• MiceChat News Team
    • Supervillan Extrodinaire

Blog Entries

An idea for a new attraction in Tomorrowland

Over 10 years ago a new type of entertainment was invented. While it at first had a large following , the technology eventually became old and forgotten. People complained about the graphics on it, and the fact that while it had possibilities, no one was working to enhance it. Such was the end for virtual reality games. You can still find some around today in places like Dave and Busters, but for the most part this area of interactive entertainment has died.

Enter the world of Apple, Disney, and Lucas. Imagine them reviving this form of entertainment, building on it so it does appear more lifelike, better graphics, and more immersive. Place about 30 – 50 VR booths in above Starcade where the air hockey games used to be, or take out Honey I Shrunk The Audience and put it there. Guests enter via one of two lines and enter their pod.

The game is based upon the space fight scene in ‘Return of the Jedi’. Guests in one line will fly an Empirial fighter while the other line will fly a rebel fighter. Each pod will have a different mission to accomplish and that mission will be randomly generated. The guests will then have 15 min to accomplish their mission and to go for special bonus points by doing extras.

Think of it as a multi-player version of the old game ‘X-Wing’, using todays technology.

Thoughts?

• The one, the only...

Re: An idea for a new attraction in Tomorrowland

I think that it sounds like a very fun ride. I love the idea. I think that for "space fans" like I am it would be a blast.

I think that there are some potentials weaknesses that you will need to work on to make it more practical.

1) First, it sounds like the capacity for the ride would be very low. Remember the extraordinary wait there was for Rocket-Rods. It was popular, but could not handle the crowds. I don't have official numbers but I would guess that you should be able to do at least a 1000 people an hour, probably more.

One solution for this is maybe two tracks of vehicles which represent your two sides. Then the moving screens would represent the battle between each side. The vehicles would move only because one does not need access to the vehicles until the ride ends. It could be on a turn table which then rotates around. When the ride ends, then you get off. The problem with a large turntable is that it wastes a lot of room. That would mean that a track might work better.

Well that gives you an idea of the problem.

2) Your ride should accommodate families. What are the parents going to do during the ride? Do you have other activities that would not be the pilot but still be fun? What if no one pilots or fires, what happens? Could there be a automatic program to the other side still has fun?

Well, there are a couple things to work on to make that idea better. But as I said before, the basic idea sounds very fun to me.
    Jiminy Cricket Fan

Love Disneyland and Walt Disney World!

• MiceChat News Team
    • Supervillan Extrodinaire

Blog Entries

Actually the pods would be stationary and would sit 1 or 2 people (one pilot and one 'gunner'). There would be a video screen in front of them that would show what is going on outside thier 'ship'. Think of it as kind of like a giant videogame where you sit in a booth and play against the opposing team.

You can also make it kind of a people soaker by having more pods or have multiple rooms kind of like what Star Tours has.

• time to go

Quote Originally Posted by OogieBoogie
    Over 10 years ago a new type of entertainment was invented. While it at first had a large following , the technology eventually became old and forgotten. People complained about the graphics on it, and the fact that while it had possibilities, no one was working to enhance it. Such was the end for virtual reality games. You can still find some around today in places like Dave and Busters, but for the most part this area of interactive entertainment has died.

Enter the world of Apple, Disney, and Lucas. Imagine them reviving this form of entertainment, building on it so it does appear more lifelike, better graphics, and more immersive. Place about 30 – 50 VR booths in above Starcade where the air hockey games used to be, or take out Honey I Shrunk The Audience and put it there. Guests enter via one of two lines and enter their pod.

The game is based upon the space fight scene in ‘Return of the Jedi’. Guests in one line will fly an Empirial fighter while the other line will fly a rebel fighter. Each pod will have a different mission to accomplish and that mission will be randomly generated. The guests will then have 15 min to accomplish their mission and to go for special bonus points by doing extras.

Think of it as a multi-player version of the old game ‘X-Wing’, using todays technology.

Thoughts?
    Did you ever get to play 'Badlands' at the 'Airtight Garage' arcade at Sony Metreon, when it first opened?

'Badlands' was a similar "multi-players in pods" kind of space game. The pods were motion-based, with rear-projection screens for the CGI stuff. About two dozen or so were housed in the back of the Garage.

Personally, I preferred HyperBowl.

"Dope smoking insects and reckless driving always work." -- Cousin Orville

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • .-- . .-.. -.-. --- -- .

I like the initial concept, but here is another possible pitfall. Did I read it right that you would go up against other guests? If not, and you are simple up against the computer/system, then this doesn't apply. However, if you are pitting one guest up against another then you are opening the door to a few problems. First off, you are going to have to deal with people who aren't gracious losers (i.e. bad sportsmanship) secondly what is going to stop a person with an AP from coming everyday and practicing? Then when I get there once a year with my six year old, we are poinced on. That doesn't sound like fun to me, as a matter of fact if that was the case, I would complain at City Hall and never return.

However the game does sound fun, just not really an E-Ticket Disney type experience.
    Stalking is when two people go for a long romantic walk together but only one of them knows about it.