Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bringing back the PeopleMover and other assorted ideas

Everyone wants to Peoplemover back but the current track won't work for a variety of reasons. My proposal is converting Innoventions into an Avengers/Star Wars themed Tomorrowland Transit Authority station of the future. The tiny length of track would extend from Innoventions to a themed tunnel with show elements across backstage/the railroad. A futuristic bridge then crosses Harbor Blvd. and we arrive at a massive station where the Mimi's Cafe parking lot currently is. A giant Disney parking and multi-hotel complex connects to the station so day trippers and hotel guests can either take the PeopleMover across Harbor or walk across the pedestrian bridge through the new eastside Downtown Disney district. (The hotel shuttle/ART/Toy Story drop-off gets moved to the current taxi/auto drop-off area on Harbor, although it will probably need to be extended down to Disney Way. To make this land deal happen without messy eminent domain abuses, Disney offers the Disneyland Hotel, Tortilla Joes, House of Blues, the Wetzel's Pretzels building, the Naples Restaurant and Pizzeria building, the Disneyland Monorail station, the Rainforest Cafe, and EPSN zone properties to the current owners on Harbor in exchange for any unowned properties along Harbor necessary for the new Disney parking structure and hotels. The new owners of the north side of Downtown Disney become responsible the maintenance and re-routing of the Disneyland Monorail. If they choose to abandon it there's a clause in the contract that makes them responsible for a timely demolition that doesn't impact more than half of Disneyland's Main Gate at a given time.

Personally, I'd love it if the new Monorail owners axed the Monorail. Not only does this help fix the bad show of the Monorail in Fantasyland but it makes the plan of a new parade route loop possible. Basically the new parade route would loop around the Matterhorn, keep going through the current smoking area, and finish on a new path through Autopia and the old Motorboat cruise area. To make more parade viewing and to help deal with the massive crowds arriving via PeopleMover, the subs get the ax and Autopia replaces Luigi's Flying Tires in the form of Luigi's Driving School, a miniature, lower budget version of Racers for kids not tall enough for Racers yet.(Cadillac range gets extended and little kids get to drive their electric car through the California desert.

Even though Fantasyland already occupies a huge chunk of Disneyland in terms of space, rides, and Disney characters, it still can afford an expansion since Star Wars, Marvel, Car 3, and Incredibles 2 simply don't have a large enough female appeal in North America, the target market for Disneyland. My biggest idea is bringing Beast's, Rapunzel's, and Elsa's castles to Fantasyland. Beast's Castle goes where the current Fantasyland Theatre is. It's purpose would be hide the new backstage break areas, Casey Jr. sheds, and Storybook Land storage docks. In addition, battlements to the east would provide parade viewing, as well as the Be Our Guest Restaurant. The main entry into Beast's Castle would be onto the west via a path connecting the edge of Toontown to the old Skyway station. Storybook Land Canal Boats is transformed into Belle's Storybook Land Canal Boats. You enter the queue from inside Beast's Castle, the queue starts as you journey through his library, enter the library gardens, and board the boats. The canal flume gets greatly expanded both to the west and to the north in the form indoor portions that allow for better lighting effects. The boats themselves become modernized versions of the Pirates and Small World boats. During the indoor portions a touchscreen book on the back of the seats light up so infants and toddlers can read along and turn the page as Belle narrates the different stories corresponding to the miniatures. The exit lets out in a gift shop in Beast's Castle so the canal boats don't have to close during parades. I don't like the idea of adding Disney Polly Pockets to Storybook Land like the one in Paris but not adding them to the miniature scenes and selling them in the gift shop is walking away from a money-printing machine.

In terms of gutting Toontown, the only things that need replacing are Rodger Rabbit and Mickey's House. Rodger Rabbit replaces Muppets and Stage 17 while Mickey's House gets's moved to Stage 12 and the Hollywood Land water tower.(That demolishing of the Monorail would be super convenient to help keep Mickey's House in it's current state or better.) To appease Mickey fanatics, Yen Sid's tower gets added to Fantasyland so kids can still meet Sorcerer's Apprentice Mickey at Disneyland.

As for what I'd put in Toontown, my main focus would on a grand, even bigger than the Hyperion Theatre-scale theatre, a giant Frozen/Tangled Meet-and-Greet, Yen Sid's tower, and King Arthur's Carousel. Since the fireworks would close down this section at night, none of these attractions would be for at a loss since they're tied to Entertainment budgets, aside from the Carousel. Thematically, I'd like to make all of Toontown Arindale but just an expanded Fantasyland allows for Corona Castle, Yen Sid's tower, Elsa's ice palace, and a grand Arindale-themed theatre. This theatre would get an Aladdin-scale musical/show from Frozen, Tangled, or Beauty and the Beast. Mickey and the Magical Map gets moved to the Hyperion Theater so that expensive map doesn't go to waste. Moving King Arthur's Carousel to Fantasyland Toontown expansion not only clears up the present castle courtyard but it also enables the return of the Sword and the Stone show to Toontown Fantasyland, giving Fantasyland more boy appeal. A bigger reason for moving the Carousel is it allows for Dumbo to expand and get an additional 10+ elephants.

If Small World's popularity remains a 2nd flume through the old Rodger Rabbit show building wouldn't be uncalled for. The two flumes would have different scenes so Small World's re-ride value would go up. There's currently so much dead space in Small World that cutting the flume/ride lengths wouldn't really detract from the experience.

Another idea for Fantasyland is to re-use the old Dumbo spinner if it doesn't move to DCA or another park. Riding Pegasus, Mushu, or Elliot from Pete's Dragon would satisfy the kids and Disney nerds alike, in addition to giving Fantasyland more boy appeal.

More to come....

Re: Bringing back the PeopleMover and other assorted ideas

First if all, YOU WANT TO DESTROY THE MONORAIL? That is one of the worst things in many ways. Even if you are completely anti-monorail, it does serve a huge role in directing traffic away from Main Street and helps spread out the crowds. You also propose selling many properties that will never be sold, aka THE DISNEYLAND HOTEL! Your Toontown ride is terrible, since you want to get rid of Roger Rabbit and Mickey's House. This post has some wacky ideas..., but the PeopleMover idea is good!
    Last edited by Imagineer45; 06-09-2014 at 03:42 PM.

• Rock Star Minion

"I bought the monorail so I could dismantle it!!!!"
    Peoplemover would be a great replacement for the Stickey and Friends tram.
    With proper legal clearance, it could used for Toy Story lot as well. Really, how much would something like that cost, assuming it would relieve congestion in the area, thereby getting cheap rights of way (basically, above Harbor Blvd) and such from the city?
    then, extend the PM all the way to Angels Stadium and ARTIC. Heck, add another branch to the Honda Ponda.
    Oh, I'd also speed it up a little. no need to chug along.
    Also, I'd add solar cells to the tops of each, so less energy is used. Win-win. Win!
    So, PM? Sure use it as real life transportation. It is no Tomorrowland ride, in the literal sense of the word.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

I'm afraid that the "more to come..." is going to be the selling off, demolishing or moving of every other single attraction or property at DLR.

Kids, don't do drugs.

Quote Originally Posted by StillThePassHolder View Post
    Kids, don't do drugs.
    Haha, funniest post of the day, probably week.

• Donald's #1 Fan

Kids, don't do drugs.
    hahaha!!!!

• Senior Minion

I think that you actually have some concepts in there that are good, but like others have said, your solutions are pretty off the wall. Your first problem is that you never really clearly state the issues you're trying to solve. Conceptually, another large exit out of the park is a strong concept, but you never really make the argument why that's so important and then your solution is completely unrealistic. More use of the 90's and later animated features in FL is a strong concept. Again, your solutions are extreme and don't really seem to add enough value for the extreme changes you propose. I mean moving the carousel is crazy to me, its placement is iconic. I don't really feel like going through it one by one, but I hope you get the point.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

•   
    • Minion

• "What is thy bidding?"

Sounds like a monorail people mover hybrid idea, I like the idea of an advanced people mover that could move people from parking lots to the park...could help further with congestion clearing out the park and bring life back to tomorrowland..these wish full people mover threads will continue until something happens to the abandoned tracks above tomorrowland.

How bout turning the gadget coaster into 7 dwarfs mine train..move roger rabbit to DCA and bring a beauty & beast dark ride in its place...turn the whole area into similar to the new Fantasyland at WDW....

• Not the Hawkguy

Turning Toontown into a completely entertainment-based area is a really good idea for handling having to shut down that land for fireworks. If you did multiple princess meet and greets and move the stage show back there, those can be cleared out in time for nightly fireworks shows, and you could do special nighttime activities on nights without fireworks. In addition, it frees up the Fantasyland Theater area, and you could run a second attraction with a line going under the berm, with the ride in a show building on the opposite side, hidden by the expanded Fantasyland theming.

Also as much as I am against parts of the monorail (I'd love to do away with the inner loop), I think you have to have it enter the park at least a bit, unless you change the track entirely so that it only circles around Tomorrowland (which would actually be a good, if extremely costly, change).

• World of Color

Kids, don't do drugs.

Ok, I don't know how realistic a Monorail demolition is considering how many years the old People Mover track has laid dormant but here's my main beef with the Monorail. Does it work well as an attraction? Does it work well as a mode of transportation? It's sort of stuck between the two, does neither well, and heavily impacts both parks. Condor Flats, Hollywoodland, and Tomorrowland probably get a disproportionate amount of hate on these forums and coincidentally the Monorail passes through all 3 lands. Ever consider the possibility that Imagineers get their ideas for these lands shot down constantly since they have to deal with the Monorail? I'm not sure how expensive it was to re-route the Disneyland Railroad for Indy but I'm positive any Monorail re-routing will be way more expensive. So the Monorail is probably going to stay around for another decade and just go the way of the abandoned People Mover track.

The first idea behind my property exchange is the current Disneyland Hotel is further away from the Main Gate than my proposed replacement Disney hotel on Harbor. Coupled with the pedestrian bridge, I think shorter walking distances to the Main Gate make these pieces of property more valuable than the Disneyland Hotel in the long term. I also swapped only the northern downtown Disney properties since I think the southern properties would be better used as a Grand Californian expansion, especially if Paradise Pier or Grizzly Peak expansions invade current Grand Californian space.

The second reasoning behind the property swap and Harbor People Mover is the parking structure to soak up eastern Southern California APs. In between Orange County, the Inland Empire, and Riverside there's a huge AP market for a massive parking structure bigger than Mickey and Friends. The reason this market doesn't currently fill up the Toy Story lot is the occasional longer bus waits and the lack of magic in taking a bus/not parking in a structure. The PeopleMover solves both these problems, in addition to alleviating a ton of Main Street morning traffic, which should spare the Main Street vehicles for another 2-3 decades.

I think a Zorro expansion for DCA where the Simba lot currently is would finally make a separate Paradise Pier Hotel entrance viable again. Couple this with some Zorro-themed Disney Vacation Club villas and we finally have a multi-day resort rather than a park for just day trippers.

Some other ideas I had for Hollywoodland involved adding two smaller shafts to Tower of Terror. This would both increase capacity and make Single Rider viable with the two new smaller elevators. If the bellhops can stay awesome, I know they can make it work without forcing the current library video to be shortened. Or maybe they can just make the two libraries bigger and add a 2nd TV in each library. The other concept I had was having the Red Car Trolley pass through a haunted Hollywood/Twilight Zone show building and arriving at the Ornament Valley station, which would be located close to where Route 66 now dead-ends. Is there a Twilight Zone episode of ending up stranded in the desert because that could work as a transition to Ornament Valley. The show building for Red Car Trolley would be copying the concept of the Disneyland Railroad's dioramas, which are still huge attractions to this day.

For kicks and giggles, I'd resurrect the Geyser Mountain drop tower concept for Frontierland. Basically I'd scale up and waterproof an off-the-shelf space shot and theme it to an oil derrick. The storyline would be a slimy oil tycoon decides to drill in an active geyser field and gets more than he bargains for. The geysers soak you at ground level before each ascent and after each descent. Randomized launch and geyser eruption sequences increase re-ridability. If we're being extremely bold, a staircase runs up the inside of the derrick to allow a zip line over Rivers of America to be utilized for aerial acts in an updated Fantasmic! With current materials, the Rivers of America zip line during the daytime would be bad show so I'd hold off until a less intrusive zip line becomes technologically viable. Height wise I'd make the derrick tall enough to run a zip line over the Columbia but not taller than the Matterhorn. We're talking a middle ground between Jumping Jellyfish and Tower of Terror.

• Rock Star Minion

There is a more effective way to handle the problems that the AP Program creates.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Mickey's cousin, Sparky!

Phoenix, AZ -- wishing I were on the 10-60-91-57

Having just gotten back from WDW and riding in the Peoplemover, my opinion is that the ride can stay inYesterland.

Sure it was a nice time to sit back for a few minutes but there wasn't anything special about the ride. When we did travel into a building there was very little to see.

My vote is to keep it a memory and do something new with the real estate.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast