Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

• Banned User

Re: What action would be taken if Disneyland were threatened by fire?

Quote Originally Posted by sediment
    OTOH, if DCA were to go on fire, what would the response be like?
    LOL.

• Long Distance Imagineer

Put the crickets in It's Tough To Be A Bug to work! An army of AA firefighters! Just joking...LOL

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Disneyfreak
    LOL.
    You evacuate the 15 guests.
    I'll bring the gasoline. I promise to stay away from Monsters, but only because I haven't experience that attraction yet.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini Cricket
    I'm hoping they have a plan. Because Disneyland only has that one fire engine in their firehouse and Goofy hangs out there a lot. Not a good sign.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Gemini Cricket again.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfy999
    Years ago there was a massive fire near Disneyland at Ball & Euclid, just down the street from the Park. Hundreds of homes were lost, even my house had sparks fly over from this fire (I'm in Garden Grove). Never heard Disneyland was threatned, but the winds were very strong and the whole area was threatened. Anyone remember this one?
    i remember it well.

even the Anaheim Fire Department Station on Euclid (just south of Ball) burned to the ground.

what saved Disneyland that day was that the fire was just west of the Park and the winds were blowing west (away from the Park).

but yes, i remember, about 4 city blocks (several hundred apartments) were destroyed.

• Banned User

Hmm funny. I wqould just let it burn down the park and then redo it the right eway with a good tot, a rock'n'roollerocaster and other really nice original rides(no paradise peir) soarin is the only ride i hoe that would stay standing(it somewhat is the only ride deserving to be saved. I havn't been on monsters inc but it think that the ride system could be hanging with doorslike in the movie.
    As for saving disneyland i would use water from the mains if any and then switch to rivers of america, the sub lagoon, and other rides that have a lot of water. They could also use the only part of dca that wouldn't burn the loggon by the peir. Chances of disneyland burning down by wildfire none unless someone throws a cigarette off the train into the fronteirland woods behind roa.

• Banned User

My last thought right now is Disneyland. I'm more worried because I live pretty close to the fires (nowhere near to being in the line of danger but being rained on by ashes all day at school and seeing BLACK sky). But close enough that alot of my friends are being evacuated. Could you imagine leaving your home behind with only a few possessions and watching it be burned down on the news? I think not.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by EagleWings
    My last thought right now is Disneyland. I'm more worried because I live pretty close to the fires (nowhere near to being in the line of danger but being rained on by ashes all day at school and seeing BLACK sky). But close enough that alot of my friends are being evacuated. Could you imagine leaving your home behind with only a few possessions and watching it be burned down on the news? I think not.
    Well, I can't match that experience exactly, but I did have to evacuate my home for almost two weeks in January 2005 when a hillside in La Conchita came down about four blocks from me, killing ten people.
    I pretty much had to watch on television (actually I wound up in the hospital for most of the evacuation period)to make sure that the mud didn't come down on my house too.
    Thankfully, our section of our little hamlet was spared.
    EagleWings, please know that my thoughts and prayers are with you and your neighbors during this scary time. And I'll buy you a beverage of choice somewhere in the DLR later this year when you're able to look back on it.
    Barry
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Nikon +Disneyland = :)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Radiobarry
    Well, I can't match that experience exactly, but I did have to evacuate my home for almost two weeks in January 2005 when a hillside in La Conchita came down about four blocks from me, killing ten people.
    I pretty much had to watch on television (actually I wound up in the hospital for most of the evacuation period)to make sure that the mud didn't come down on my house too.
    Thankfully, our section of our little hamlet was spared.
    EagleWings, please know that my thoughts and prayers are with you and your neighbors during this scary time. And I'll buy you a beverage of choice somewhere in the DLR later this year when you're able to look back on it.
    Barry
    Barry...
    Would NOW be a good time to MOVE???

• Hooterville, USA

DL wouldn't burn anyway. Just check out the cabin on Rivers of America. It won't stay lit!

