Thread: Marvel Land

Marvel Land

I've been following the progress for The Marvel Experience:

The Marvel Experience - Produced by Hero Ventures, is a unique, multimedia, family-oriented, traveling experience unlike anything ever seen before.

A recent article states: "When asked if Disney could be working on something more permanent, Rick Licht, co-founder of Hero venture, had this to say,
    “Nobody does theme parks better than Disney. They are the gold standard. My parents took me and my sister to Disney World when we were kids and to this day it is still the best trip I've ever taken. Disney set the table for me as that first taste of themed entertainment has always been top of mind in developing The Marvel Experience. Doing something bigger or more permanent with the Disney-Marvel family would be a dream come true, but we've got a ton of work to do before we get to even raise the subject. We can’t get ahead of ourselves. Once we build this magnificent beast and people see how truly special it is then we’ll be able take a step back, take a deep breath and address the other opportunities that are out there for us.”

Is Disney Planning a Marvel Theme Park?! | moviepilot.com

So is this the beginning of Marvel rides hitting the park?

• Senior Minion

Re: Marvel Land

As they've already started building Marvel attractions, of course they're coming to the theme parks. Will more be coming? 100% for sure, no question.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

I know the Iron Man ride is coming to HK, but my question was DLR specific (poor wording on my part). I agree Disney wants Marvel to be stronger in DLR, given it can't be in WDW. For Marvel/Disney to develop attractions with a 3rd party is a strong indication that Disney wants it. But this leads to the old questions of where it goes in DLR and what comes out.

• Senior Minion

I'd welcome many Marvel characters in TL, nothing but SM is sacred to me there. They could even changes Star Tours into the Iron Man attraction and that would be fine with me. I'm also be fine with some of them appearing in Hollywood Land.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

It will be interesting to see Disney's next move. On one hand they have Marvel, and on the other, Star Wars. 2 franchises that literally print money. Originally I had thought there would be a greater SW presence at WDW, and Marvel here, due to the Universal deal, but I'm not sold. Either way, they're gonna do crazy numbers, and angering Micechatters.

• Down Pluto!

I hope it is a brand new park or parks and not more at Disneyland.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny Loggins View Post
    Either way, they're gonna do crazy numbers, and angering Micechatters.
    Not just Micechatters...

I am Sambo, and I endorse this signature.

Marvel is going to eventually have multiple attractions/shows in DLR. Iron Man can go in DCA near Hollywood Land because Tony Stark has his house there, X-Men could go in Tomorrowland with this whole time travel thing in X-Men Days of Future Past, the rest of the Avengers could also go in DCA with them saving California or something like that in the attraction, there are plenty of options.
    I do not think that Disney would build a whole theme park based on Star Wars and Marvel, because what if they suddenly become unpopular? Disney is much more likely, and it would be a smart move, to build a Hero/Villain Theme Park, and to have one or two lands for each Marvel and Star Wars.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Imagineer45 View Post
    Marvel is going to eventually have multiple attractions/shows in DLR. Iron Man can go in DCA near Hollywood Land because Tony Stark has his house there, X-Men could go in Tomorrowland with this whole time travel thing in X-Men Days of Future Past, the rest of the Avengers could also go in DCA with them saving California or something like that in the attraction, there are plenty of options.
    I do not think that Disney would build a whole theme park based on Star Wars and Marvel, because what if they suddenly become unpopular? Disney is much more likely, and it would be a smart move, to build a Hero/Villain Theme Park, and to have one or two lands for each Marvel and Star Wars.
    While I mostly agree, I don't think Disney is very worried about a Star Wars/ Marvel park not being popular. What if Car's becomes unpopular? What if Bug's Life becomes unpopular? (It already has.) What if Avatar becomes unpopular? Clearly they think that their key franchises are worth the risk of becoming unpopular. You know why, because once things inside Disney parks they tend to never become unpopular. That's the primary reason they've been adding them.
    -Walt Disney

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
    While I mostly agree, I don't think Disney is very worried about a Star Wars/ Marvel park not being popular. What if Car's becomes unpopular? What if Bug's Life becomes unpopular? (It already has.) What if Avatar becomes unpopular? Clearly they think that their key franchises are worth the risk of becoming unpopular. You know why, because once things inside Disney parks they tend to never become unpopular. That's the primary reason they've been adding them.
    These are lands, which can easily be renovated, not entire parks. Also, a Bug's Land has become relatively unpopular and is widely thought to be renovated or returned.

• Not the Hawkguy

These are lands, which can easily be renovated, not entire parks. Also, a Bug's Land has become relatively unpopular and is widely thought to be renovated or returned.
    Bugs Land is thought to be relatively unpopular because it isn't a full land. By that, I mean it is very much a land designed for small children, no matter how much many of us here enjoy the charm of Heimlich's. I don't think a well-realized Marvel or Star Wars land/park would have that issue.

• Senior Minion

Well, what if Disney becomes unpopular? It's the same thing. There have been times when Disney hasn't had a hit for many years, and the parks do fine. The park will survive if its a good park. And it's not exactly cheap to replace or renovate whole lands either, but the risk seems worth it. The chance that these properties will become irrelevant when their fan base is already incredibly multigenerational seems highly unlikely.

Plus, Disney has a lot of evidence to show that having things in their parks is the best way to keep properties popular. That's the entire idea behind their shift to so many existing IP. These properties are more valuable in Disney's hands then any other company because of the parks, TV and the merchandise and distribution that Disney controls.

Marvel and Star Wars have the potential to make billions of dollars NOW and are as close to a sure thing as anything that Disney owns. Companies can't plan for long off future possibilities that probably will never even come. They will make their money back and if the popularity of something waines they will make changes as needed.

Anyway, I think that the chance of the park being branded as Marvel Land or something along those lines is virtually zero anyway. Disney is the most famous theme park brand in the world and it makes the most sense to brand it as Disney Hero Land or something like that anyway.
    -Walt Disney