• It's all nonsense

DL Summer Phobia

I have some family that wants to go with my wife and I to DL this year, but they really want to go in late July. I usually follow the rule that whenever school is out then the park will be more crowded. I can only imagine that the upcoming summer months will be even more busy this year on account of the 50th. I want to go in late September or October but I'm slowly loosing the battle. It's coming to the point where we might just not go with the family. The heat + crowds + higher room rates are enough to turn me off for the summer. Am I overreacting, or am I being reasonable?

• Minion

I can pretty well imagine what is in store for you and this being the 50th Anniversary year there are bound to be record crowds wanting to visit the park. My one and only experience with crowding was on the 4th of July in the early '90s.

We had a small gathering for a BBQ at a Disney CM's house and early evening it was suddenly brought up that we should go to DL for Fantasmic and the fireworks. Between the CM's sign in privilege and a silver pass another guest had, our group of 7 drove two miles to the park. Our first indication of trouble should have been the parking situation. When finally got into the park it was like sardines in a can the whole way down Main Street. Forget Fantasmic...couldn't get near FL so we turned around. One of our group started having a panic attack around the hub from the claustrophobic situation so we decided to head home.

I'm sure there are others who thrive on the excitement of capacity crowds but I'd highly recommend waiting for the fall to make the trip. It'll be beautiful, light crowds and the park should still look great with a little wear and tear from the summer mobs.

• Still wants to be a cat!

Late July will be crazy....unless of course you like crowds (some people do). I would definitely try to talk your family into waiting until October, best time to go to the park. Still warm, but the kids are back in school. All the rides should be open, except maybe HM. Crowds will have diminished substantially! You will have a much more enjoyable experience! DL will still be celebrating their 50th, so you won't lose out on that!
    Mom, remember, it's not what a person is like on the outside that counts,
    it's what they are like in their HEART!

- Wolfette

We are going early next month. Our trip is planned after the Easter/spring break rush and before summer gears up. Yes, we will miss the start of the 50th celebration but we will still be able to pick up some of the 50th merchandise. The weather should be nice too. Heck, even if it does rain that just means there will be shorter lines for the rides.
    You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.

• Banned User

My Trip is in July.. from 16-19.. I am not afraid of piek capacity crowds... Just something to plan in...

• DL Fanatic

Sequoia National Park, CA (trying to get to Orange County)
    I would prefer being there between the 15 and the 18th. I womder if there would be a weekly meet on the 17th since it is a Sunday.
    Best interview answer: My biggest weakness is my honesty...I can never remember my lies!

• LoisAlene

Been to DL in all seasons and Summer is definitely the Worst time to go! There is heat, a huge crush of people, extremely long waits for every attraction and ride (can you say 120 minutes for PoC??).
    Is there any particular reason they need to go in late July? Is it's because of school? We've been able to have our kids teachers give us the homework for the week that we're gone, also having the kids do some sort of trip report for extra credit was fun. I guess that depends on the age of your kids. Missing a few days of school isn't the death knell for most kids' education, though.
    We're going the first week in October. The summer crowds will be gone, the Haunted Mansion will be open with the Holiday overlay (rumored) by October 1st. It'll still be warm enough to swim, but not so hot you court sunstroke waiting in the queue's.
    If you get roped into going in July, just remember to bring your sunscreen, waterbottles and Patience! You'll need Lots of all three.

War is over if you want it...

Peace - Love - Mickey Mouse

• Disney worshipper/geek

Quote Originally Posted by The Mad Hatter
    I usually follow the rule that whenever school is out then the park will be more crowded.
    That is kinda year-round, to be honest. There are a lot of year-round school in the area and the way they work is every track (4 tracks) gets every six weeks or so off in rotation. So it really makes little difference than it used to.
    My mind won't rest
    and I don't sleep
    Not even in my dreams...
    -"If You Ever Did Believe"
    written by Stevie Nicks

Chasen Matthew Pacheco
    1985-2005

^^^ That's why I say just go when you know it is going to rain

• It's all nonsense

Quote Originally Posted by Momzilla59
    Is there any particular reason they need to go in late July? Is it's because of school?
    Yeah, one of the parents attends college and they don't like to take the kids out of school for long.
    We'll probably end up going to DL on a friday/sat/sun in the fall to compromise. Which is fine with me...as long as it's not summer.

• It's all nonsense

Quote Originally Posted by sorceress1986
    That is kinda year-round, to be honest. There are a lot of year-round school in the area and the way they work is every track (4 tracks) gets every six weeks or so off in rotation. So it really makes little difference than it used to.
    I was on year-round until high school. But even so, the average person will venture to the park in the summer or during the holidays. I've never been during july, but i've been a week before christmas, and i'll never do that again. So i'm assuming the summer months will be like christmas time. plus i read that you can tell how busy it will be by the park hours, and every day in july DL is open from 8-midnight. a sure sign that it will be crowded.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Momzilla59
    Been to DL in all seasons and Summer is definitely the Worst time to go!

We're going the first week in October. The summer crowds will be gone, the Haunted Mansion will be open with the Holiday overlay (rumored) by October 1st. It'll still be warm enough to swim, but not so hot you court sunstroke waiting in the queue's.
    Very good point that many visitors don't know. If your trip isn't confined to the DLR and you plan to do other things, keep in mind that September and early October can be some of our best beach weather of the season. Water temperatures are often in the 70's. Many are shocked at how cold the Pacific can be on those hot days in mid-summer.

• Senior Minion

November the week before Thanksgiving isn't bad as well. Ive been blessed twice with 70-80 degree days during my visits then.
    1st Amendment-Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.