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Druggas
    DL wouldn't burn anyway. Just check out the cabin on Rivers of America. It won't stay lit!
    AHAHHAHAHHAH. They should light that sucker back up.

Woodland Hills CA - Hottest spot in Los Angeles City Limits

Quote Originally Posted by MinionLumbo
    i remember it well.

even the Anaheim Fire Department Station on Euclid (just south of Ball) burned to the ground.

what saved Disneyland that day was that the fire was just west of the Park and the winds were blowing west (away from the Park).

but yes, i remember, about 4 city blocks (several hundred apartments) were destroyed.
    That was the "Ball-Euclid Fire" on April 21, 1982. And the whole thing boiled down to two factors - an extremely strong wind event, and an overwhelming majority of the homes and apartment buildings that burned down had old (10 to 40 years) dried out cedar shake shingle roofs. One big ember and that roof caught, then it started shedding bazillions of embers to catch two or three more downwind...

Read more at the Anaheim Fire Department site - seventh paragraph.

That was one of the the big fire disasters that finally led to California totally outlawing wood shake roofing - up until then if your building had shake shingles on it you could be cheap and repair your existing old roof, or add to it if you built an addition on the house. It was stupid beyond belief, but it saved some people a few hundred to a few thousand bucks in not replacing the whole roof.

All the Disneyland and DCA buildings have fire resistant tile, mineral shingle or composition roofs, and they're very good at removing leaf litter and trash - flat built-up composition roofs can catch fire from blown embers, but not very easily.

If there isn't a pile of leaves in a corner of the roof to act as tinder, you practically have to drop burning 1" limbs on the roof to get it going, and big chunks like that don't blow far.

--<< Bruce >>--
    There's No Place Like 127.0.0.1

That was one of the the big fire disasters that finally led to California totally outlawing wood shake roofing - up until then if your building had shake shingles on it you could be cheap and repair your existing old roof, or add to it if you built an addition on the house.
    Wood shake roofs have not been outlawed in California. I know people who just redid a roof of the house this year - in the L.A. South Bay area, and they put on a cedar shingle roof. Maybe certain cities or counties don't allow it, but the state has not banned it.

• Rock Star Minion

Back to topic: today seems to be a bad day to go outside in OC.

Which, of course, means that DL will be empty!

Which, now that I wrote it, means that DL will be crowded!
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• CM for 4 years!

I live off the 241 and this fire is cauing me a whole lot of inconvenience, seeing as how the 241 is my route into North OC (I exit at Santiago Canyon Rd.) I live in Foothill Ranch, with is on the east side of the 241, near Rancho Santa Margarita. Technically, it's a neighborhood in Lake Forest, but it might be unincorporated?

Either way, our community backs up to and wilderness preserve that extends, I think, to all the way over to where the fire is right now. The only hope I cling to is that my neighbors' homes get all burned up before ours (we're on the middle of the street-- no view!) That's what this fire got me thinkin about, not about DL.

And we are by no means rich. About 60% of my parents' household income goes to the mortgage (that's way above what it should be). So to even imply that I deserve to have my house burned down just because I live in a place that backs up to a wildnerness preserve is callous. I'm sorry if someone else is **** poor and lives in a squalid apartment in Carson or something, but we are very lucky to have what we do, and it would be a horrible slap in the face to not only lose it, but be told that we DESERVED to lose it.

But if Disneyland burned down, it would be sad, but then it would also be a great way to start anew and build great new innovative attractions, restaurants, and shops. i.e. DCA should all burn down, and Toontown, and Autopia/Innoventions.

There've been fires at the DL before, just little ones. Like the castle, by Snow White's Grotto, last summer.

I doubt any DL rooves are highly flammable. With all the fireworks goin', I'm SURE all the rooves are made flame-retardent somehow.
    Member of the Disney Class of 2005
    Disneyland CM for 4 years.
    May 6, 2005 - present.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast