Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

What is going on with cast members?

I haven't been to the Disneyland Resort for a few years but I was there this past week. I noticed many cast members socializing with each other, to the point where they were pretty much ignoring us in front of them. On one attraction, it was extremely awkward for us as we were just standing there waiting to find out where to go. I haven't noticed this in the past and it made me wonder what has been going on recently with the quality of the cast members Disney is hiring. Maybe I am spoiled from the years past and seemingly high standards Disney is known for. I don't think making a complaint to City Hall would do much good since I noticed this at both parks and it apparently has become accepted behavior.

• Chief Troublemaker

Re: What is going on with cast members?

I have seen this now and again, but if I need help or directions I usually just smile and say 'excuse me' rather than just stand there. They've always stopped chatting immediately to assist me.

I really don't have a problem with CMs (or any employees elsewhere) chatting when there aren't any guests needing them as long as they stop when they need to. It's a stress reliever and helps the day go by faster.
    "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

I'm all for a stress reliever and hoping their day goes by faster, but do it when there isn't someone standing right in front of you listening to what your plans are when you get off work and who you were partying with the night before.

Ah, the classic "grouping" complaint. I used to be incredibly anti-grouping when I first hired in but my new perspective is I'd rather have CMs occasionally group when it's slow and be happy instead of never grouping but being grumpy/short-tempered. I've noticed Disneyland CMs tend to group less but they tend to be grumpier and have shorter tempers. A tactic mentioned to all new hires is the classic sideways conversation. This way you can socialize on-stage with other CMs when it's slower but still be approachable to guests. I think one thing that makes this tactic less effective is the "hug culture" amongst DCA CMs. Post-hug conversations amongst CMs very rarely turn into sideways conversations. That's why I try to keep my post-hug conversations very short. Of course, if it's a CM playing in the park as a regular guest and you're working a slow GSO shift then there is the temptation to spend an extra long time "showing them things on the park map."

Oh, and Managers/Leads are incredibly conscious of grouping. They're always complaining about it and watching out for it. In fact, if I recall correctly a couple of attractions got some of their positions dropped/labor hours cut since a Manager(s) got sick of the grouping. So CMs have a huge incentive to not group. I mean, most CMs don't want to get stuck working Toy Story, Muppets, Fliks, Fun Wheel, Challenge Trail, and GSO shifts if they cut positions at Grizzly, Mermaid, Soarin', Maters, Luigi's, Racers, etc.

ml325, you're not alone. I had a similar experience at one of the stores on Main Street a few weeks ago. When I approached the register to ask a question, the 2 cast members stood at the other end of the counter and continued to talk to each. I was clearly in their view and the store was empty.

I'm all for allowing co-workers to mingle and talk to each other. I've seen many cast members handle this appropriately: cutting the conversation short to acknowledge the customer, answering their question, and when the customer leaves, returning to their conversation.

However, if mingling requires a customer to shout across the store to get their attention, they don't belong in customer service. Unfortunately, this is not the first time I've seen this happen at Disneyland.

• formerly very helpful

Maybe it's the beards?

seriously, though, I've seen it a few times, but not a lot. Although I have no problem interrupting and saying "excuse me, could I have some help?" I've never had a time when a cast member told me to wait or otherwise was unpleasant about it or refused to help me immediately.

•   
    • Minion

I'm with the majority here; I'd rather see CMs talk to each other than stare into space, barred from conversation, but the customers do come first. The only time I had an issue with this was at the Halloween party the first year I went, where the CMs didn't break their conversations at all as they were serving guests on the trick or treat lines.

There's also always the possibility that the CMs are actually discussing something that has to do with their jobs or something that might be happening at the park that needs to be known - I know at my workplace we need to have discussions like that.
    Merida looks like this. Not a Barbie doll!

• Chief Troublemaker

I guess what I'm saying is that I don't have a problem with interrupting them with "Excuse me, can you help me" rather than standing there waiting for them to acknowledge me. I guess other people feel differently, each of us are entitled to our own expectations of customer service.

If they ignored me after I asked for help, then I'd be upset. And I would most likely call them on it & ask to speak to their lead.
    "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

•   
    • Minion

^^^^ Exactly. As long as the CM stops talking and addresses the customer when they ask for help, I don't see an issue.
    Merida looks like this. Not a Barbie doll!

•   
    • Minion

I actually have never experienced a CM ignoring me ever in my life that I can think of. As far as them talking to each other I am all for that. If they don't have fun it will transfer on to the guests.

I would agree with the above statements you can always ask for help instead of just standing there. But if they give you a look or say something rude back then it is a different situation. Again though to my memory I have never been ignored when in the parks trying to buy something or look for something.

• Selfie Expert

I will say that I think the CMs should proactively stop their conversation and offer help, rather than continue their conversation and wait for the guest to interrupt.

Thank you to Poisonedapples for my awesome signature!
    KellyMcG86's Disneyland To Do List

• Minion

ORDDU: In Florida at Epcot in the Norway section of World Showcase, the cast members there have a bad reputation for ignoring guests--at least according to a Guest relations cast member I spoke with a few months ago. Two young female cast members were so engrossed in their conversation with each other that even when I came up to stand directly in front of them, they continue to chat and ignore me. Then, just as I started to say something to them, they both turned and ran off in the opposite direction!!! I registered a complaint at Guest Relations and that's when the Cast member at the counter admitted that this was an ongoing problem that had been reported several times before. I was thanked for reporting it again and was assured it would be addressed.

I understand what people are saying about cast members working in a store, etc. In my case, I was in a line (twice) and approached cast members handing out 3D glasses and stood in front of them while they were chatting. Completely ignored. The other was two cast members at an entrance of an attraction line talking and I was somewhat confused where to go. I stood there being ignored while they were chatting. It just got me thinking about how Disney has changed. Guess its not a big deal to others.

This isn't just at Disneyland/DCA. This is in any and every retail/customer service environment you go to. It just so happens that Disneyland hires human beings, too, who occasionally get the need to want to chat with their friends and co-workers. However, I am NOT condoning this behavior as I work in retail myself. I am very conscientious about the customers and if they walk up to me. I will immediately cut off my conversation with managers/other co-workers (as long as it's not terribly important, and in that case we'll probably be in the back) and assist the customer.

No one working a customer service position should ignore the customer, and they should be more aware of what is going on around them and do their job. Then again, I can say from daily experience that we get several customers who stare off as if looking for something or who appear to be confused. When we ask them if they need any help, they tend to say no or they're "just looking". Sometimes they respond snappily or snarkily, but that's every now and then. So it's really hard to tell sometimes when a person actually needs or wants help. In fact, we've been complained to that we were "too helpful" (I know, right?). We actually had to change our policy within the store because of it.

It's really sort of a two-way road. Don't just stand ten feet from a cast member saying nothing. Sometimes we human beings are wrapped up in our conversations, but are still more than willing to help if you make it apparent. Some of us need that, "excuse me, can I ask a question?" because we do come across all types of people who are incredibly hard to read and we do get our heads bitten off in some cases.

Again, though, it IS the cast member's duty to make that first approach. But if they were standing there completely ignoring you when you knew you had made it quite apparent you needed help--that's a huge problem and someone needs to be retrained.

I am of the opinion that customer service means putting customers first. I also don't believe that customers or guests should ever overhear a private conversation. Two CMs talking about their weekend plans and being overheard by a guest really ruins the entire idea of a "cast member" in my opinion. However as others have noted, if the conversations are brief, not inappropriate, and only occur where there are no guests in proximity, I have no problem with CMs being social with each other if it is within reason.

What needs to happen is a little more employee training. I never see a CM point with their finger, that no-no has been culturally instilled in CMs for years. Based on some of the comments here maybe a little reinforcement of the concept of why guests should not overhear social conversations needs to be raised a bit more often. Think of it this way: if you went to a 5 star restaurant where everything is top-notch, but as you were eating you overheard the busboys off to the side talking about the new motorcycle one just bought; you wouldn't think that the experience reflected a top-notch restaurant. And even while at the supermarket waiting in line to pay for your groceries you overheard two cashiers talking about their plans after work, you couldn't then say that they were putting the customers in that line first in importance. Their job is to quickly and efficiently process guests and answer questions as needed and without distraction. It's really not good when a guest has to say, "excuse me" in order to interrupt two employees having a chat; that should never happen.
    Last edited by Whipland; 06-22-2014 at 11:49 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast