Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Banned User

What action would be taken if Disneyland were threatened by fire?

As these wildfires were getting me thinking. I thought what if one of those types of fires ever made it very close and possibly surrounded the park. What action would be taken by firefighters to protect Disneyland?

• Gay Man

Re: What action would be taken if Disneyland were threatened by fire?

Well, the area directly around Disneyland is pretty developed and would probably not be threatened by a brush/wildfire. Anaheim is a HUGE city and the areas that are burning today a re pretty far from the Park.

As for what firefighters would do to protect Disneyland, I'm sure they would do everything they could to protect people's home and lives first, as the most important thing.

• I'm your huckleberry.

Well, considering Disneyland is surrounded for miles around by metropolis, and there is no wildland anywhere close to it, the possibility of the park EVER being threatened by wildfire is nil.

It would take a disaster of War of the Worlds proportions for fire to make it just from State College Blvd to the park, let alone from any dry, grassy areas.

In the staggeringly impossible event that this might happen, I believe the contingency plan is for CM's to do what our forefathers did to protect themselves from wildfire.... hitch up the team and plow a firebreak around the property.

Quote Originally Posted by Senator David Wu (D-OR)
    Don't let faux-klingons send real Americans to war!

Quote Originally Posted by TheHousingBubbleBlog
    Everyone says that the U.S. doesn’t make anything anymore, but that’s not exactly true. We’re the world leader in the manufacturing of bull****.

• Banned User

WDW, which is actually surrounded by miles of wilderness, has canals and firebreaks in the treelines around the parks and contingency plans. In the past, fires caused (via smoke) the closure of major roadways leading into the resort, and brush fire condition warnings being elevated have caused the cancellation of the fireworks shows.

• Sshhh, being very quiet

Quote Originally Posted by Not Afraid
    Well, the area directly around Disneyland is pretty developed and would probably not be threatened by a brush/wildfire. Anaheim is a HUGE city and the areas that are burning today a re pretty far from the Park.

As for what firefighters would do to protect Disneyland, I'm sure they would do everything they could to protect people's home and lives first, as the most important thing.
    Whew! I have plans to stay at Paradise Pier this weekend and would hate to have that ruined

• e komo mai

I'm hoping they have a plan. Because Disneyland only has that one fire engine in their firehouse and Goofy hangs out there a lot. Not a good sign.

• I am a Pluto lover

I thought of this also when I heard about the fire last night.

My Disneyland Challenged bf asked why my first thought wasnt for the poor people whose homes are in danger.

I had to think on that one for awhile. He then pointed out the same as above. DL is too far from the forest areas to be threatened. I felt better.
    LOL
    Mellymouse

(do you think the Finding Nemo Subs line will be under 3 hours by then?)

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by MellyMouse
    My Disneyland Challenged bf asked why my first thought wasnt for the poor people whose homes are in danger.
    Well, most of them aren't all that poor, and no one forced them to live there.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

Well, most of them aren't all that poor, and no one forced them to live there.
    I think the poster meant poor as in deserving pity, rather than poor as in having no money. And...why the callous attitude towards them? Just because no one forced them to live there doesn't mean we shouldn't feel bad for them if their house burns down. I have known a few people whose homes have been destroyed by brushfires - some of them in places you would never think are susceptible. Remember these fire events:

La Costa - Carlsbad, CA
    Normal Heights - San Diego, CA
    Oakland, CA.

These were all fires that consumed large residential areas located very close to what would be considered metropolitan areas. These weren't out in the boonies. I don't think there is any place where people could live in Southern California - outside of a downtown city core - that is truly fire safe.

Back on topic - the good thing about a fire facing Disneyland is that most of the buildings are designed to the highest level of fire safety due to the amount of people occupying the place. There are fire sprinklers, fire doors, fire separations all designed to minimize the dangers during a fire. These types of safeguards can usually check a fire before it gets too out of control. Also, I'm sure there are detailed evacuation plans for just such an occurance.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Nikon +Disneyland = :)

Blog Entries

Some fun thoughts:

1) I can't imagine Disneyland ever having to evacuate due to fire. They might empty individual rides, but a fire would have a tough time moving through the park from within the park. A wildfire is pretty much out of the question. What we REALLY get to worry about is either a terrorist attack or an earthquake. As far as earthquakes go, no major faults directly under the park, but we have some nice ones down near Newport, Whittier, and over towards Yorba Linda. One of these days someone will be sitting in HISTA and think: "Wow! These effects are so REAL! How do they get the ceiling to cave in like that?"

2) If you want to talk about wild fire danger, Six Flags Magic Mountain could be in a world of trouble. Lots of brown hills around there and more than a few roller coasters and structures made of wood.

Makes you warm and fuzzy all over, doesn't it?

As others have noted, the chances of Disneyland being damaged in any way by wildfires in the southern California mountains is infintesimal. Not a chance in heck. In fact the chances of any fire damaging any part of DL are thousands of times greater from within DL, rather than from outside via a wildfire. Wildfires happen only in areas of dense brush, hense the name "brushfire." There simply isn't any "fuel" anywhere near DL to "feed" a brushfire. Residential areas affected by brushfires are generally situated within areas where a tremendous amount combustable brush and timber exist.

Thanks for worrying about our beloved DL, but concern yourself more with incidents like the recent fire at the Grand Californian (electrical) or that grease fire possibility that always exists in any DL kitchen, than from a brushfire.

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by JP12
    I think the poster meant poor as in deserving pity, rather than poor as in having no money. And...why the callous attitude towards them? Just because no one forced them to live there doesn't mean we shouldn't feel bad for them if their house burns down.
    You can feel what you want, and I'll feel what I want.

More troublesome for Disneyland during brushfires is the smoke. It can be hazardous to go outside and breathe a chunk of that smoke. Worse than the smoking areas.
    Hot cinders might make it all the way to DL, but it is not very likely.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Still wants to be a cat!

Years ago there was a massive fire near Disneyland at Ball & Euclid, just down the street from the Park. Hundreds of homes were lost, even my house had sparks fly over from this fire (I'm in Garden Grove). Never heard Disneyland was threatned, but the winds were very strong and the whole area was threatened. Anyone remember this one?
    Mom, remember, it's not what a person is like on the outside that counts,
    it's what they are like in their HEART!

- Wolfette

• Rock Star Minion

OTOH, if DCA were to go on fire, what would the response be like?

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wolfy999
    Years ago there was a massive fire near Disneyland at Ball & Euclid, just down the street from the Park. Hundreds of homes were lost, even my house had sparks fly over from this fire (I'm in Garden Grove). Never heard Disneyland was threatned, but the winds were very strong and the whole area was threatened. Anyone remember this one?
    Wolfy - If I'm thinking of the same thing, the fire involved or started in an apartment complex on Ball east of Euclid (apartments and homes were lost in large part because of wood shake-shingle roofs)....this was I'd say about 1983 or so....(it came nowhere near DL, BTW)...
    PS...I know that the above post about Disneyland's Fire Department was a joke...but having worked in foods there I should point out that Disneyland has an excellent, highly trained fire department of its own and the Anaheim Fire Department would be there in one wave of Tinkerbell's wand, so to speak...
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast