kimball's backyard for his model railroad (similar to Walt's).
    Not only was the Frontierland Depot moved across the tracks, the tracks itself were physically moved about 150 feet to where they are now as the original Frontierland Depot and Disneyland Railroad right of way was originally where the Entrance to Pirates and the French Market is today, they shifted everything out in 1962 for New Orleans Square.
    "Hello folks, welcome aboard the Disneyland Railroad..."
    "The Gods have been angered by all the celebratin'..."

That's a wonderful picture, Bob.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by ravencroft View Post
    The Entrance for Space Mountain used to be front and center with escalators taking the riders up to the top deck. It was supposed to simulate space port travel. It was not practical for the size of the queue today so the escalators were taken out and the long walkway to the ramps far in the back are now used.
    The speed ramps were taken out because of California's accessibility laws no longer permit that form of vertical transportation.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast