Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Seasonal Ticketing

So This week, i one of my friends posted on FB a picture of her new Knotts summer pass. This got me to think that disney should do this like a summer only park hopper pass. Do you think Disney should do this?

• Minion

Re: Seasonal Ticketing

I'm up for it. Maybe you could also do it in an annual pass format.

General pricing theory would suggest, if summer is the popular season, and thus theoretically doesn't need the help, a "seasonal" Disneyland ticket would mean: buy a "summer" parkhopper, pay oh say $20 more than the corresponding "winter" parkhopper. Plus since they're sold in grocery stores and whatnot, you'd have either both onsale at once and people needing to notice the difference, or shelf swaps, and the time when you'd be allowed to "activate" the ticket, regardless of when you bought it, would be limited in a very different way than it is currently.

Or if you're talking about a 3-month passport, rather than an Annual one, the price difference there would need to be something less than the 365 pass to make it appealing, but not so much less to cannibalize other ticket types. IE, appealing to someone who wanted something akin to a 10-day parkhopper, but probably not a conspicuously good value to someone who might otherwise be in the marker for premium or deluxe, by which I mean, it'd look like a not-great value to anyone within a less than 5-hour drive.

• #bringevilback

I was not aware they had a "summer pass". Knotts typically sells what they call a "season pass" which is good for the entire calendar year, regardless of when you purchase it (January or June, still expires Dec 31). Can you give more details regarding the summer pass?

• Senior Minion

DL definitely does not need to sell summer passes, that's why all the lower passes have major summer blockouts. If they wanted to completely replace Annual Passes with Spring, Fall and Winter passes, that might work, but I don't see why they would. Best plan is what they're doing, just get rid of the one that's resulting in the lowest average cost to enter, especially on any busy days, and then keep raising prices until they get the right balance that they want.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

Quote Originally Posted by CassiefRN View Post
    I was not aware they had a "summer pass". Knotts typically sells what they call a "season pass" which is good for the entire calendar year, regardless of when you purchase it (January or June, still expires Dec 31). Can you give more details regarding the summer pass?
    They don't have a "Summer Pass", only Season Passes (valid thru 12/31/14). And the Season Passes come in three different levels: Regular, Gold, and Platinum.

• Chief Troublemaker

No, I don't think Disney wants or needs to add to the summer crowds. I think Disney makes good money from off season visitors (who still pay full price) due to shorter hours, eatery closures, and ride rehabs, so I doubt they'd ever offer one. They know that most of us 'offseasoners' consider the lower crowds & shorter lines a pretty fair trade off.

The So-Cal Select is kind of an 'off season pass' but just for locals. Frankly, a similar non-location restricted off season pass would be perfect for (non-local) me since I'm retired & my trips' park days could easily be Mon-Fri instead of my usual Sun-Thu. But it'll never happen.
    "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Maybe something like this perhaps..........

A booklet of 12 park-hopper passes ....good for up to two years.

It could include:

1 "E" ticket; good for any day of the year.
    2 "D" tickets; good for most days...blocked out for holidays and summer Sats.
    3 "C" tickets; good for most non-summer days.
    3 "B" tickets; good for non-summer weekdays.
    3 "A" tickets; good for days when the resort expects major attraction refurbs.
    Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

•   

One day we will have demand pricing down to the day based on how many people are expected to be in the park on that day. For Example: If it is expected to be a day a full capacity the one day park hoppers will be 25% more that day. Whereas a Wednesday in FEB will quote a much lower price. There is no reason the parks shouldn't do this. That way you can tell how busy the park is based on the price, as well as be able to budget your trips to the parks better if your not an AP

Quote Originally Posted by Droberts1395 View Post
    One day we will have demand pricing down to the day based on how many people are expected to be in the park on that day. For Example: If it is expected to be a day a full capacity the one day park hoppers will be 25% more that day. Whereas a Wednesday in FEB will quote a much lower price. There is no reason the parks shouldn't do this. That way you can tell how busy the park is based on the price, as well as be able to budget your trips to the parks better if your not an AP
    Not to pull the "Americans are dumb" card but Coca-Cola can't even get demand pricing in vending machines based on temperature. People freaked out when they tried it. Maybe in another hundred years when your average American making purchasing decisions for their household has a basic understanding of math and economics.

• Semi-Lurker

One of the first type of passes the park sold was a summertime (Memorial to Labor Day) that was only good after 4pm, they sold that pass for years....

My first Disneyland Passport was a seasonal pass. It was a "Holiday Passport" in 1998. It allowed one full day plus any day after 4pm. This was from October through December. It may have only been offered to SoCal residents. I found out about it through a full page ad in the newspaper.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by MSmoovepi27 View Post
    So This week, i one of my friends posted on FB a picture of her new Knotts summer pass. This got me to think that disney should do this like a summer only park hopper pass. Do you think Disney should do this?
    you sell a pass to increase attendance of a slow period. Disney does not need to increase summer crowds. This is why they limit the SoCal passes.
    If you see a cute yellow lab puppy with a yellow cape, WAVE! It might be us! (Or it may be someone else that lurks here!) Thank you for asking before you pet! Next trip, Dec 22-Jan 3rd.

• Rock Star Minion

Maybe they would do this if they had to compete with a much better park right down the street.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

Just extend the time between uses on multi-day tickets. Through my work, I can buy a ticket to Legoland that comes with a second day free, with up to 90 days in between.
    "I know this is probably your first flight, and it's...mine too!"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast