Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Boise Mouse

Cool Attractions we skip because.....

My husband and I are sitting here thinking of the many, many attractions that we have skipped during our visits to DLR and DCA over the last 15 years. As a child in the 70s, I was fortunate enough to take 3 Disneyland vacations. I remember riding the canoes to Tom Sawyer Island, boarding the Mark Twain Riverboat, enjoying the music at the Enchanted Tiki Room, and listening intently to Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln. We have been able to take our kids on 6 Disney vacations, but they were never interested in doing any of those things

We are planning a fall trip, and our (now adult) kids are only going to be able to join us for a few days, so my DH and I are planning on going to many of these attractions that we have skipped over the last 15 years. Thought I would start a discussion about attractions you remember enjoying (or not so much) as a child, skipping them later in life for something more exciting, and then revisited them even later in life. What were your experiences compared to your level of entertainment? Which "non-thrill" attractions should we absolutely NOT MISS?

Re: Attractions we skip because.....

I would start off with Mr. Lincoln. I would have said Captain EO, but too late. Mr. Toad's is a kick and doesn't usually have a long line. Dole Whips go great for Tiki Room. If you could talk a CM into Wheelhouse for the Mark Twain for two of your family, that would be cool. The shops are awesome, hats stitched with names at Mad Hatter are incredible. Let the magic flow.

We did not for some time do Casey Jones or Storybook land... both are charming and, perhaps being a crafter (though some friends are not) I LOVE the details in the tiny villages, home and castles. Agreed, Mr. Lincoln is great! I like the Tiki room, esp the Tiki/thunder storm part of the show. Do not miss the Aladdin show unless you just hate shows, Turtle talk with Crush is great fun, in fact... I can't think of anything we have attended we did not enjoy even if we do not go regularly. Walk through Bugs Land... in fact, other than the blatantly kids attractions (Dumbo, Carousel) the only attraction I would only do if there were no line and someone insisted is the tire attraction in Radiator Springs.... and only with serious ear plugs....

We still have not done all the shows, but... what we have seen are worth many viewings

As a kid I hated when the family wasted a D ticket on the Tiki room. The shooting galleries (when they took tickets) was always skipped.

The following rides were usually skipped because they took too long:

submarine voyage
    canoes

These rides were skipped because they were lame:

Casey Jr. Train
    motor boats
    small world

These rides/attractions were free and were never skipped:

Lincoln
    Inner Space
    Circle-Vision

Autotopia, Autotopia, and Autotopia.

Disneyland Railroad, especially through Primeval World (Walt Disney's personal train set);
    Monorail (Walt Disney's "future train set");
    Mark Twain (the second floor has an infinity mirror effect);
    Tom Sawyer Island (the new pirate cave has some great displays);
    Columbia (how did they circumnavigate the globe in so little space?);
    Looking at the beautiful landscaping that's literally everywhere you look (we/I would rush from ride to ride);
    Look at the Castle just because (it's a castle! in a city! really kind of astounding when you think about it);
    Main Street Transportation (save your feet and wave as you pass people).

I went for the first time as a teenager and have gone a couple of times since then. With the exception of Mr. Toad, Teacups and IASW I haven't done any Fantasyland ides. Also never ridden the Mark Twain. I plan on doing stuff I haven't done before on my next trip.

As a 60s kid, touring was all about lengthening the value of your ticket book. The Mark Twain was a very long ride and a great value. But having spent three years with tourists on the Hudson River I never had an interest on riding another boat that had views of concrete and nowhere to arrive. So never boarded again until a girlfriend was excited about all the historical values she was discovering at Disneyland. We were visiting on a 5 day pass so the excursion was painless but have not ridden since that visit.

Casey jr. I don't remember riding the circus train as a child. I think Dumbo and the magical lever consumed all my tickets even if it was under 2 mins. And Alice. 4 minutes was a long time to ride. But back to the new century and Casey which by the way is the same length of time as the Matterhorn (touring plans). I only ride Casey at night. I find it very nightmarish as a large 6'4 adult, cramped into a cage, the music, the lack of elements to see, flashes of light. Prepares me for the outside world. I can skip everything in Fantasyland with the exception of Casey and Peter Pan and find my trip complete.

Quote Originally Posted by laferney Road kid View Post
    I only ride Casey at night. I find it very nightmarish as a large 6'4 adult, cramped into a cage, the music, the lack of elements to see, flashes of light. Prepares me for the outside world. I can skip everything in Fantasyland with the exception of Casey and Peter Pan and find my trip complete.
    As an adult I am actually afraid of Casey Jr and here are my reasons: When the Casey train was made the average weight of Americans was much less than today. Today a average 13 year old probably weighs 25% more than one in the 1950s. Since Casey Jr is driven by an operator with a throttle control, my fear is that the train could be too top heavy for the narrow tracks, and possibly if going too fast the train might derail from the extra weight and topple over inverted into the Storybook canal.

I can't help thinking of people trapped upside-down in a cage underwater.

Quote Originally Posted by Whipland View Post
    my fear is that the train could be too top heavy for the narrow tracks, and possibly if going too fast the train might derail from the extra weight and topple over inverted into the Storybook canal.

I can't help thinking of people trapped upside-down in a cage underwater.
    You should contact the guy who illegally shot that movie in Disneyland. This would be perfect for a sequel. ;-)

Hey, whipland, you can ride the train after all!!!! Do some research on Bruce bushman.

i usually skip matterhorn because it hurts my girlfriends back, maybe id ride it if there was fastpass for it.

I also skip captain eo because the old 3d makes me tired

• Down Pluto!

Quote Originally Posted by tigga please View Post
    Autotopia, Autotopia, and Autotopia.
    Never heard of that one... Is it near the spooky house?

To answer the original question - why would you skip anything? Makes no sense.

I am Sambo, and I endorse this signature.

I would go on everything if I had the time. Whatever I don't do in a visit I will try to squeeze into my next trip.

Quote Originally Posted by Sambo View Post
    Never heard of that one... Is it near the spooky house?
    My autocorrect> your sarcasm

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast