Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

• Launch sequence engaged

Re: Has Pirates been ruined by Boat Crowding?

Another unmentioned problem to the traffic are the prevalence of wheelchairs, and the fact that it takes a while to safely make sure people who are wheelchair bound transfer safely and securely. I've consistently seen a long line of those who wish to transfer, and I'm sure that's another culprit of the gridlock.

Nonetheless, I enjoy being stopped in certain scenes as there is plenty of detail to admire.
    "You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try." ~ Homer Simpson

• Why do you keep talking?

Perhaps they need to replace the motor and chain, and that's what is causing the back-ups? Well we'll see when it opens back up in june as the new PotC
    "Tonight I wash my hands of you
    You set the bar I could not live up to
    Tonight the light is breaking through
    So thank you very little and send me postcards from hell"
    Zebrahead

• Who Loves Disneyland?

I experienced the same delays on IASW, Splash Mountain, and POTC. My back and neck hate it when the boat is bumped from behind. I wish Disney could figure out a better way to handle the overcrowding.
    I See SPOTS!!!!!!

Magic Kingdom 1992 and 2008
    Disneyland 1984, 1987, 1993 (3x's), 1998, 2005, 2007

• Adventurer

The special needs line really messes up the whole line and loading/unloading process. They need to have a special boat that is easier to load these poeple in and out of. While maintaining the show and safety.
    The One, the Only, the Original:
    Dr. Indiana Jones

Judging from what I've read, it seems a lot of you don't know about block brakes. On rides like Splash Mountain, Matterhorn, Space, or any attraction that has drops or lifts, these types of rides have block brakes. Even the little Fantasyland attractions have them. The block brakes are there to prevent sudden collision. Yes, if two Pirates boats hit each other, it wouldn't matter because of the rubber things that are attached to the rear of each boat; they'd just bounce of one another. But can you imagine if one boat was sitting at the bottom of a waterfall and the boat right behind that one comes right down and crashes into it, that would hurt and could cause a derailment of the boats. Well, that's why they have block brakes. This means that boats cannot continue until the boat or vehicle is safely passed the block brake. If two boats were travelling down a waterfall, boat 1 goes first. Boat 2 must wait at the previous block brake until Boat 1 has safely passed the next block brake. ONLY then can Boat 2 proceed. So, when you go up the hill at the end of Pirates, boats have to be spaced evenly and safely. You can't have a train of boats, one right after the other, going up the hill, because they'd call crash into each other when they reach the top.

• Why do you keep talking?

It seems this has less to do with blocking, but more to do with timing (and if mentioned an old motor that can't handle the stress load it originally could) Obviously you can't have the boats that close to each other going up the lift, but you can have them closer then what they currently go up.

What needs to happen is a separate loading dock for Special Access (similar to Space Mountain) or an easier way to transport the guests onto the boats.
    "Tonight I wash my hands of you
    You set the bar I could not live up to
    Tonight the light is breaking through
    So thank you very little and send me postcards from hell"
    Zebrahead

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Following The Optimist

Good to note that the block below the chain sometimes waits, because the block in front of the lift-hill is full (the curve back to the loading dock).
    -Monorail Man

• Guilty!

The reason the boats back up at the arsenal scene is because the lift automatically stops when there are 5 boats backed up in the horseshoe behind the station. Boats at station approach usually back up when a guest using a wheelchair is transferring into or out of the boat and is taking a long time. Guests transferring from a wheelchair are the cause of a ride "cascading", breaking down due to a back-up, at a lot of attractions including Winnie the Pooh and a lot of Fantasyland classic attractions. Space Mountain used to have a big problem with it before they got the transfer table.

For boats backing up at drop 1, DLResident has it right. When a boat is going down drop 1, the boats behind it are blocked by sorter brakes so they don't collide or accidently go down the drop together.

Sorry folks, but Pirates has been "105" - reduced capacity - for months now for regular boat maintenance.

DOSH allows Pirates to run with a maximum of 44 boats (back in the day, 50 was the max!). Pirates has been running with only 42 for quite awhile now.

So how do the boats back up so bad in the Arsenal? It is because of those guests who take forever to get situated. You know, "safely seated" and all that jazz. Dispatch times are every 18 seconds, but you'd be surprised how long it takes to get two boat's worth of people ready to disembark quickly on a busy Saturday. Another reason for backing up are wheelchair/disabled guests, who take quite a few extra minutes to get into those boats.

Makes sense, huh?

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Gopher
    Sorry folks, but Pirates has been "105" - reduced capacity - for months now for regular boat maintenance.

DOSH allows Pirates to run with a maximum of 44 boats (back in the day, 50 was the max!). Pirates has been running with only 42 for quite awhile now.

<snip>Another reason for backing up are wheelchair/disabled guests, who take quite a few extra minutes to get into those boats.

Makes sense, huh?
    Just remember that only 6 boats out of those 42 will have a wheelchair transfer. So, it isn't like every other boat is slowing things down. 1 in 7 boats might have a transfer in them. And most don't slow it down.
    If you see a cute yellow lab puppy with a yellow cape, WAVE! It might be us! (Or it may be someone else that lurks here!) Thank you for asking before you pet! Next trip, Dec 22-Jan 3rd.

• Hooterville, USA

This was a very informative thread. This is why I read MiceChat.

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

• Sshhh, being very quiet

Hmm...

I'd be more worried about boat WEIGHT capacity reaching its full. Then again if they put the max amount of people in the boat it might reach weight capacity.

But there is a story behind the comments I make...it involves a boat, I was in...that was not at people capacity..yet, started sinking...

• Guilty!

Suppose there are 44 boats running. That's 22 boats that index into the rear station where wheelchair transfers and guests using GACs are loaded into. Pirates can only have a maximum of 6 transferring guests on the ride at any given time. Therefore every 3-4 dispatches a guest using a wheelchair is loaded onto a boat. (22 / 6 = 3.6...) The ride control system only allows cast members to dispatch after the dispatch interval time (usually set at 18 seconds) has passed. 2 boats are dispatched into the attraction approx. every 35-40 seconds. If a guest loading takes more time than what the dispatch interval is, a back-up will then occur. It's a lot harder to recover from a back-up than you might think because you have to remember that the guest who transferred into the boat must also transfer OUT of the boat, too, which occasionally takes a lot longer than the loading process.

Couldnt they just run less boats? Sure it would make the line a little longer, but I think a slightly longer wait time for a much higher quality experience is worth it.

And being the only boat in any particular scene is in my opinion a MUCH higher quality experience. Sometimes near the end of Pirates it feels like an omnimover, without the separation between ride vehicles. At that point, it might as well be a walk-through attraction. Occasionally, guests would get through the final scenes if it WERE walk through, heh.

• Guilty!

Running less boats is simply out of the question. Cast members are only allowed to dispatch a set of boats when there are 2 more lined up behind the station so that those boats will index into the station after a dispatch. If there were less boats, you'd be waiting for a while for boats to line up so the cast members could dispatch. Trust me, efficient dispatching is a part of Show, too. To be honest there's nothing they can do to prevent boats from crashing at the top of drop 1, but they do everything they can to prevent boats from piling up before the lift. The dispatch interval is correctly timed to run 44 boats without a back-up. Is it really the cast member's fault if the guests are slow and need the motivation to sit their butts down in the boat?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast