Grad Night Crowd Impact

I was thinking of going to Disneyland on June 18 - it's a rare summer weekday when the bottom 2 AP levels are blocked out. I've found that when that happens, I usually have a pretty enjoyable day. However, this date is also a grad night. I don't know what type of impact that will have on crowds - is the worst of it only in the evening hours or all day?

Would be interested in the opinions of the experts on here - what is the better option - going with just one passholder level blocked out, or on a grad night day with 2 levels blocked?

Re: Grad Night Crowd Impact

On our recent trip grads were not disruptive-loud & happy at times though. However the whole time, tues the 27th through sunday the 1st were packed in general. I don't think it will matter either way. Pick the date most convenient to you & bring patience. we found going to park from 6-close the best for us.

• Under that tree again!

To some extent the crowds will be kind of even.

The main thing is the crowds will go up each day as the Grads show up at various times throughout the day.

Use the slower morning hours for rides.
    Use FastPass.
    Do the big, scary rides early as the grads will swarm to them and those lines get worse as the day goes on. Leave the tame, small rides for later, they won't be dying to ride Pooh or Monster's Inc.

DCA will start closing off areas in late evening, so you should be done with DCA by then.

Fantasmic! and Magical Fireworks will be very, busy. DLR will be nice again in its last hour since the grads will have gone over to DCA. It won't be empty just better.
    Be Cool Stay in School!
    Next year I'm trying for a summer internship at Stark Industries.

Quote Originally Posted by swampymarsh View Post
    To some extent the crowds will be kind of even.

The main thing is the crowds will go up each day as the Grads show up at various times throughout the day.

Use the slower morning hours for rides.
    Use FastPass.
    Do the big, scary rides early as the grads will swarm to them and those lines get worse as the day goes on. Leave the tame, small rides for later, they won't be dying to ride Pooh or Monster's Inc.

DCA will start closing off areas in late evening, so you should be done with DCA by then.

Fantasmic! and Magical Fireworks will be very, busy. DLR will be nice again in its last hour since the grads will have gone over to DCA. It won't be empty just better.
    Unlike past trips mornings weren't quiet. Magic morning was useless.

they ehy need to get rid of it for regular tickets IMO & only be a hotel perk or vice versa.

Do you really want to go when it will be mostly filled with 17-18 year olds that think their mundane story is the most amazing thing ever told and will talk as loud and enthusiastically as possible so everyone, including people who don't want to listen, will hear them? Do you really want to be stuck in line listening to that all day long? I was a teenager too, and just as annoying, but now that I'm older, I'll pass on that.

Someone recently posted a thread about thier trip during grad night and they didn't have a problem. So, maybe it won't be so bad. Good luck!

• Minion

The last few Grad Nites of the season, with June 18th being the very last one, are always the least attended. Only a few thousand Grads show up for those that last week, while the Grad Nites in May and early June have upwards of twelve thousand Grads in attendance each night.

Go June 18th, you'll be fine. It's not the Grad Nite calendar you need to watch for, it's the AP blockout calendar. A few days earlier there will be INSANELY BUSY days because it's the last few days before the SoCal level AP's are all blocked out for the summer.

we went 5/21 and 5/22 and while Disneyland seemed to get more crowded as the day went on, I didn't notice it to be so bad that it effected our trip. I suggest using fastpass to it's fullest; getting them for the e-ticket rides you want to ride as early as possible. IJA got very crowded as the day went on and I was glad to have a fastpass for it. On the rare occasion I found myself getting annoyed at some group of teens, I just looked at my kid and he was oblivious to them and just having a great time and that really helped.

Enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by brian11811 View Post
    do you really want to go when it will be mostly filled with 17-18 year olds that think their mundane story is the most amazing thing ever told and will talk as loud and enthusiastically as possible so everyone, including people who don't want to listen, will hear them? Do you really want to be stuck in line listening to that all day long? I was a teenager too, and just as annoying, but now that i'm older, i'll pass on that.
    this.

• ...and the Flowers Croon

We were there in April and there were quite a few big teen contingents in matching t-shirts swarming the park. Choral groups and cheerleaders, I think. Sometimes they'd spontaneously break into songs or cheers in line. My young nieces (8 and 5) thought they were wonderful. The teens were, for the most part, really well behaved. Go with an open mind -- you might even enjoy them.