Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hatbox Ghost

• Haunted Mansion Fan

Re: Hatbox Ghost

Quote Originally Posted by TheWhiteWhale View Post
    Not to take a thread off topic, but did anyone else find it interesting that the HM entrance plaques were shining gold/bronze on opening day? look at 4:44 in the video and you can clearly see the bright and shining plaque. Interesting.
    I heard somewhere, (probably here) that after the first few times they started to tarnish, they were removed and cleaned. At some point they stopped that practice. (thank heavens)
    Do not pull down on the safety bar please; I will lower it for you.

It would be pretty awesome if they finally brought the Hatbox Ghost to the ride for the anniverary or for Disneyland's 60th.. especially if they're going with a theme of nostalgia.. that would be a cool way to bring in something people have talked about from the opening of the ride itself. Disney definitely has the technology now to make the hatbox ghost effect work seamlessly and realistic..
    Words any Disney fan and especially Disney employee should live by:

"Disneyland is a work of love. We didn't go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money."
    -Walt Disney

"Disneyland will never be completed. It will continue to grow as long as there is imagination left in the world."
    -Walt Disney

"I do not like to repeat successes, I like to go on to other things."
    -Walt Disney

"We did it, Disneyland, in the knowledge that most of the people I talked to thought it would be a financial disaster - closed and forgotten within the first year."
    -Walt Disney

"It's kind of fun to do the impossible."
    -Walt Disney

"I only hope that we don't lose sight of one thing - that it was all started by a mouse."
    -Walt Disney

Quote Originally Posted by JamesDusenberry View Post
    It would be pretty awesome if they finally brought the Hatbox Ghost to the ride for the anniverary or for Disneyland's 60th.. especially if they're going with a theme of nostalgia.. that would be a cool way to bring in something people have talked about from the opening of the ride itself. Disney definitely has the technology now to make the hatbox ghost effect work seamlessly and realistic..
    I agree but I think the problem which Disney has created for itself is the fact that the attic and the black widow bride theme which they have installed in the attic would need to be reworked to have hatty fit in there. I can't really think of any other place to put Hatty besides the attic. Obviously he can't be before Leota (She summons the spirits) and he's too popular to stick in the ballroom scene. He wouldn't really fit in the graveyard as there's just too much going on in the graveyard. The attic would have to be redone to make Hatty the main focus with the bride playing the counterpart to Hatty. Maybe have him to the right side of the Doombuggy, opposite Constance?
    "Fairy tales, then, are not responsible for producing in children fear, or any of the shapes of fear; fairy tales do not give the child the idea of the evil or the ugly; that is in the child already, because it is in the world already. Fairy tales do not give the child his first idea of bogey. What fairy tales give the child is his first clear idea of the possible defeat of bogey."
    -
    G.K. Chesterton

I would imagine a lot more people saw the Hat Ghost than people think. It wasn't there for long, but I'd imagine the vast amount of people coming on opening day of the ride alone was a lot and the days past that, especially with a omnimover that is constantly moving.

With the technology and things Disney has done over the years, they have shown they definitely have the ability to bring the Hatbox Ghost back and in proper working condition. However, I think the main reason why they hold back onto doing so, is the story, the mystery, and the fact that while I'm sure a decent amount of people have seen him in the past in that short time, almost all of the HM and Disney fans of today weren't able to.

They put the Hatbox Ghost on merchandise, because they are able to time and time again sell it, because people buy it due to the the story, the mystery, and the idea of the character alone. And they manage that without even having this ghost be in the Haunted Mansion for people to see every day. That's why they do it.

Maybe they will bring it back for a big anniversary, a big anniversary, but until then, I think Disney enjoys the fans continuing to keep wondering if it will ever come back.

Quote Originally Posted by TheWhiteWhale View Post
    I agree but I think the problem which Disney has created for itself is the fact that the attic and the black widow bride theme which they have installed in the attic would need to be reworked to have hatty fit in there. I can't really think of any other place to put Hatty besides the attic. Obviously he can't be before Leota (She summons the spirits) and he's too popular to stick in the ballroom scene. He wouldn't really fit in the graveyard as there's just too much going on in the graveyard. The attic would have to be redone to make Hatty the main focus with the bride playing the counterpart to Hatty. Maybe have him to the right side of the Doombuggy, opposite Constance?
    You're right, the attic's storyline shouldn't be touched at this point supposing that he does come back. Personally I think a good place to put him would be the descent into the Graveyard scene as there are only the trees in place right now with nothing else to look at. If right after the Doombuggies turn around and tilt backward he could pop out from the ceiling or something that would be cool.
    "Hello folks, welcome aboard the Disneyland Railroad..."
    "The Gods have been angered by all the celebratin'..."

• Evil is Sexy

Or the little space between the ballroom and the attic. He'd be a ghoulish warning/teaser about what was to come.
    Peter Pan: "You know, your hair is on fire."
    Me: "Yes. It happened after a recent trip to Neverland."
    Peter Pan: "Well, you can dunk your head in the pond behind us, if you want."

Lost Child of
    Neverland since 1996.
    ~Favorite Hero: Peter Pan. Favorite Villian:Malificent.Favorite Ride: The Haunted Mansion.~

• Disney's #1 Fan

Quote Originally Posted by WildeNight View Post
    Or the little space between the ballroom and the attic. He'd be a ghoulish warning/teaser about what was to come.
    That would be a great place for him

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
    No, he's got a cult following who probably buy more HBG merch then most typical guests.
    ^^ This is exactly right

Any links to the new hm merch?

• Seeker of Fun

Has Tony Baxter ever commented on why HBG was never brought back?
    Stockholder and Walt Disney Autograph holder!!

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by WildeNight View Post
    The problem I have with that is that his glowed up body would reflect on the glass in the ballroom, like how the changing portraits in the attic now reflect on the glass pane.

I'd be completely fine with the attic scene changing to accomodate the Hatbox Ghost.. I mean in the original story there was a bride in the attic and there was a Hatbox ghost who was meant to be the groom, but the bride killed him. So a rework would be great and go back to the original promotional story for Haunted Mansion that was created and released on vinyl. Plus, the bride effect just looks terrible... face face is projected onto a flat round manican head so her face doesn't look that realistic... plus the digital projection is much more modern and it takes away from the feel of the rest of the ride because it's not of the same quality as the rest of the ride.
    Words any Disney fan and especially Disney employee should live by:

"Disneyland is a work of love. We didn't go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money."
    -Walt Disney

"Disneyland will never be completed. It will continue to grow as long as there is imagination left in the world."
    -Walt Disney

"I do not like to repeat successes, I like to go on to other things."
    -Walt Disney

"We did it, Disneyland, in the knowledge that most of the people I talked to thought it would be a financial disaster - closed and forgotten within the first year."
    -Walt Disney

"It's kind of fun to do the impossible."
    -Walt Disney

"I only hope that we don't lose sight of one thing - that it was all started by a mouse."
    -Walt Disney

Quote Originally Posted by 4Apples4Disney View Post
    Has Tony Baxter ever commented on why HBG was never brought back?
    In a documentary about the Haunted Mansion, there was footage of Tony Baxter talking about it while going through the Haunted Mansion itself, and commented that supposedly no one knows where the original castings and what not from the Hatbox Ghost is. Also, that the effect worked while testing it at WED, but not once it was in the ride and stated he was able to see the Hatbox Ghost himself while riding the ride before it was officially open.

That's all the comments I know about the Hatbox Ghost that I know of, unless he has commented about it somewhere else, and said different things now.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by PinBrian View Post
    Any links to the new hm merch?
    A friend shared this with me yesterday.
    New Haunted Mansion Merchandise Materializing This Fall at Disney Parks « Disney Parks Blog

• Disneyland Dreamer

Quote Originally Posted by TFN5459 View Post
    You're right, the attic's storyline shouldn't be touched at this point supposing that he does come back. Personally I think a good place to put him would be the descent into the Graveyard scene as there are only the trees in place right now with nothing else to look at. If right after the Doombuggies turn around and tilt backward he could pop out from the ceiling or something that would be cool.
    I totally agree with this approach. Reading through this thread, taht was my idea as well.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast