Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

• Banned User

Re: Bringing back the PeopleMover and other assorted ideas

Quote Originally Posted by Imagineer45 View Post
    First if all, YOU WANT TO DESTROY THE MONORAIL? That is one of the worst things in many ways. Even if you are completely anti-monorail, it does serve a huge role in directing traffic away from Main Street and helps spread out the crowds. You also propose selling many properties that will never be sold, aka THE DISNEYLAND HOTEL! Your Toontown ride is terrible, since you want to get rid of Roger Rabbit and Mickey's House. This post has some wacky ideas..., but the PeopleMover idea is good!
    In what imaginary world does the Disneyland Monorail "serve a huge huge role in directing traffic away from Main Street and help spread out the crowds"? I would wager that easily 99% of guests enter the resort through Main Street. The fact that you can enter Disneyland through the Monorail is purely an afterthought. It is an abysmally low-capacity "solution" for alleviating crowding on Main Street, so much so that the concept itself (large-scale alternate entrance/exit) is ludicrous, and that's being charitable.

• Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by sediment View Post
    There is a more effective way to handle the problems that the AP Program creates.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cDAqrywsHE
    Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

Quote Originally Posted by sediment View Post
    There is a more effective way to handle the problems that the AP Program creates.
    Disney actually needs the AP Program to fill up empty seats in the off-season. The only way we'll ever see APs priced out of the range of middle/working class locals is if more K-12 school districts west of the Mississippi adopt 9/80 schedules and become more telecommuting friendly in terms of schoolwork/E-learning. Both those changes would almost eliminate the off-season. Oh, and travel costs would also need to come down a little bit.

Quote Originally Posted by nerdycm View Post
    Ok, I don't know how realistic a Monorail demolition is considering how many years the old People Mover track has laid dormant but here's my main beef with the Monorail. Does it work well as an attraction? Does it work well as a mode of transportation? It's sort of stuck between the two, does neither well, and heavily impacts both parks. Condor Flats, Hollywoodland, and Tomorrowland probably get a disproportionate amount of hate on these forums and coincidentally the Monorail passes through all 3 lands. Ever consider the possibility that Imagineers get their ideas for these lands shot down constantly since they have to deal with the Monorail? I'm not sure how expensive it was to re-route the Disneyland Railroad for Indy but I'm positive any Monorail re-routing will be way more expensive. So the Monorail is probably going to stay around for another decade and just go the way of the abandoned People Mover track.

The first idea behind my property exchange is the current Disneyland Hotel is further away from the Main Gate than my proposed replacement Disney hotel on Harbor. Coupled with the pedestrian bridge, I think shorter walking distances to the Main Gate make these pieces of property more valuable than the Disneyland Hotel in the long term. I also swapped only the northern downtown Disney properties since I think the southern properties would be better used as a Grand Californian expansion, especially if Paradise Pier or Grizzly Peak expansions invade current Grand Californian space.

The second reasoning behind the property swap and Harbor People Mover is the parking structure to soak up eastern Southern California APs. In between Orange County, the Inland Empire, and Riverside there's a huge AP market for a massive parking structure bigger than Mickey and Friends. The reason this market doesn't currently fill up the Toy Story lot is the occasional longer bus waits and the lack of magic in taking a bus/not parking in a structure. The PeopleMover solves both these problems, in addition to alleviating a ton of Main Street morning traffic, which should spare the Main Street vehicles for another 2-3 decades.

I think a Zorro expansion for DCA where the Simba lot currently is would finally make a separate Paradise Pier Hotel entrance viable again. Couple this with some Zorro-themed Disney Vacation Club villas and we finally have a multi-day resort rather than a park for just day trippers.

Some other ideas I had for Hollywoodland involved adding two smaller shafts to Tower of Terror. This would both increase capacity and make Single Rider viable with the two new smaller elevators. If the bellhops can stay awesome, I know they can make it work without forcing the current library video to be shortened. Or maybe they can just make the two libraries bigger and add a 2nd TV in each library. The other concept I had was having the Red Car Trolley pass through a haunted Hollywood/Twilight Zone show building and arriving at the Ornament Valley station, which would be located close to where Route 66 now dead-ends. Is there a Twilight Zone episode of ending up stranded in the desert because that could work as a transition to Ornament Valley. The show building for Red Car Trolley would be copying the concept of the Disneyland Railroad's dioramas, which are still huge attractions to this day.

For kicks and giggles, I'd resurrect the Geyser Mountain drop tower concept for Frontierland. Basically I'd scale up and waterproof an off-the-shelf space shot and theme it to an oil derrick. The storyline would be a slimy oil tycoon decides to drill in an active geyser field and gets more than he bargains for. The geysers soak you at ground level before each ascent and after each descent. Randomized launch and geyser eruption sequences increase re-ridability. If we're being extremely bold, a staircase runs up the inside of the derrick to allow a zip line over Rivers of America to be utilized for aerial acts in an updated Fantasmic! With current materials, the Rivers of America zip line during the daytime would be bad show so I'd hold off until a less intrusive zip line becomes technologically viable. Height wise I'd make the derrick tall enough to run a zip line over the Columbia but not taller than the Matterhorn. We're talking a middle ground between Jumping Jellyfish and Tower of Terror.
    According to other blogs and websites, Disney has previously been discussing putting a monorail station in Condor Flats to make the monorail a real transportation method, but the idea has been stalled as they would need the monorail to have ticket booths inside the park. I get that you think giving up hotels is a good idea, but it is not because they are always full during the summer, holidays and weekends. Disney would rather add another hotel than get rid of one. The site you say is an expansion for DCA is actually a good idea, until you realize than this is all parking. The current lot you propose would make up for the current parking dilemma and have some extra spots. By doing this extension, DLR would once again be short on parking. Paradise Pier Hotel will probably not get its own entrance because it is a moderate hotel, as it would be called at WDW. Only deluxe resorts get this treatment. A people mover to the Toy Story Lot would actually make a lot of sense and give people a reason to park there. New shafts won't be added to TZToT, but I can see the Geyser Mountain idea coming back. A zip line in DL sounds a bit weird, though.

Quote Originally Posted by second blue teacup View Post
    In what imaginary world does the Disneyland Monorail "serve a huge huge role in directing traffic away from Main Street and help spread out the crowds"? I would wager that easily 99% of guests enter the resort through Main Street. The fact that you can enter Disneyland through the Monorail is purely an afterthought. It is an abysmally low-capacity "solution" for alleviating crowding on Main Street, so much so that the concept itself (large-scale alternate entrance/exit) is ludicrous, and that's being charitable.
    Let's say you are right and 99% of visitors enter through Main Street. This means that the monorail brings about 162,020 people into the park every year. This is a lot of people, and if you have ever been on Main Street on a crowded day, you would know that it could not any more people entering that way. Instead, advertise the monorail as an alternative option to ease traffic.

According to other blogs and websites, Disney has previously been discussing putting a monorail station in Condor Flats to make the monorail a real transportation method, but the idea has been stalled as they would need the monorail to have ticket booths inside the park. I get that you think giving up hotels is a good idea, but it is not because they are always full during the summer, holidays and weekends. Disney would rather add another hotel than get rid of one. The site you say is an expansion for DCA is actually a good idea, until you realize than this is all parking. The current lot you propose would make up for the current parking dilemma and have some extra spots. By doing this extension, DLR would once again be short on parking. Paradise Pier Hotel will probably not get its own entrance because it is a moderate hotel, as it would be called at WDW. Only deluxe resorts get this treatment. A people mover to the Toy Story Lot would actually make a lot of sense and give people a reason to park there. New shafts won't be added to TZToT, but I can see the Geyser Mountain idea coming back. A zip line in DL sounds a bit weird, though.
    If they were willing to restrict Monorail access to parkhoppers-only then a Condor Flats station would be super cheap to implement. One Monorail CM would visually inspect tickets at the Tomorrowland station and another at the Condor Flats station in a manner similar to how the Validation position at every Fastpass attraction visually checks Fastpass times extremely quickly. I think Main Gate already has a hand-stamper at the Downtown Disney Monorail station so the Downtown Disney station wouldn't have to change at all.

As far as dropping hotel capacity, the new Disney hotel(s) on Harbor, an expanded Paradise Pier hotel, and an expanded Grand Californian would more than make up any losses. And obviously they'd gradually turn over the 4 Disneyland Hotel towers one by one if they decide to build the Harbor hotel gradually.

The PeopleMover to the Toy Story lot probably isn't feasible in terms of finances, although it definitely would work wonders in getting APs to the future 3rd gate at the Toy Story lot in the off-season.

My Simba lot expansion for DCA is probably more of post-3rd gate expansion in a future where self-driving cars cut the need for parking in half. So I'll probably have kids/grandkids before that ever happens.

• Nutty about Disney parks

I agree that if Disney is really serious about getting more tourism money from DLR, they need to build more hotels.

I do have one idea: since there is some debate up in the air about whether or not a 3rd gate will happen in our lifetime, perhaps they should just give in and build a parking garage in the Toy Story Lot. Chances are they'll never be able to find enough land to sustain parking and other necessities for a third park anyway (unless the park itself was built very small) and that could open up all the parking lots west of the resort for more Disney hotel real estate.

If in the future, they do manage to buy enough parking land and such then they can just tear down the garage and build their park. But the way I see it this land issue could be a decades long problem where very little will be resolved. To build a third gate now with no sustainable amount of parking would result in disaster.

To me this is the only viable option for Disney if they're really wanting that tourism market. About a dozen non-Disney hotels are already expected to be built around the area...that's more money Disney will be losing to the hotel competition unless they put forth building more hotels suiting diverse budgets and more exclusive Disney perks.

• Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by toonaspie View Post
    I
    I do have one idea: since there is some debate up in the air about whether or not a 3rd gate will happen in our lifetime, perhaps they should just give in and build a parking garage in the Toy Story Lot.
    Maybe not a bad idea but they should make it edible....that way if they do decide to build a 3rd park later they can just bring in a bunch of goats for the demolition.

Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

• Not the Hawkguy

We've discussed this before, and the problem is the current monorail system and that there isn't a spot in DCA that would allow for enough zones to exist between a DCA station and the DTD station, or between the DCA station and the DL station. Putting a DCA station in would require a huge reworking of the existing monorail system.

According to other blogs and websites, Disney has previously been discussing putting a monorail station in Condor Flats to make the monorail a real transportation method, but the idea has been stalled as they would need the monorail to have ticket booths inside the park.
    That's not the reason at all. It's purely a technical issue. The Monorail needs three zones in between trains. A stop at Condor Flats or anywhere along the line from Tomorrowland to the DTD stop does not allow three zones.

If they were willing to restrict Monorail access to parkhoppers-only then a Condor Flats station would be super cheap to implement. One Monorail CM would visually inspect tickets at the Tomorrowland station and another at the Condor Flats station in a manner similar to how the Validation position at every Fastpass attraction visually checks Fastpass times extremely quickly. I think Main Gate already has a hand-stamper at the Downtown Disney Monorail station so the Downtown Disney station wouldn't have to change at all.
    The one problem with this is that the monorail might drop in rider numbers.

As far as everyone is talking about zones, that problem can be solved by moving the stating to Buena Vista Street or Hollywood Land.

Quote Originally Posted by Mojave View Post
    That's not the reason at all. It's purely a technical issue. The Monorail needs three zones in between trains. A stop at Condor Flats or anywhere along the line from Tomorrowland to the DTD stop does not allow three zones.
    Okay, my knowledge of infrared sensors and various attractions makes me extremely skeptical about this "three zone" concept preventing a 3rd station. First, zone densities are typically based on vehicle speed. If you keep a sharp eye the next time you're on Splash Mountain and Radiator Springs Racers you'll notice infrared sensors close together when you're moving slow and further away when you're moving fast. Slowing down the Monorail would create enough space to put in 2-4 extra infrared sensors. Finally, most attractions can advance a vehicle if there's enough space for one vehicle. With the Monorail only having two trains for 3 stations, the system could be reconfigured to where a train can't dispatch unless the station ahead of it is clear. In fact, I'm pretty sure that's the way it currently is.

• Not the Hawkguy

The one problem with this is that the monorail might drop in rider numbers.

As far as everyone is talking about zones, that problem can be solved by moving the stating to Buena Vista Street or Hollywood Land.
    This doesn't solve the problem, as instead of needing the zones between DTD and DCA, you now have too little zones available between DL and DCA.

Okay, my knowledge of infrared sensors and various attractions makes me extremely skeptical about this "three zone" concept preventing a 3rd station. First, zone densities are typically based on vehicle speed. If you keep a sharp eye the next time you're on Splash Mountain and Radiator Springs Racers you'll notice infrared sensors close together when you're moving slow and further away when you're moving fast. Slowing down the Monorail would create enough space to put in 2-4 extra infrared sensors. Finally, most attractions can advance a vehicle if there's enough space for one vehicle. With the Monorail only having two trains for 3 stations, the system could be reconfigured to where a train can't dispatch unless the station ahead of it is clear. In fact, I'm pretty sure that's the way it currently is.
    Calling it a technical issue may not have been the best word, because it does seem to be a simple sensor/timing issue. But, the system is designed to require 3 blocks between trains. That's just the way it is. There are only 6 blocks between TL Station and DTD Station, so no room for an additional station (all based on how they determine what a block is).

mycroft16 has more information in this post: Remove the Monorail Station from inside Disneyland

• Rock Star Minion

Disney actually needs the AP Program to fill up empty seats in the off-season. The only way we'll ever see APs priced out of the range of middle/working class locals is if more K-12 school districts west of the Mississippi adopt 9/80 schedules and become more telecommuting friendly in terms of schoolwork/E-learning. Both those changes would almost eliminate the off-season. Oh, and travel costs would also need to come down a little bit.
    So, there is no need for a Premier-level AP, then, right?
    I'm OK with an off-season. It is a great time to refurb chunks of the park and for discounting admission for less product/service.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12