Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Annual parking pass

Hello all,

So this year my wife and I have decided instead of going somewhere this year, for our 4th wedding anniversary in October, we are getting Disney Annual passes. This will be the first time that either of us have gotten DL AP. We are getting the Southern California Select. These work out the best for us, because I work weekends, and are planning to go on Tuesdays. Our plans are to buy them on the 1st of July, so we can use the tickets they send us when we buy them online, go on the 2nd for the day and to pick up the AP. Then, starting in August when the blackout months are over, go at least once a month.
    We want to add the parking pass to one of them. On Disney's passport details page it says:
    • An annual parking pass for the Mickey & Friends parking structure is available for an additional $159. (Subject to availability and restrictions apply.

My question is, if the structure is closed, will we have to pay the parking fee ourselves at the other parking lots?

Thanks,
    Goodiej17

• #bringevilback

Re: Annual parking pass

Currently APs with parking are accepted at both Toy Story and M&F

You can park at any of the Disney lots. M&F probably wont fill up on Tuesdays so I wouldnt worry about it too much

Don't be surprised if you get routed over to Simba Lot if you are coming off of Ball Road. Disney works at managing the direct traffic coming off the 5 by constantly closing and opening the structure to traffic coming in off Ball Road.

• Minion

The only lot you would have to pay for is Downtown Disney (everyone has to pay there past 3 hours), but they have signs that say "no theme park parking" and you can't enter without taking an automated parking ticket so you'll know you're in the wrong place and can immediately leave.

Parking is currently $16 per day, so unless you plan to go at least 10 times you will be wasting money.

Parking is now $17.

Quote Originally Posted by SOTSreleaseplease View Post
    Parking is now $17.
    How did Disneyland survive when parking was $.50 for decades? I think it was still $.50 in the 80's.

Parking was much cheaper in the 80's and the trams were fast to and through the parking lot (now DCA). Now you spend time listening to the same long spiel in English and Spanish before the tram can depart.

If parking was still that cheap all of the spots would be gone very early, there would be no incentive to car pool. The fact is, they should probably raise parking even more to encourage people to take public/hotel transportation

Thanks for all the info.

Quote Originally Posted by SOTSreleaseplease View Post
    Don't be surprised if you get routed over to Simba Lot if you are coming off of Ball Road. Disney works at managing the direct traffic coming off the 5 by constantly closing and opening the structure to traffic coming in off Ball Road.
    That's why I was asking. We were went to DCA on a Friday last Sept. and I was trying to park at M&F. We got there before the parks opened, but it was closed and my got sent to Simba not knowing the kind of walk it was from there to the park entrance. The walk to the parks wasn't too bad, but the walk back after being in DCA for 12 or so hours sucked.

Quote Originally Posted by Whipland View Post
    Parking is currently $16 per day, so unless you plan to go at least 10 times you will be wasting money.
    We have set dates for once a month, a couple of months, twice. So at this point we have 13 trips planned. And there may be months we may go more.

• Rock Star Minion

In this case, "wasting money" < "wasting thousands of dollars."
    So, a few bucks for the whole year if you don't go as often as you plan.

Big deal (sarcastic voice).
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

Quote Originally Posted by sediment View Post
    In this case, "wasting money" < "wasting thousands of dollars."
    So, a few bucks for the whole year if you don't go as often as you plan.

Big deal (sarcastic voice).
    My point was that not all people with APs go enough to justify a season parking pass. The economics speak for themselves, if you only use the parking pass 5 times in a year you wasted money. If you only went 5 times you spent $74 dollars more than you needed to . "A few bucks"--- maybe for some. $74 for someone else is dinner for the family at Blue Bayou.

Opinions... (sarcastic voice)

• Rock Star Minion

Going only five times wastes a lot more money on the AP itself. Because no one plans to go that often without thinking about purchasing an AP. And AP purchasers likely do not think that DL is worth $100 in admission, no matter how much fun they had.

Anywho, I get the impression that the AP is not an impulse purchase, nor is there a high-pressure sales pitch, nor is there a "buy it before we sell out" push (welllllll....). People who buy them, like our OP, will plan to go to the park a certain number of days. That number is such that the price per visit is what the person thinks Disneyland (resort) admission is worth, on average.

My point is that it's about the planning (prospective), not how things turn out (retrospective).
    What if he turns out not to go at all?? Think of the money he wasted!!
    Maybe OP will give us an update in a year or so. Then we can tell him coulda/shoulda/woulda.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Rock Star Minion

Also, I'm a bit surprised at how expensive the Annual Parking Pass is. I can only assume this is one solution to the overcrowded parking issue. IMO, it's not going to work, but the increased revenue stream will be a consolation prize.

Still, it's difficult for singlish AP'ers (non-family-folk) to plan to carpool 10-15 times a year with different groups and make sure that someone in the car has a parking pass. It's no guarantee, unless you have one. But the others have to think of themselves and their other circles of friends. So, everyone buys one, and everyone drives separately (because everyone has different lives and different obligations during the day).
    So, bigger revenue stream, same problems.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast