Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Ok, even Paris has one now. Where is our trackless ride system?

Ok, now that Disneyland Paris opened Ratatouille, that makes Paris, Hong Kong AND Tokyo (All International) Disney parks with the trackless ride system. Disneyland and Disneyworld STILL don't have one.

I still don't understand why they don't have one, nor have any plans to build one. It's such an awesome piece of technology. Not only that, but the set pieces are usually high quality. I've been on Pooh's Hunny Hunt and Mystic Manor, and both are great rides. If they opened something like this here, i think it would give Radiator Springs Racers a run for its money.

Probably the obvious reason is cost. I know these type of rides are expensive to build and maintain, but c'mon what isn't? Also, aren't the US parks more profitable than Hong Kong or Paris? Isn't that why we pay almost $5 for a churro? Or is it because the international parks receive funding outside Disney? I bet you Shanghai Disneyland will be getting one...

The other reason I see, at least for Disneyland, is space. But hey, if there's a will there's a way they can build it. Disneyworld has no excuse, they've got a bunch of land.

Disneyland - 1982 to Present
    Walt Disney World - 1996, 2011
    Tokyo Disney Resort - 2013
    Hong Kong Disneyland - 2013

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Re: Ok, even Paris has one now. Where is our trackless ride system?

Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

Even Pennsylvania is in on the action of the trackless ride system.

C'mon Disney, if these smaller parks can have one why can't a big corporation like yourself at least upgrade an attraction?

Total Tender Rides: 20
    Total Lilly Belle Rides: 9
    Total Dapper Days Attended: 2
    Total Mark Twain Wheelhouse Rides: 5

• Rock Star Minion

So, Imagineers, based in Glendale California, did not create those attractions??
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• First star to the right..

Who says they aren't...

I think whatever they do in tomorrowland, whatever new ride they decide to put in, will have this.

But that's just MHO...

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by sediment View Post
    So, Imagineers, based in Glendale California, did not create those attractions??
    Naw, I believe it was just plain ol, everyday engineers from Nederweert, Netherlands
    Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

I think that WDW will get one before DLR due to space limitations. DLR does have the space for one, though.

• Rock Star Minion

I think I see the issue here, in bold:

Quote Originally Posted by 14 MPH View Post
    The other reason I see, at least for Disneyland, is space. But hey, if there's a will there's a way they can build it. Disneyworld has no excuse, they've got a bunch of land.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Senior Minion

Stop going to the parks and we'll get a trackless ride, pretty simple really.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

• Galactic Member

Isn't Ellen's Universe of Energy and Tower of Terror (fifth dimension room) at WDW trackless?
    Galactic Member

• Nutty about Disney parks

Quote Originally Posted by spacejockey View Post
    Isn't Ellen's Universe of Energy and Tower of Terror (fifth dimension room) at WDW trackless?
    Yes but only for certain segments. Having a full-on trackless dark ride like the ones in the overseas resorts is the goal though.

• Resident of the Caldera

These are NOT "trackless" ride systems. They are called Line-Wire ride systems. While the wire which the large vehicles in Universe of Energy follow rests on top of the floor, in all the modern versions of this ride in Disney parks (starting with Pooh's Hunny Hunt in 2001), the wire is buried in the floor so you can't see it.

The ride sequences are not random, and are not run by GPS or LPS. Every vehicle follows a predetermined pattern which is easily seen on the floor if you look downward because the wheels leave marks.

Why don't we have a seemingly "trackless" dark ride in the US? Because they're expensive as hell to build and maintain, and you may have noticed that the ones in Hong Kong and Paris were built as a Hail-Mary Pass because those parks were in such severe economic trouble. Only the Oriental Land Company, which owns The Tokyo Disney Resort, has actually built two of these rides systems without having an economic gun to their heads.

So, when will we get one in a US park? When Harry Potter makes a big-*** dent in business at The Disneyland Resort. The guys running Walt Disney World are too stupid to see the peril in front of them, and they're able to keep long-term vacationers on WDW property. But that's not the case in Anaheim since most visitors are local day-trippers. With the first part of Harry Potter coming to Universal in the next few years (and the second part getting built not long after that, I'll bet), Disneyland could take a big hit. And then we might see a line-wire ride system with a Marvel or Star Wars theme built at the Disneyland Resort. Until then, good luck.
    Born in a shoebox and making the most of it.

•   
    • Minion

DCA could use this system in PP. I have always brought up the idea of adding a fun house type attraction to the pier. You could use the system like MM, Pooh and now Ratatouille to bring guests on a journey through a fun house. It could easily be themed after the fab five where Mickey gets into mischief and loses control of his fun house. The guests get brought through to see the after math. Or it could be based off an original story.

• Resident of the Caldera

Forget that ... it's going to be used for Star Wars or Marvel--something that will pack in the boys. That's one of the reasons Anaheim got the $35 million version of Pooh, rather than Tokyo's $100 million version--The dumb dumbs at The Walt Disney Company won't spend any sizable money on anything perceived as too childish. It's got to be a thrill ride (no doubt you've noticed the "thrill" aspects of the Ratatouille Ride).
    Born in a shoebox and making the most of it.

The Ratatouille ride looks nice, but it seems like just another dark ride but with a lot of 3D screens with props and scenery put around them like Universal Studios does instead of animatronics. And I honestly don't understand what the big deal is about a trackless system. So you can't see a track in the floor, so what? It's still following something. Each car doesn't have a mind of it's own. I don't think the amount of money needed can be justified for Disneyland or Disney World to either build a new ride to use it or adapt an old one like Peter Pan to use it. Most people wouldn't notice or care about the track. Having new tech is one thing but I think it needs to be something more spectacular than that to get anyone's attention.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast